SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Female Air Traffic Controller with a history of being argumentative argues with experienced pilot. Sign the petition to remove her
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female Air Traffic Controller with a history of being argumentative argues with experienced pilot. Sign the petition to remove her Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
PASig- Butterflies, puppies, Jesus and sno-cones

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Surprised she doesn't have a hyphenated last name.

Posts: 3012 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This was local news here in OKC last week because the principle ATC training is at the FAA facility in OKC. Seems a bit sketchy to me, perhaps a way to hide DEI decisions.

"College Controller Grads To Skip FAA ATC Academy

The FAA is allowing graduates of college and university air traffic control programs to skip training at its own ATC academy in Oklahoma City and go directly to on-the-job training at ATC facilities. The measure was among a series of immediate actions announced by the agency to boost ATC recruitment and increase staffing levels at facilities across the country. A shortage of controllers has been a common theme in various studies, reports and seminars on a spate of runway incursions and losses of separation in the past year. Skipping the academy for college ATC grads should increase capacity at the academy for other prospective controllers.

Previously, graduates from accredited Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) programs had to go to the Oklahoma academy for at least seven weeks of the 12-week program there to get them ready for a facility. Those with degrees will now go straight to an operational ATC unit where they’ll begin the one- to three-year on-the-job training segment of their career. “The FAA will work with AT-CTI programs to ensure that graduates from these programs have the necessary skills to begin on-the-job training at a facility,” the agency said. “These graduates still must pass the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (ATSA) exam and meet medical and security requirements.” After finishing their supervised training, they become certified controllers. We’ve asked the National Air Traffic Controllers Association for comment on the move but didn’t hear back in time for our deadline.

AT-CTI trainees make up a significant number of applicants for ATC jobs so bypassing the academy for them should free up seats in the full 12-week program that so-called “off-the-street” trainees must undergo. The FAA will accept applicants who don’t go the university route provided they have work experience and/or education that make them suitable candidates. All candidates have to pass rigorous screening before being accepted for training by the FAA.

The agency said in its Friday statement it is also expanding the ATC academy and will ensure that every seat is filled. It will offer year-round acceptance of already-trained military and private-sector controllers and will have a total of four advanced training facilities in operation around the country by next spring. It also recently bought ATC simulators and will have them in 95 facilities by the end of 2025. The agency also intends to keep working on its safety culture with internal reporting structures and the continuation of safety meetings at ATC facilities."

LINK TO STORY, CLICK or found at Avweb dot com if the link doesn't work.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
According to the FAA, Denton is a Federal Contract Tower (FCR) which means the ATCs there are not FAA ATCs, they are employees of a contractor.

From the FAA:
“Contract towers are air traffic control towers that are staffed by employees of private companies rather than by Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) employees. The FAA Contract Tower (FCT) Program was established in 1982 to allow the agency to contract out the operation of certain towers.”

FAA link

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

According to the FAA, Denton is a Federal Contract Tower (FCR) which means the ATCs there are not FAA ATCs, they are employees of a contractor.
During my more than fifty years of flying, both as a commercial pilot (corporate type) and as a flight instructor, I had very few interactions with Air Traffic Controllers that were less than professional. Of the few that were problematic, almost all of them were either with Contract Towers, or with trainees.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Yes, KDTO is a contract tower. Not FAA personnel.

Also, as to the FAA's apparent move to have college grads skip the academy at the MMAC:

Big mistake.

There are three traditional sources for controllers in the FAA:

1) Former military controllers

2) the College Training Initiative grads (kids who went to aviation specific programs)

3) 'Off the street' hires (folks who come from any background...including current/former pilots)

There needs to be a common filter (MMAC) to run all three types thru to see if they can do the job.

I have worked with all three types and I have seen those that were really good and those that needed to find employment elsewhere. It did not matter the background.

To automatically assume some kid that ponied-up $80 to $100K is automatically going to be a controller is insane.

In the end...it matters not what background you have. To be successful in ATC, one has to be able to see AND think in three dimensions. To be able to visualize objects moving thru time and space; recognize aircraft in conflict and be able to resolve said conflicts.

Posts: 1299 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yup. There isn't a f---ing RESET button on the panel of a radar screen in TRACON. There are no second chances or room for "OOOPS" or tolerance for a MAJOR f--- up with hundreds of people's lives at stake. Certainly a recipe for disaster, in my not so humble professional opinion.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk quote (last paragraph) says it all...

FAA’s diversity push includes focus on hiring people with ‘severe intellectual’ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is actively recruiting workers who suffer "severe intellectual" disabilities, psychiatric problems and other mental and physical conditions under a diversity and inclusion hiring initiative spelled out on the agency’s website.

"Targeted disabilities are those disabilities that the Federal government, as a matter of policy, has identified for special emphasis in recruitment and hiring," the FAA’s website states. "They include hearing, vision, missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, epilepsy, severe intellectual disability, psychiatric disability and dwarfism."

