Originally posted by SigSentry: So, if the form 3 is considered a "birth certificate" is there or will the be an equivalent "death certificate" ? I assume the NFRTR will link to each 4473 so the IOI knows where it went? None of this really applies to me as my state must comply with NFA (form 4). And in Texas, correct me if I'm wrong, a valid LTC allows you to bypass the background check?
Looked like a good day for the food/ice cream trucks
the manufacturors data and report of manufacture sent to the ATF when it was made / added to the registry would be the birth cert, the form 3 is dealer to dealer,
and since it is entered into the dealers bound book, the logged out to the buyer, form 4 or not, it would still be traceable, (regardless if your state has the CCW bypass or not)
still waiting to hear how one would identify and record the buyers qualifications, on the 4473
"The new NFA suppressor ruling is already creating major confusion for gun owners and FFLs. Some dealers are moving forward with qualifying suppressor transfers without an ATF Form 4, while other FFLs say they’ve been told by ATF personnel to continue with “business as usual” until additional guidance is issued.
In this video, we break down what the federal court actually ordered, what ATF personnel are reportedly telling dealers, why Silencer Shop and SilencerCo are moving forward with certain no-Form-4 transfers, and why other gun stores are refusing to take that risk just yet.
We also look at one of the biggest unanswered questions: what happens to an FFL’s NFA inventory records when a suppressor leaves the dealer without an approved Form 4? And more importantly, can ATF’s lack of guidance effectively hold up relief that a federal judge has already ordered?
This situation is moving quickly, so gun owners need to understand the difference between a qualifying transaction under the injunction and simply assuming the Form 4 is gone everywhere."
'veritas non verba magistri'
August 19, 2026, 05:15 PM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
"The new NFA suppressor ruling is already creating major confusion for gun owners and FFLs. Some dealers are moving forward with qualifying suppressor transfers without an ATF Form 4, while other FFLs say they’ve been told by ATF personnel to continue with “business as usual” until additional guidance is issued.
In this video, we break down what the federal court actually ordered, what ATF personnel are reportedly telling dealers, why Silencer Shop and SilencerCo are moving forward with certain no-Form-4 transfers, and why other gun stores are refusing to take that risk just yet.
We also look at one of the biggest unanswered questions: what happens to an FFL’s NFA inventory records when a suppressor leaves the dealer without an approved Form 4? And more importantly, can ATF’s lack of guidance effectively hold up relief that a federal judge has already ordered?
This situation is moving quickly, so gun owners need to understand the difference between a qualifying transaction under the injunction and simply assuming the Form 4 is gone everywhere."
lots of words from someone not in the biz, he keeps talking in circles, with out knowing what a FFL/SOT has to go thru,
Was out at the range today to pickup a PSA transfer, asked the FFL guy and the Range isn't going to do transfers without a form 4, period.
to paraphrase, "there has been no guidance from the ATF that we can transfer suppressors with just a 4473, until such a time that the ATF makes a decision on how to handle them, it's business as usual, you need a form 4, we're not going to risk the business for it"
August 19, 2026, 07:32 PM
parabellum
To behave otherwise would be folly.
August 19, 2026, 09:48 PM
StorminNormin
I did order a suppressor from Silencer Shop and it is being sent to an FFL who will do it without a Form 4. It has been a LONG time since I have bought an NFA item snd the big reason I went to a trust was the pain of getting local LE to sign off on the form as an individual. Now that it is no longer required and the $200 stamp is no longer required, I am just going to ask them to do it as an individual Form 4 and I will just wait the extra short period of time so I have zero worries.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
August 19, 2026, 10:29 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
lots of words from someone not in the biz, he keeps talking in circles, with out knowing what a FFL/SOT has to go thru,
Yup. Like most of these videos, they are about pandering to people for likes and clicks.
Any FFL that transfers stuff with a Form 4 won’t be in business in two years.
________________ People hate you. Train like it.
August 20, 2026, 07:09 PM
ibanda
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda: I just threw caution out the window and punched thru a big silencer order at Silencer Shop. They will have to ship it to my local dealer in Oklahoma. We'll see if I can get out the door without a bunch of delays and paperwork!
My Silencer Shop order from 7 days ago arrived at my local dealer this afternoon. Walked in showed him my Oklahoma Handgun License (skips the NICs check) filled out a 4473, walked out with a half dozen suppressors 20 minutes later. No NFA background check!
"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
August 20, 2026, 09:58 PM
Tuckerrnr1
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
lots of words from someone not in the biz, he keeps talking in circles, with out knowing what a FFL/SOT has to go thru,
Yup. Like most of these videos, they are about pandering to people for likes and clicks.
Any FFL that transfers stuff with a Form 4 won’t be in business in two years.
Hey YouTube asshole, get an FFL and put your money where your mouth is. Put families well being and your livelihood at risk for principle. Yeah thought not.
_____________________________________________ I may be a bad person, but at least I use my turn signal.
August 20, 2026, 10:46 PM
harvey976g
Early on the 13th I ordered a PTR Vent 3 from Silencer Shop, on the 16th I got an email saying my "Ready to pickup from your dealer". Yesterday I got another email from Silencer Shop requiring a signature. I log in and I am electronically signing a Form 4, I submit and not status changed. Now the status changed to Dealer Transfer " We have received the necessary Form 3 approval from the ATF to ship your item to your selected dealer".
I didn't actually think that it would be as clear as they made it out to be. I was not in a hurry, I have 3 other suppressors that have been approved for over a month and half that I haven't had a chance to pickup. When I called my local dealer last week he said he was swamped and to give him a few extra days because he was swamped.
