SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Everyone is cheap about something
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everyone is cheap about something Login/Join 
posted
It has been my observation that many people will avoid buying something because it is cheaper somewhere else. Their choices are not always logical.

For example driving 5 extra miles to save $0.02/gal on gasoline.

I do not buy movie theater drinks/snacks. I’m cheap there!

Anyone else have things they are “cheap” on?

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was really broke as a young adult and my time was not important. My time is more important now and I am less frugal. I grew up with Depression era parents so I am naturally more frugal than most.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
clothes.

I wear a lot of shit you find at Costco.

Not shoes tho, I like my kicks sharp.

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I’ve got great water on tap. I don’t buy bottled. Fill and take water with me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many many hundreds of Illinois residents drive five miles to save $1.00-$1.15 per gallon of gas.

There is nothing iowan love more than when Illinois raises the gas tax.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I was really broke as a young adult and my time was not important. My time is more important now and I am less frugal. I grew up with Depression era parents so I am naturally more frugal than most.

This describes me and my wife.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Anything consumable. I will use a razor blade long past its time. When I’m working, my clothes look so worn out that homeless people hand me quarters. I use leather gloves until nearly all my fingers stick out. I run vehicles into the ground, fix them myself, and do it again. My main computer is a 2010 iMac.

Tools, OTOH, are a different story. I don’t have time for crap in my toolbox. I like pro grade stuff in the box. If it’s German made, even better. And gas cans. Lativian made Wavians for long term storage, and Type II JustRite for short term dispensing.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We rarely eat out. No restaurants close anyways. Wife is a great cook and meal planner. Going over to families tonight for homemade stuffed green peppers Big Grin

This also saves a ton of $. Better food as well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m cheap on everything except guns. I buy way too many of that stuff. But clothes, cars, furnishings, eating out and all that, I’m a cheap bastard.

I buy good quality stuff and take care of it, but I only buy what I need and nothing more. I own four pairs of shoes, and two of those are work boots that I rotate. I own about a dozen identical black or dark blue dickies work shirts, 6 or so pairs of identical jeans in black and 6 blue, then several pairs of almost identical t-shirts, socks and underwear and 2 identical baseball hats. I own nice furniture but most of it is older, at least 15 years or so, and don’t have anything on my walls or much in the way of any decoration.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try not to be cheap on anything personally. I'll spoil myself because it's just me that I'm taking care of.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Clothes, I hate having to shop for clothes. I am a jeans and t shirt person, luckily don’t have to buy dress clothes anymore since being able to work from home. Depending on the item, I might not go cheap, but I will weigh quality, options, and price before deciding which to get.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Yeah, gasoline. The cheaper the better.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
It has been my observation that many people will avoid buying something because it is cheaper somewhere else. Their choices are not always logical.

Are you Dutch...? Smile

Posts: 2766 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
quote:

Are you Dutch...? Smile

Hey! I resemble that statement. Wink
We'll get around to being offended and such later. Razz

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember when we were kids mom used to make popcorn at home and we'd take it with us to the movies. That was back when movies were $1.50 for adults and 75 cents for kids. I doubt they allow that these days.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
$12 jeans from rural king. Used to wear Levis then Dickies carpenter jeans now Rural King carpenters. Buy them 8 or 10 at a time when on sale. I usually ruin them before they wear out. I absolutely will not cheap on batteries, brakes or tires for any of the vehicles.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I have been extra cheap, and cut corners, it has cost me. Now I try to not spend more than necessary, but when it is important I do not skimp, such as in firearms.

Someone stole my high end mountain bike once. I had lots of money in the bank, but decided to cut corners and for a while ride a used cheap, cheap bike I bought. Handled good, but brakes were terrible. About a month later, I went on a ride on a beautiful sunny day, but at the top of the mountain there was fog. Apparently fog got on the brakes, as on my way down I came across a turn and rangers had dug a drainage ditch across the trail.

I hit the brakes, but nothing happened. Probably the fog left too much moisture on the rims. I woke up 20 minutes later, and some hikers had found me. Broke L1 vertebrae in 53 pieces, but fortunately no nerve damage. Spent 3 weeks in the hospital inc. a 5 hour surgery, plus many months recovering.

So, no more cutting corners or being cheap for me.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I like to think I am frugal and not cheap.

I buy the best quality products for the money. And I dont buy cheap Chinese shit if I can help it. I look around my house and find many high quality items, Zwilling Knives, Sig Guns, Gibson Guitars, Brittish Marshall Amps, Porsche 911... none of this is cheap. All of it will last a long long time and serve me well thus frugal.

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap item you have to frequently replace or costs you a lot of time because it is not as efficient.

All that said, I will go to the ends of the internet to find the one that costs the least. And I usually get the one without all the bells and whistles, those add cost, are generally unnecessary, and break more often - IMHO.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Sorry to disagree but I'm not cheap on anything these days. I've learned over the years that cheaper is rarely better. Perfect example is gas grille. I use to buy the cheap $150-$200 units at the big box store and they would last 2-3 years max. Well about 9 years ago I splurged on a Weber which was a great choice as it still looks and works great.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to get a good/great deal on something but for the most part my stuff or services I pay for is middle of the road or better.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Auto and motorcycle parts.

OEM car and motorcycle parts, I have a sixty to a hundred mile trip to get OEM parts at a good price due to having worked at or with the managers at these stores. And if aftermarket parts are equal or better again I can get a better price by driving 60 miles or so to a NAPA store that I know the owners and have dealt with them going back to the 70’s.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post