SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Keeping e-mail address when moving outside service area...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keeping e-mail address when moving outside service area... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
I currently subscribe to Xfinity internet service only...no TV, phone, etc. If I move to an area that is NOT serviced by Xfinity, is it possible to keep my existing '@comcast.net' e-mail address? TIA for any guidance!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
You da MAN, HRK!! I foolishly tried to utilize their "online assistant", which doesn't offer any assistance AT. ALL.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
From a technical standpoint, being in the service area has nothing to do with access to your email account. This is what the Internet is all about. Whatever servers Comcast is using to provide email services should be reachable from anywhere. However, it is extremely unlikely that Comcast will keep your account active if you aren't paying them for service. You need to talk to them and ask them how you can retain your email account in the absence of a service plan, e.g. they may have an "email only" plan.

If they say "no dice," ask if they will forward mail sent to your address to another provider. This costs them nothing, and is a simple configuration change. In this case, your best option is to set up a new email account with a provider that does primarily this. Many of these are free. GMail is very popular, but many people are wary of Google's use of personal information. ProtonMail seems to be a solid and responsible provider, and there are many others you can find with an Internet search. You can do this well in advance of losing your Comcast address to test it out, and begin informing your regular correspondents of the change. There are also providers that do nothing other than forwarding, so you can set up a "permanent forever address" and actually receive your mail at whatever provider you have a mailbox.

The one bad thing about having Comcast (or whoever) forward your old address is that it makes the mail sent to you look forged, delivered to an address/server other than the one to which it was addressed. You might have to whitelist senders with your new provider to get them past the spam filters.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Looks like it's forever...

"As a former Xfinity customer, you can still use your Comcast.net email address if you logged into your account in the 90 days prior to disconnecting your service. Your email account will remain active as long as you access it at least once every nine months."

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
google-fu found this...

https://www.xfinity.com/suppor...les/using-email-only

Good to know. Thanks!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glad to assist....

Suggest you consider getting a gmail, yahoo, or whatever email address, transfer out your contacts before you cancel, that way if they ever get bought out, or change the policy you have already migrated your data out of their system.

Another advantage to an alternative email is for web pages you have to register to get access, give them your spare spam mail address..

Its why I use a not hardwired email like my provider gives with the service. Mobility...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
This is the reason to get a email address that isn't tied to your internet provider. Their policy could change at any time. I pay for a gmail.com and a protonmail.com (secure) email address so I can keep them forever.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Another advantage to an alternative email is for web pages you have to register to get access, give them your spare spam mail address..
Have a YAHOO! email for that very reason! Big Grin

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have had a Frontier email for years. I switched to Comcast last year, but still have the Frontier email address.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I pay for a gmail.com and a protonmail.com (secure) email address so I can keep them forever.

You pay for them? What does the pay version get you that’s better than the free versions? I don’t use my proton mail very often but my free gmail is my primary personal email. If the pay version is better and it’s not too pricey I may have to do that too.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post