SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question regarding putting a chip in a Nissan Armada.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding putting a chip in a Nissan Armada. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’d like to improve the Torque/HP in my Nissan Armada so that it pulls better. My trailer is well under specs (about 1500 pounds) but pulling through the Rocky Mountains is tough. I’ve thought about putting in a chip but I’m not sure what works or if it is a good idea.
Suggestions are appreciated.
THANKS!

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
“Chips” are pretty much gone these days tunes are a much better option.

You buy a Tuner and reflash your ECU.
The air and fuel tables along with shift points are adjusted. You’ll likely need to run a higher octane to make the tune worth while.

Scout the web for a REPUTABLE Nissan tuner. I have no experience with Nissan tunes so would have no clue who to trust.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
“Chips” are pretty much gone these days tunes are a much better option.

You buy a Tuner and reflash your ECU.
The air and fuel tables along with shift points are adjusted. You’ll likely need to run a higher octane to make the tune worth while.

Scout the web for a REPUTABLE Nissan tuner. I have no experience with Nissan tunes so would have no clue who to trust.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Back when I had my Titan, the Bully Dog GT tuner was the one to use.

Be sure to have a fully charged battery when downloading the stock tune / uploading the new tune. Seems like even a slightly low voltage would brick the ECU. I hooked up a battery charger while installing mine, just in case.

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orionS14:

Be sure to have a fully charged battery when downloading the stock tune / uploading the new tune. Seems like even a slightly low voltage would brick the ECU. I hooked up a battery charger while installing mine, just in case.

- Brian

I know this was a while ago but what type of improvement did you see or lose in the following:
1. HP
2. Torque
3. MPG?
THANKS!
I’m trying to get an idea if its worth trying. I’m not sure 30-40 fp of torque increase will make much of any difference pulling a trailer at 7000+ feet through steep mountain passes.

posted Hide Post
Hard to say, as I did a 6 inch lift and 35 inch mud tires at the same time. It moved pretty well, considering...but I didn't dyno it, and couldn't do an apples to apples comparison.

There are definitely hard numbers to be found. Check around titantalk.com for actual results.

Wish I could be more helpful...

- Brian

--------------------
||| P226R (.40) ||| P6 ||| P320 X5 ||| SP2022 (.40) |||

Posts: 411 | Location: Northeast Florida | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In or out of warranty vehicle?

Just be aware that there can be evidence in the computer that a download has been installed and removed. Not sure about Nissan but I imagine they are all similar.

For example, several years back issued a TSB regarding engine failures of Duramax engines and what to look for in physical damage as an indicator. It also stated that if this damage was seen to scan the ECU's historical data to see if any changes had ever been done to the tune and whether or not it had been removed and the original tune had been reinstalled.

It said basically if any evidence was found warranty would be denied. Just be aware of this.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by orionS14:

- Brian

I know this was a while ago but what type of improvement did you see or lose in the following:
1. HP
2. Torque
3. MPG?
THANKS!
I’m trying to get an idea if its worth trying. I’m not sure 30-40 fp of torque increase will make much of any difference pulling a trailer at 7000+ feet through steep mountain passes.

You did not mention the altitude in the original post but make sure whoever you get your tune from is aware of this. High altitude tuning certainly changes the tables a bit.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
You won’t get anywhere near 40-50 more hp or torque. With modern electronics the OEM’s don’t leave that much on the table, especially in an otherwise stock truck.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My old neighbor always swore by Bully Dog but he was into diesels. Which engine is it exactly? Don't see a lot of dyno info, but the tuners for the Armada don't seem to provide that much of a power boost. Here's one of the more tame tunes for my car for example:
https://www.getunitronic.com/i...plus-20TSI-MQB-1.jpg

Pretty much all of the off the shelf tunes available for mine will have a dyno sheet.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
You won’t get anywhere near 40-50 more hp or torque. With modern electronics the OEM’s don’t leave that much on the table, especially in an otherwise stock truck.

Unless you are dealing with factory boosted application.

Looks like the Armada looks about 15-20hp.
https://www.cajunbpipes.com
That site seems to be the go to for Armada custom tuning.

————————————————

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Chips are a thing of the past. Best thing would be to find a reputable tuner and do a street tune as opposed to a dino tune. Dino numbers are great and impress chicks but street manners would matter more, IMO.

If you're going to get a tune, you may as well get some exhaust work done:

-intake
-headers (this is where you'll get your TQ/HP)
-exhaust

Those combined with a tune would definitely net you some feel of the seat gains.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Best thing would be to find a reputable tuner and do a street tune as opposed to a dino tune. Dino numbers are great and impress chicks but street manners would matter more, IMO.

?? Not very many reputable tuners do their work without a dyno. Pretty sure unless he has a diesel engine that there isn't much to gain from an ecu tune, whether it's off the shelf or custom.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Through personal experience (Ford Expeditions) the cure you are seeking can be found in your differential gears.

My Expy was equipped with 3.28:1 (?) my fathers was 3.73:1 the two were as different as night and day towing. Mine was adequite at best, dads was just fine thank you. Swapping them is not cheap however.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I already knew that chips had been obsoleted by custom tunes but that got me wondering: Does nobody do cams anymore? I remember when a "RV cam" would have been the answer to the OP's problem.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I already knew that chips had been obsoleted by custom tunes but that got me wondering: Does nobody do cams anymore? I remember when a "RV cam" would have been the answer to the OP's problem.

Bruce

On a vehicle like this with a DOHC motor you are talking a major project replacing 4 cams with the associated costs.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. To answer a question, I have a 5.6 litre gas engine in the Armada. I wish they would put the 5.0 litre Cummings engine in their Armadas. That would be a great towing platform.