SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammo cans vs "pelican cases" for humidity-resistant storage...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo cans vs "pelican cases" for humidity-resistant storage... Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
If you wanted to store some medications and wanted to do your best to keep humidity out of the container, do you think and ammo can or a pelican-style (Think the Apache brand at Harbor Freight) would be a better choice?

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd trust the seal on a good condition surplus ammo can way more than a cheap Chinese case from Harbor Freight.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Ammo can. I'd probably vacuum seal it in a food saver bag though.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'd trust the seal on a good condition surplus ammo can way more than a cheap Chinese case from Harbor Freight.

That is a good point indeed... Though I don't generally see actual surplus cans here very much... Mostly just new manufacture type... Something to consider, I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Ammo can. I'd probably vacuum seal it in a food saver bag though.

I was thinking about that too... repacking in mylar or vacuum sealing with some desiccant packs is probably a good idea.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USGI ammo cans , not new production Chinese copies . Put a little o-ring grease on the rubber seal and you'll be good to go .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I go with a vacuum sealed bag in a cheap HF ammo can.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
If buying ammo cans, I would recommend looking to Clean Ammo Cans .com

I've purchased a number of times over the past several years and always been pleased with price and delivery.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a four pack here a week ago.
very pleased with the condition of their grade 1.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32251...7:g:Bg8AAOSwsGBi~mu2

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some USGI cans that were submerged for a couple of days and the ammo inside was bone dry when I opened them .

Posts: 4071 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
USGI ammo cans.
I got most of mine from Uncle Sam, but if you get them aftermarket, clean them and run some silicone grease along the o-ring, and you keep them inside in an A/C controlled area, they will live longer than you.

You can get a little tin of silicone grease at the local lowes in the plumbing area or if you are near a dive shop they have it to help seal a mustachioed diver’s mask (and it’s usually cheaper)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
USGI ammo cans.
I got most of mine from Uncle Sam, but if you get them aftermarket, clean them and run some silicone grease along the o-ring, and you keep them inside in an A/C controlled area, they will live longer than you.

You can get a little tin of silicone grease at the local lowes in the plumbing area or if you are near a dive shop they have it to help seal a mustachioed diver’s mask (and it’s usually cheaper)
Auto parts stores carry silicone O-ring grease .

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
USGI ammo cans.

Auto parts stores carry silicone O-ring grease .

As do pool supply stores

Posts: 23589 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much are we talking about?
There's pelican style cases in a bunch of different sizes.

There's a humidor that's about 1/3 the sizes of an Ammo Can. It's air tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Elevate...id=1693800087&sr=8-2

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
How much are we talking about?
There's pelican style cases in a bunch of different sizes.

There's a humidor that's about 1/3 the sizes of an Ammo Can. It's air tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Elevate...id=1693800087&sr=8-2

Hmmm, that might be a bit small but it looks very interesting indeed. The price is certainly right.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Twice I've gone to open the ammo can I've been storing a CO2 Sig P365 in and it seems the cartridge in the pistol leaks over time... when I flip the latch open the dern lid flys up with force. Seems this ammo can is very air tight and this one has to be at least 30 years old.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Where exactly do you plan on storing the medication? Vehicle? At home in a closet?

If vehicle, Id probably consider not storing them in the vials as the vibration and shaking may beak down tablets over time, maybe pour them loose in the vacuum bags and seal it with the labels included inside.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where exactly do you plan on storing the medication? Vehicle? At home in a closet?

If vehicle, Id probably consider not storing them in the vials as the vibration and shaking may beak down tablets over time, maybe pour them loose in the vacuum bags and seal it with the labels included inside.
Medications should be carried in their original packaging . Especially if you're going to travel with it . My wife makes " pill packs " with her daily meds and my son the Deputy , is always fussing at her about it .

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shelf in a pantry.

I kind of like the idea of repacking in Mylar and vac sealing that, but I also like the idea of storing in original packaging to maintain the various info that the labels contain… not sure where I’ll land on that front.