SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning the seats in my truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning the seats in my truck Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I got a minor chemical spill on the passenger seat of my truck. I generally don't have passengers but for the rare occasion I'd like to clean it really well.

What do you suggest? Steam cleaning? Bissell type wet vac? A spray?

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
If it has a seat sensor for the air bag, I wouldn't go too wild with it as far as getting it wet. I've used that cloth cleaner in aerosol cans with the brush on top that have worked well for me.

Posts: 1373 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we would get blood or body fluids on our cop car seats(prisoners rode in the front passenger seat cause cages cost money)
We just took the car to the local carpet guy who used a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide to wet/dry vac the seat.
My car had a blue cloth interior and it never hurt the seat.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It might be helpful if we knew what chemical, and what covers the seat...Just sayin' Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It might be helpful if we knew what chemical, and what covers the seat...Just sayin' Wink

Absolutely!
My wife who is a chemist seems to use Resolve Carpet Cleaner on just about everything I seem to get dirty. Might try that.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

• Dimethylamine salt of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) – 30.56%
  • Dimethylamine salt of (+)-(R)- 2-(2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxy)propionic acid – 8.17%
  • Dimethylamine salt of Dicamba: 3,6-dichloro-o-anisic acid – 2.77%

Regular old, cloth seats in my 2020 Chevy 2500HD.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, something I should have mentioned from the start, it's not dirty or stained, there is no residue. I just want the chemical completely removed if any got into the fabric. I'm concerned about safety, not appearance.

The label suggests soap and water for skin contact.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You might check the MSDS for 2,4-D. It might have some useful info.

That shit is possibly carcinogenic. You’re wise to take precautions. If the concentrate got into the fabric (and foam rubber cushion) I would think you’d need to use a lot of water to dilute it, and some means to extract it from the fabric and foam. At a minimum, a shop vac.

Causes damage to organs
Highly flammable liquid and vapour
May cause an allergic skin reaction
Suspected of causing cancer
Toxic if inhaled

Precautions

If medical advice is needed, have product container or label at hand
Keep out of reach of children
Read carefully and follow all instructions.
Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking.
Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/.../equipment
Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray
IF ON SKIN (or hair): Take off immediately all contaminated clothing, Rinse skin with water/shower
Store locked up
Dispose of contents/container to ...

Hazard category

Acute toxicity (3.1), Carcinogenicity (3.6), Flammable liquids (2.6), Skin sensitisation (3.4), Specific target organ toxicity - single exposure (3.8)

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Just to be clear, something I should have mentioned from the start, it's not dirty or stained, there is no residue. I just want the chemical completely removed if any got into the fabric. I'm concerned about safety, not appearance.

The label suggests soap and water for skin contact.
you're going to want to do hot water extraction. Do you have access to a Bissell or similar carpet cleaner with a hose for fabrics?

If you don't have access, rent one.

Walmart sells Chemical Guys Lightning Fast Carpet and Upholstery Stain Extractor. It's very effective.

Steps:
  • Spray liberal amount of upholstery cleaner on seat
  • Agitate with a soft bristle brush. Should foam a little as you're agitating.
  • fill carpet cleaner with hot water. Do not put any chemicals in it.
  • spray hot water and extract side to side then back to front
  • once you no longer see white cleaner in what's being extracted then stop spraying hot water. Just extract until nearly dry.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Technically Adaptive
    posted Hide Post
    Those rug doctor machines you can rent, with the upholstery attachment, would probably be the way to go on that. Let the seat dry out before you set anything on it.

Posts: 1373 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Saluki
    posted Hide Post
    I remember a tank cleaner I used to use to switch between herbicides. It had a pleasant smell and was specifically designed to remove chemicals and residue. Check with the local ag chem guys. 2,4-D and dicamba stink so I understand wanting it gone.

Honest opinion? Buy a new seat at the salvage yard, most especially if it was concentrated material.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
    I remember a tank cleaner I used to use to switch between herbicides. It had a pleasant smell and was specifically designed to remove chemicals and residue. Check with the local ag chem guys. 2,4-D and dicamba stink so I understand wanting it gone.
    i wiped it up as soon as it happened. There is no smell. I’m sure I’m being overly cautious.

quote:
    Honest opinion? Buy a new seat at the salvage yard, most especially if it was concentrated material.
    That’s a little extreme, don’t ya think?

Smarter than the
    average bear
    posted Hide Post
    Not a chemist or chemical engineer, but my suggestion is not to use any kind of cleanser, as it could react with what you spilled. I would just do a good steam cleaning, which is injecting steam/water and vacuuming it out. Maybe repeat the process a few times, then let dry completely.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    We would lend you one of ours if we were closer. Your local Ace Hardware store might have these for rent.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by V-Tail:
    We would lend you one of ours if we were closer. Your local Ace Hardware store might have these for rent.

Thanks, man.

We’re I to buy one of those smaller handheld bissell things, would I regret it?

אַרְיֵה
    Picture of V-Tail
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mark123:

Thanks, man.

Were I to buy one of those smaller handheld bissell things, would I regret it?
    One thing to question: Thermax brand machines, the ones that we supply to local Ace Hardware stores for rent to end-users, as shown in the photo that I posted -- these machines have built-in heaters, with 170°F thermostat. Our competitors, Rug Doctor for sure, and I think Bissell, do not have heaters. They depend on the user filling them with hot tap water, which cools down rapidly as the machine is used. Check to verify whether the Bissell that you are considering has a heater. If not, you might be better off renting a Thermax like ours, if you can find one. Ace Hardware is likely to be your best bet. At one time, U-Haul was renting the Thermax machines, but I believe that they switched to a different brand (without a heater).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    Check out https://www.chemicalguys.com/ they likely have a product that will do the trick.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38243 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    Do you have a wet/dry vac? Wet it with diluted Windex, not too much and the use the vac

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigSwede:
    Do you have a wet/dry vac? Wet it with diluted Windex, not too much and the use the vac
    i do have one.