SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chinese Powerball winner claims prize in a costume to hide his identity and winnings from his family
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chinese Powerball winner claims prize in a costume to hide his identity and winnings from his family Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I didn't know China had a lottery. Communism has come a long ways.

[Note: hyperlink found at linked website article.]

===================

Lottery Winner Collects Prize in Mascot Costume to Hide Fortune from Family

November 03, 2022
By Tim Binnall

After winning a whopping $30 million in the lottery, a lucky man in China collected the sizeable prize while wearing a mascot costume so that his family would not find out about the fortune. According to a press release from the Guangxi Welfare Lottery, the mysterious individual known only as 'Mr. Li' had been playing for over a decade, but only won a handful of dollars until late last month when he finally hit it big. Remarkably, the man actually slept through the life-changing moment when the winning numbers were drawn and only realized his good fortune when he checked his ticket the following morning. It was then that he came up with a rather clever plan to ensure that his family would not be forever altered by this fortuitous turn of events.

Li journeyed to the city of Nanning, where the lottery is headquartered, and hid out in a hotel for a few days, never straying far for fear that he might somehow lose his ticket. When he finally arrived at the gaming office to collect the prize, he was presented with something of a problem as, similar to how the lottery is conducted in many states here in America, he was expected to meet with the media to talk about winning the enormous jackpot. In response to this predicament, Li somehow acquired a Guangxi Welfare Lottery mascot costume and wore the colorful getup on stage when he was handed the oversized check in front of reporters.

Pressed for an explanation for his unusual attire, the man revealed that his wife and children had no idea that he had won "because I was afraid that they might feel superior to other people and will not work or study hard in future." Incredibly, he has managed to keep his good fortune a secret from them ever since the press conference, although one imagines that many families who have loved ones that play the lottery are now beginning to eye them with a certain amount of suspicion. While he may not be sharing the jackpot with his wife and children just yet, Li did pay if forward by donating a chunk of his winnings to a charity in China and, after taxes, ultimately took home around $24 million.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, I don't blame him for doing that. Many folks who win big seem to say later that it was the worst thing to ever happen to them. Many end up murdered.

Second, he did better after taxes than people here seem to.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I'd pick something more concealable though. Walking up to the lottery office with that big yellow head in your arms kinda gives it away. Big Grin

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many end up murdered.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many end up murdered.
Or broke.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Remembering how my first wife was about money, I can't really criticize the guy. Bottom line, if you feel you have to hide your financial situation from your spouse, you are married to the wrong person.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
they say your odds go up a whole lot, when you buy 1 ticket, but not so much after that...

if I was to win, I'd collect incognito, also
I'd tell my wife, and we would just slowly fade away

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post