SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GNBA! [Go Navy, beat Army!]
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GNBA! [Go Navy, beat Army!] Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
GO NAVY!!!!!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
This game is the only game, where everyone on the field playing, is willing to sacrifice everything, put their life on the line, and die for everyone watching.

I thought Coach Jeff Monken originally said this, it may not be known who first said these words. It happens that I’m pulling for Army, because of family and friendships, but it’s always, always, a game that goes well beyond the end zones in its impact on Americans, especially those in uniform. God Bless ‘em all

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Go figure

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who in the hell designed these uniforms? Phil Knight on psychededlics? It takes away from the game and its traditions. BTW athletes on both teams can now join the NFL and fufill their military obligations later.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Is army playing NASA or navy? “I don’t get it Big Dan”.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Is army playing NASA or navy? “I don’t get it Big Dan”.

I believe Navy is celebrating the fact that more astronauts have been from the Navy than any other branch of service.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Oh. Bring back the old uniforms. Advertising on player's uniforms belongs with the NASCAR crowd.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Go Army!

I see they’re winning too

A Navy Vet friend of mine texted me about “that blue, red and yellow triangle on Army’s helmets”, I looked it up and saw they all have a 1st Armored Division patch on their helmets this year:

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^
Oh. Bring back the old uniforms. Advertising on player's uniforms belongs with the NASCAR crowd.

Ummmm…you DO realize the Services are having trouble recruiting right now?

There’s nothing wrong IMO with advertising for your service during this game.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah I bet tons of teens are spending their afternoon cheering on their favorite military academy. Give me a break! The helmets look ridiculous.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Army vs. Navy uniforms, explained: The stories behind unique designs for 2022 football rivalry

quote:

Army will sport the "Old Ironsides" uniform on Saturday, which honors the 80th anniversary of the 1st Armored Division, the U.S.'s first armored division to see battle in World War II.

Likewise, Navy will feature an astronaut-themed look that honors the branch's historical ties to NASA. The Naval Academy has produced 54 astronauts, more than any other university in America (including, of course, the Air Force and West Point).

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well how delightful! I have seen both Army and Navy play several times with the traditional uniforms. {In person I might add}. They wore traditional uniforms and the student body was a good part of the game. Maybe the West Point cadets should add advertising to their uniforms. It seems that tradition matters little to you.
The colors also do not go together.

I am more than aware of the recruitment problem, and resent your implication. If you do advertise give kids tickets to Top Gun Maverick.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I love the Army helmets! The Navy... Meh.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m glad the Army helmets were mentioned here; that prompted me to see what the hate was all about.

This was from an Air Force Times article:
“This includes a streamer at the front, which combines elements of the American Defense Medal ribbon and an arrowhead on the Algeria-French Moroccan streamer symbolizing Operation Torch’s amphibious assault.”

My combat engineers father was in that operation and wore what I believe was that ribbon, but it was long ago I last saw it and may be getting things confused. I do distinctly remember the arrowheads he had on ribbons for that amphibious assault and the invasion of southern France. I never began to appreciate what he went through until long after his retirement and death.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a Naval Academy grad. I thought the Army uniforms looked like Army football uniforms for their branch service academy. The Navy looked ridiculous. If the Naval Academy has more IRS agents do we get that uniform next year? NASA is a federal agency with no actual Navy ties. It’s not like we don’t have enough history to honor actual Navy events, ships, planes, Marines, battles, etc. Stupid.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My first (unkind) thought when it was pointed out that the Navy has provided more astronauts than the other services was to wonder why they had more people who wanted to jump ship (in a manner of speaking) and leave the service to work for a civilian agency. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Saw the second half of the game. Only saw two patches from a Navy/USMC units on the Canoe U jerseys. I remember being a dumb fuck Ensign fresh out of school assigned to a VF squadron seeing our unit patch on a jersey while my happy ass being on a carrier in the fucking gulf watching the game on a shitty AFN satellite feed 20+ years ago.

Posting while drunk, and some indirect ties to the Army, I have to admit their jersey was good. And I hope they enjoy the trip back to upstate New York rocking out to Nickleback.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Great game.

Loved the army’s uniform this year. Very cool. The navy’s not so much.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post