SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mystery Why Battery For Key Won't Work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Why Battery For Key Won't Work Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted
I'm befuddled. I bought some Energizer CR2016, 3 volt, lithium batteries to swap out for the Panasonic CR2016's in my key for my 2015 RAV4. Old were still good but wanted fresh ones. New ones just won't work. Voltage good at 3.2 volts. Tried old ones and ok so went back to try new ones again and just won't work. The size is identical and the style CR2016 is also identical. This is crazy.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
You verify that there isn’t a sticker on the back side of the new battery?

Could also just be a bad batch.

Posts: 252 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Check the package. Are they coated with the stuff that makes babies spit them out?

If so, just rub them down with alcohol. I had the same problem with batteries for my AirTag. The connectors in the AirTags didn’t penetrate the creepy candy coating.

Posts: 3018 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
Check the package. Are they coated with the stuff that makes babies spit them out?

If so, just rub them down with alcohol. I had the same problem with batteries for my AirTag. The connectors in the AirTags didn’t penetrate the creepy candy coating.

This - I had same issue with my AirTags and Duracell 2032’s. A couple didn’t even want to work after the alcohol so I gave them a quick buff with one of my wife’s Emory boards (please to tell her…)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10966 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For some vehicles it may be necessary to go through a reset/re-pairing sequence with the vehicle when a key fob's battery is replaced.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
For some vehicles it may be necessary to go through a reset/re-pairing sequence with the vehicle when a key fob's battery is replaced.

That can't be it because I swapped the old guys in and they worked. Tried new again... no go. Back to old batteries and good. There was no film on them or I wouldn't have been able to read the 3.2 volts that the new guys put out. I'm thinking of ordering some Panasonic batteries that will be identical to the OEM ones but shpuldn't have to.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
That can't be it because I swapped the old guys in and they worked.
My bad. I missed that in your OP.

I got nothing. I'd be befuddled, too.

ETA: Is it possible the new batteries are bad? Bad batteries may appear good measured with a multi-meter when they're not under load, but fail under load.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible the new batteries are bad? Bad batteries may appear good measured with a multi-meter when they're not under load, but fail under load.

I've had that happen more than once on a brand new battery.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16402 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Many of the newer tech. batteries have a failure mode rarely seen in carbon-zinc cells, a dead short. These will show voltage on a low-draw multimeter, but go to zero under load. You can check with an ohmmeter (I think), not sure what a nominal resistance rating should be, but somebody with better 'lectricskillz than me will hopefully chime in, I = V/R you know.

Posts: 6528 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Maybe a coating as fwbulldog said.

That way hungry kids don't confuse the batteries with silver M&Ms.

Posts: 9180 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
There's a metric sh*t ton of button cells that are for sale out there on the web that are old. Also counterfeits are rampant, especially on Amazon.

I have bought several packs of differing types and sizes from amazon, mainly cuz they were cheap. It seems cheap usually equals crap when it comes to button cells.

I'm certain that the bulk of the counterfeits are Chinese in origin.

Posts: 7273 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to buy some CR2032's last week and Menards had 2 kinds of Duracell CR2032. One pkg looked like plain old CR2032's. The other kind had a note on it that said something about "apple air tag safe" or something similar - and those were $1.00 more per battery.

Any ideas? I bought the cheaper ones.

Posts: 586 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Needed some a year ago for my key fob. Bought a package of 6 or something like that on Amazon. I think half of them didn't work right.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are they fully seated? Sometimes you really have to give them a good firm push to snap them in to make contact.

Posts: 33912 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ETA: Is it possible the new batteries are bad? Bad batteries may appear good measured with a multi-meter when they're not under load, but fail under load.

This. It's very possible for a battery to have volts, but fall on it's ass when a load is applied to it. It can't produce current, so a load probably drops the volts way down.

As I remember 3 volt button cells often measure 3.5 volts for me when new.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Clean off the smutch on the circuit board under the pressure pads.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I've ordered some Panasonic CR2016 batteries. That's what Toyota used originally. I'll let youse guys know haw it works out. This is crazy.

John

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally: I just opened a 2-pack of Energizer CR2016s I bought for an old stopwatch I'm reviving. The one I installed measured 3.288 VDC, open load, with my Fluke digital multimeter.

posted Hide Post
I've had issues with the child protection coating as well. Same as you - a multimeter showed the correct voltage. My only thought was that the contacts in the remote (two different ones - my logitec and one for my trolling motor) we're strong enough to penetrate it. I wiped it down with acetone and then they worked fine.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1750 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Energizer CR2016, 3 volt, lithium batteries

Found nothing in the specifications about being coated

Link

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post