August 24, 2026, 09:05 AM
Black92LX
Seems like a step in the right direction. 4 FFLs that have been transferring suppressors on 4473s have been audited by their local ATF IOI after making those transfers and ALL PASSED THEIR AUDITS.
———————————————— The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you!
September 01, 2026, 05:02 AM
Black92LX
The ATF says they will not be taking enforcement action against protected parties!
There's a lot of misinformation circulating about the recent NDTX ruling in Jensen v. ATF; including a headline claiming, "ATF is Furious and We Are Planning Brutal Revenge on Gun Owners."
The source? You guessed it: unnamed anonymous sources. It's completely FALSE.
**More importantly - ATF respects the Court's ruling and the rule of law. We are following the order and will not take enforcement action against protected parties inconsistent with that ruling. We are working diligently on clear guidance. Getting it RIGHT matters more than getting it out fast.
That means carefully navigating federal and state laws so that manufacturers, FFLs, and law-abiding gun owners aren't left with legal problems - today or under a future administration.
Thank you for your patience as we focus on developing the guidance. It will be posted online as soon as we are done. The American public and the 2A community deserve facts NOT clickbait.
———————————————— The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you!
September 01, 2026, 05:55 AM
12131
^^^^ Try to imagine the ATF under the Kackle administration. So grateful Trump won.
Q
September 01, 2026, 12:56 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by 12131: ^^^^ Try to imagine the ATF under the Kackle administration. So grateful Trump won.
Between the changes to the NFA in the BBB and this, I never ever want to hear from another "gun guy" about bump stocks or "take the guns first and go through the process after." The man had some 2A missteps that didn't really amount to much in his first administration vs effectively rendering most of the NFA null and void after nearly a century in his second. Easily the biggest 2A wins by any president I can think of. "Grateful" doesn't even start to cover it, this is truly monumental.
______________________________________________ "If the truth shall kill them, let them die.”
Endeavoring to master the subtle art of the grapefruit spoon.
September 01, 2026, 04:16 PM
Oat_Action_Man
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX: The ATF says they will not be taking enforcement action against protected parties!
There's a lot of misinformation circulating about the recent NDTX ruling in Jensen v. ATF; including a headline claiming, "ATF is Furious and We Are Planning Brutal Revenge on Gun Owners."
The source? You guessed it: unnamed anonymous sources. It's completely FALSE.
**More importantly - ATF respects the Court's ruling and the rule of law. We are following the order and will not take enforcement action against protected parties inconsistent with that ruling. We are working diligently on clear guidance. Getting it RIGHT matters more than getting it out fast.
That means carefully navigating federal and state laws so that manufacturers, FFLs, and law-abiding gun owners aren't left with legal problems - today or under a future administration.
Thank you for your patience as we focus on developing the guidance. It will be posted online as soon as we are done. The American public and the 2A community deserve facts NOT clickbait.
That's not an accurate paraphrasing by the ATF director of what the so-called revenge tour would be, as far as I understand what the anonymous sources were saying. It was specifically a group within ATF and DOJ who are plotting for [u]a change of administration[/u]. As in two or even more years from now. The sources were not implying the current ATF/DOJ under a Trump administration was going to come after people doing 4473 transfers.
Beyond that, I don't believe there is even agreement on who the "protected parties" are. There are numerous parties and multiple states and of those states, I think the attorneys general don't even agree. Some are indicating that it's not individual citizens, but municipalities or some such.
That's my understanding from listening to lots of the lawyer overviews.
----------------------------
Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"
Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
September 01, 2026, 05:14 PM
Rick Lee
I ordered a can for a customer from Silencer Shop today. If he's a GOA member, he should be good to go with just a 4473, right? Last week I ordered one from Lipsey's because SS was out of stock. But Lipsey's gets the can from SS. Both distributors Form 3 to me, which means those cans show in my eForms account inventory until I Form 4 them out. I don't see a way around this.
Freewill Firearms 07 FFL, Class 2 SOT
September 01, 2026, 05:27 PM
jljones
The fact that it gets form 3 to you tells you all you need to know.
You are getting set up to be the guy without a chair when the music stops.
________________ People hate you. Train like it.
September 01, 2026, 05:33 PM
Rick Lee
I agree, which is why I still do Form 4s. Hell, the latest one was approved before the silencer even shipped to me.
Freewill Firearms 07 FFL, Class 2 SOT
September 01, 2026, 06:01 PM
jljones
My LGS is still doing Form 4s. Funny thing is they get 50 phone calls a day wanting to know if they were transferring via 4473. When they say no and explain how easy it is to do a Form 4, they get all huffy and hang up.
________________ People hate you. Train like it.
September 02, 2026, 05:02 AM
mrvmax
quote:
Originally posted by jljones: My LGS is still doing Form 4s. Funny thing is they get 50 phone calls a day wanting to know if they were transferring via 4473. When they say no and explain how easy it is to do a Form 4, they get all huffy and hang up.
There are a lot of fuds online who think they know everything and are quick to say how cowardly FFL’s are for not just selling on a 4473. I tell them to go ahead and get their FFL and start selling off a 4473 and show us how it is done.
In reality, they have no clue what they are talking about and even the lawyers have differing opinions. When the ATF finally comes out with their direction for FFL’s (and it is in writing), then I will change the way things are done. I do think in the next administration there will be some people who will be fighting the fed gov. And I am sure there will be plenty of YouTube evidence of the allegations since people are so stupid to provide evidence.