SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Does Randi Weingarten Think More Freedom Is Racism?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Does Randi Weingarten Think More Freedom Is Racism? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Star Parker
July 26, 2017

Randi Weingarten, president of the nation's second-largest teachers union, the American Federation of Teachers, used a speech last week to brand the education choice movement as racist.

She also got personal, trying to pin the racist label onto Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos because DeVos is a passionate supporter of parents being able to choose where to send their child to school.

I've been through this too many times. No matter the subject, liberals invariably try to kill an idea they don't like, or destroy a person they don't like, with the label "racist."

Sorry, but it won't work this time. Too much is at stake, and the truth is too clear.

Every time we go through a new round of National Assessment of Educational Progress testing, the Nation's Report Card, we see the same results: Dismal performances by black children, yawning gaps in performance between black children and white children, and overall test scores that show practically no improvement over the years.

In 2015, 35 percent of black fourth-graders and 52 percent of black eighth-graders were "below basic" in math and 48 percent of black fourth-graders and 42 percent of black eighth-graders were "below basic" in reading.

Seventeen percent of black fourth-graders were "at proficient" in math compared with 41 percent of white fourth-graders. Sixteen percent of black fourth-graders were "at proficient" in reading compared with 34 percent of white fourth-graders.

Eric Hanushek of Stanford University took a look at the last 50 years of black test scores compared with white test scores. His conclusion: virtually no improvement.

"(T)he modest improvements in achievement gaps since 1965 can only be called a national embarrassment," writes Hanushek. "Put differently, if we continue to close gaps at the same rate in the future, it will be roughly two and half centuries before the black-white math gap closes and over one and half centuries until the reading gap closes."

It took almost two centuries from our nation's founding until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed. Most black parents are not interested in waiting another two centuries until the math and reading scores of their children catch up to those of white children.

But Weingarten seems to have plenty of time on her hands. She thinks things are just great. She's upset that DeVos called our public schools a "dead end."

"Our public schools are not a dead end," says Weingarten. "They're places of endless opportunity." Yes, for union bureaucrats with fat salaries and pensions. But certainly not for low-income children looking for a light at the end of the tunnel.

One reason teachers unions hate school vouchers is that public school funding can be redirected for the vouchers that children can use at any school.

That's a good thing. Stanford's Hanushek reports that since 1965, expenditures per student in our public schools have quadrupled with virtually no change in test scores.

There's a reason why a million kids are on waiting lists for acceptance into charter schools; why 64 percent of black parents, in an Education Next poll, supported tax-credits to fund scholarships to send low-income children to private schools; and why today almost 450,000 children are in some type of school choice program, up from effectively zero 20 years ago.

Why is everyone trying to get out of what Randi Weingarten thinks is so wonderful?

And why does she think it is racist to give black parents the freedom to choose where to send their child to school? Since when is it racist to give people more freedom?

Whatever Randi Weingarten's agenda happens to be, improving the lot of black children is certainly not high on it. Regarding racism, maybe she should do her own soul-searching.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Put differently, if we continue to close gaps at the same rate in the future, it will be roughly two and half centuries before the black-white math gap closes and over one and half centuries until the reading gap closes."

Talk about a crime against humanity.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Don't think she thinks it's racism. I think she thinks racism is an argument she can easily defend.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Don't think she thinks it's racism. I think she thinks racism is an argument she can easily defend.

No, it is an assertion she will never have to defend because anyone who challenges her claim of racism, is automatically racist.

Milo Yiannopoulous goes into this particular form of character assassination in his book Dangerous.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

No, it is an assertion she will never have to defend because anyone who challenges her claim of racism, is automatically racist.

Milo Yiannopoulous goes into this particular form of character assassination in his book Dangerous.

I guess my point was that the easiest defense is one that never needs to be mounted

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In my long ago youth, if you wanted to cripple someone's reputation, you called them a communist.

Now, that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Hell, the Dems are all communists anyway. So, now they call their opponents racists. Anyone can be a racist.

Weingarten doesn't care about any of that. She cares about control, control of the curriculum, control of the jobs.

The Dept. of Education used to be her ally. She had control of that too. Betsy DeVos and her boss, Trump, are putting the kibosh on that stuff and she has to stop it or die trying.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Obama closed the DC charter schools for black kids, was that racist?

And, to Randi's way of thinking, of course Devos is racist. She's white.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
"Put differently, if we continue to close gaps at the same rate in the future, it will be roughly two and half centuries before the black-white math gap closes and over one and half centuries until the reading gap closes."

Take it one step further. That being I don't know if they've closed a gap. You see, much of the data is collected through standardized testing. Schools no longer TEACH. Their school year is comprised of practicing for the subject matter that will be on that years standardized testing. IE- If standardized testing will be math for 2017, most of the plans that be pushed with be math related. After the first of the calendar year, they start running practice tests. Then when testing time comes up, if they don't think the student can cut it, they assign a tutor to assist him/her in taking the test.

These numbers are a direct reflection of how much state and federal money the school gets. So, guess what? Of course there is going to be an improvement. Yet, students can't do math without a phone, they don't know key pieces of history, etc.

This education game is not about educating young minds. It is about providing day care services to the parents, and keeping the state and federal money turned on.

Pull the plug with both hands.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In my long ago youth, if you wanted to cripple someone's reputation, you called them a communist.

Now, that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Hell, the Dems are all communists anyway. So, now they call their opponents racists. Anyone can be a racist.

Weingarten doesn't care about any of that. She cares about control, control of the curriculum, control of the jobs.

The Dept. of Education used to be her ally. She had control of that too. Betsy DeVos and her boss, Trump, are putting the kibosh on that stuff and she has to stop it or die trying.

That lady is straight up Bolshevik.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

Take it one step further. That being I don't know if they've closed a gap. You see, much of the data is collected through standardized testing. Schools no longer TEACH. Their school year is comprised of practicing for the subject matter that will be on that years standardized testing. IE- If standardized testing will be math for 2017, most of the plans that be pushed with be math related. After the first of the calendar year, they start running practice tests. Then when testing time comes up, if they don't think the student can cut it, they assign a tutor to assist him/her in taking the test.

These numbers are a direct reflection of how much state and federal money the school gets. So, guess what? Of course there is going to be an improvement. Yet, students can't do math without a phone, they don't know key pieces of history, etc.

This education game is not about educating young minds. It is about providing day care services to the parents, and keeping the state and federal money turned on.

Pull the plug with both hands.

Then burn the system to the ground.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Close the public schools. Sell the assets to real estate developers. Fire the teachers.

While that is progressing, set up the voucher program, and have parents decide how best to educate their children. Good teachers will be hired to better jobs. Not so good ones won't.

Private schools will spring up offering all sorts of educational opportunities, from Rhodes Scholar prep to street corner bum. Something for everybody!

The only thing I haven't figured out about it is how to handle Friday night football.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gaps are stupid analytical tools, anyway.

Easy enough to close the 'gap' in just a few short years - just stop teaching the white kids. Quickly the offensive 'gap' would go away, and massive jubilant celebrations would be in order.

Wouldn't they?

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post