"Do you want to fly in an airplane where they prioritized DEI hiring over your safety?" tech billionaire Elon Musk wrote on X last week. "That is actually happening."

Rest of article at link

Posts: 619 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ FUBAR & SNAFU & BOHICA.^^^^^

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2S6ys_XZCU

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ HAHAHAHA I've seen that movie a few times and my favorite scene is "Jethro Airlines".

If you know, you know Jethro Airlines.

posted Hide Post
We’re witnessing the collapse of our complex systems.

Posts: 349 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
This was local news here in OKC last week because the principle ATC training is at the FAA facility in OKC. Seems a bit sketchy to me, perhaps a way to hide DEI decisions.

"College Controller Grads To Skip FAA ATC Academy

The FAA is allowing graduates of college and university air traffic control programs to skip training at its own ATC academy in Oklahoma City and go directly to on-the-job training at ATC facilities. The measure was among a series of immediate actions announced by the agency to boost ATC recruitment and increase staffing levels at facilities across the country. A shortage of controllers has been a common theme in various studies, reports and seminars on a spate of runway incursions and losses of separation in the past year. Skipping the academy for college ATC grads should increase capacity at the academy for other prospective controllers.

Previously, graduates from accredited Air Traffic-Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) programs had to go to the Oklahoma academy for at least seven weeks of the 12-week program there to get them ready for a facility. Those with degrees will now go straight to an operational ATC unit where they’ll begin the one- to three-year on-the-job training segment of their career. “The FAA will work with AT-CTI programs to ensure that graduates from these programs have the necessary skills to begin on-the-job training at a facility,” the agency said. “These graduates still must pass the Air Traffic Skills Assessment (ATSA) exam and meet medical and security requirements.” After finishing their supervised training, they become certified controllers. We’ve asked the National Air Traffic Controllers Association for comment on the move but didn’t hear back in time for our deadline.

AT-CTI trainees make up a significant number of applicants for ATC jobs so bypassing the academy for them should free up seats in the full 12-week program that so-called “off-the-street” trainees must undergo. The FAA will accept applicants who don’t go the university route provided they have work experience and/or education that make them suitable candidates. All candidates have to pass rigorous screening before being accepted for training by the FAA.

The agency said in its Friday statement it is also expanding the ATC academy and will ensure that every seat is filled. It will offer year-round acceptance of already-trained military and private-sector controllers and will have a total of four advanced training facilities in operation around the country by next spring. It also recently bought ATC simulators and will have them in 95 facilities by the end of 2025. The agency also intends to keep working on its safety culture with internal reporting structures and the continuation of safety meetings at ATC facilities."

LINK TO STORY, CLICK or found at Avweb dot com if the link doesn't work.

I don't think they're particularly concerned at hiding anything:

"The Secretary of Transportation has set a hiring goal of three (3) percent per fiscal year for individuals with targeted (severe) disabilities.

Targeted disabilities are those disabilities that the federal government, as a matter of policy, has identified for special emphasis in recruitment and hiring. The targeted disabilities are:

Hearing (total deafness in both ears)
Vision (Blind)
Missing Extremities
Partial Paralysis
Complete Paralysis, Epilepsy
Severe intellectual disability
Psychiatric disability
Dwarfism"

FAA Outreach for DEI

“The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable...”
― H.L. Mencken

-All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Posts: 4842 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
A controller at PDK got a pilot in trouble killed.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39874 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

A controller at PDK got a pilot in trouble killed.
Tell us "the rest of the story."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I googled how to do brain surgery so if any forum member needs one, I'm willing to give you a substantial discount.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
Would you every make the midpoint of the runway a landing target?? Maybe massive runway, small plane, but outside that it seems like the latest possible spot and in the airplane land of lets try and be on the safe side of the grey line that is nuts.

My point is, is she in fact wrong?

Yes, I'll generally ask for a short approach (My preferred approach is power off abeam the numbers. If every landing is a power off landing, then if you ever have an engine failure it is just another landing. All you have to do is figure out where.) and if there is enough gap behind me and I'm done for the day I'll often ask for a short approach and long landing off at Charlie. The hangar is 3/4s of the way down the runway and a long landing avoids a long taxi after landing.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
This one didn't end well either

https://youtu.be/mf3xhjXl454

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10993 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why there needs to be a petition. Can't the FAA investigate and make a ruling into this. If she is wrong she should be written up, apologize and take additional training. seems simple.

Posts: 7875 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A few more holes in this Swiss cheese, and I feel like we're fixing for another major air disaster in this country.

Swiss Air jet nearly collides with four other planes on JFK runway

A Swiss Air jet nearly crashed into four other planes at JFK airport after a communications error put them on the runway at the same time.

The Zurich-bound Swiss Air flight had been cleared for takeoff on April 17 and began rushing down the runway, but hit the brakes after noticing that air traffic control also cleared the path for four other planes, ABC 7 reports.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/23/...yp&utm_medium=social

blancolirio covers it here and more...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post