SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Egg beaters vs. whisks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Egg beaters vs. whisks Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In the stores I go to, I seldom see egg beaters nowadays – the kind with two counter rotating four-blade beaters, operated by a crank. I mostly see the trendy whisks. Puzzles me – my old egg beater does such a good, fast job of homogenizing eggs for omelettes or scrambled.

I’m wiling to be enlightened though. Do any of you think whisks are better? If so, why?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've always just used a fork. Confused

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
An egg beater is nothing more than a manual version of an electric mixer. I use a whisk. Whisks are more versatile since you can use them as cooking utensils.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Same here.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:

Same here.

Same

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
There isn't a big difference. You already own the beater. Keep using it until it doesn't do the job anymore.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
An egg beater is nothing more than a manual version of an electric mixer. I use a whisk. Whisks are more versatile since you can use them as cooking utensils.

This. However, if I just need an egg beaten, a fork works fine and is easier to clean.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Still have one at our lake cabin, it's nearly as old as I am. Rarely gets used, since fork works just fine for any number of eggs under a dozen, is easier to clean and takes less room.

If the 50 year old beater didn't hold childhood nostalgia I wouldn't even have that! Smile

Amazon search shows 212 matches if you really need another.
Many aren't actual hand crank, but dozens of those.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:

Same here.

Yep, it's all you need.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I use a Ninja blender when making 12-15 egg crustless quiche dishes, otherwise it is a fork or small whisk.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had developed appreciation for a particular style hand cranked design with wooded handle, from about the early 50s, to do my omlette. Discovered I preferred a rather frothy egg mix on various camping trips. Never could achieve with either whisk or fork. Dislike the electric versions.

Actually have worn several out (the best I used had bearings in the crank). Junk store used models went up from under $1 to at least $25 over a 30 year period. Now 'hard to find' real users. Tried a couple new models, with slightly differing designs.

Had never realized how close to "OCD" one could get using a simple kitchen egg beater, until what you really wanted was not readily available.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Egg beaters" have outgrown their usefulness, if they ever had any. You are better off with a whisk, then you can use it in the pan while cooking.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I remember those egg beaters. I have and electric hand mixer that does big jobs. For eggs and whipped cream I use a whisk. A fork works well, the whisk is faster and easy to clean.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Whisk. They are not new or trendy they've been around for years. I like frothy airy eggs myself. I whisk aggressively during breakfast prep. Then just before adding eggs to the griddle I add a tablespoon or so of soda water and whisk again. Result is nice airy fluffy eggs. Especially if you have farm fresh.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Maybe it has been mentioned already but... Big Grin

...I just use a fork.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Seems as though my favorite forum favors forks – I ought to try that. Still, I like my beaten eggs to be frothy, and signewt’s post, a few above, suggests that an egg beater might be best for frothy. My old egg beater is shaped like this one:

www.amazon.com/dp/B079N19WLQ/r..._api_i_UqKcEbJH0SF24

But mine is all metal except for the grip handle and the crank handle.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fork for omelets and such. Don't like stiff or, over-beaten eggs.

Whisk for bigger jobs.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egg beaters are such a pain in the rear to clean compared to a whisk. I don't like overbeaten eggs. I add just a dash of milk to make them fluffy and whip them with a fork.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fork. I use a whisk for other things, like sauces.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Always used a fork.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post