SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on golf equiptment
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on golf equiptment Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Bushnell V5, I couldn't play without my rangefinder.

How is the CaddyTek at Costco for $119? I could get that and a Bushnell or TecTecTec GPS watch for the price of the V5. If I'd be better off with just the V5 I'm happy to go that way as well.

Don't know, I went into the store and looked through them (best I could) to see how it worked and the optic clarity.

I am of the view to buy-once, cry-once with optics and always look hard at the optics and functionality doing the same with rifle optics - I don't - I won't buy a cheap optic.

Bought a gen 1 Bushnell more than 20 years ago and it worked great and then they got better and smaller - then got a Bushnell Tour X (comparable to the Tour V5 Shift today) maybe four or five years ago.
The new ones today are even better and while I may upgrade in the future - this one does a terrific job and no immediate need to replace it.

https://www.bushnellgolf.com/golf-laser-rangefinders/

Much easier to spend money on this that a $3K rifle optic. Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are probably right. Perhaps I also misunderstand what Blast does. When it says swing and stroke analyzer, I assume that means telling you everything you are doing wrong in terms of tempo, path, loft change, speed, etc., ...
If you're talking about the Blast Motion Golf Swing & Stroke Analyzer, all it is is a set of accelerometers in a little puck you stick on the end of your club's grip, that communicates to an app on your mobile device(s).

I have one. I bought it to help improve my putting. It really didn't do anything for me. (One of these days I'll get around to selling it.)

As for range finders: I really haven't played enough, consistently enough, to have a good handle on my distances. Plus I've been working on rebuilding my swing from the ground up, so I've really no idea what my distances are, now. So a RF wouldn't be terribly useful to me... except to determine what my distances are after the fact. And that's why I bought one.

I bought the TecTecTec! KLYR. Neat little range finder.

I also bought a PRGR HS130A Portable Launch Monitor. Primarily for when I eventually do some swing speed training.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you're talking about the Blast Motion Golf Swing & Stroke Analyzer, all it is is a set of accelerometers in a little puck you stick on the end of your club's grip, that communicates to an app on your mobile device(s).

I have one. I bought it to help improve my putting. It really didn't do anything for me. (One of these days I'll get around to selling it.)

As for putting IMO, it is the only area where pretty much anything goes.

That is whatever you do, however you do is fine as long as you are consistent and effective.

Now before you say that is true for other swings and it can be but the physics of a full swing is more complicated and more violent.
Many more moving parts.

A putt is face orientation on the ball, estimating line and speed.

All are easier physically and needs experience - lots of it to hone.
My opinion is once you fine a putter you are totally comfortable with then practice, practice, practice.

It took me many years to find that putter and I have went through a lot of them.
Yes it is a Scotty Cameron and others (Ping, Odyssey, Taylormade, others) that I have had were all decent but this one I finally through tinkering (I build clubs) came to fruition.

The only thing that is different is that all my prior were face-balanced and this SC is not, requiring more arc and follow though.
This was a radical change in the swing and required a lot of work to change.

I also struggled with length and weight which I have a slightly longer for me @ 35.5 ", and use a thinner SuperStroke grip and use grip weights.
But use whatever feels right to use and the Scotty Cameron are well made and why they reign high on everyone's list (also expensive- I bought my base model off eBay) - wanted a small mallet type as oppose to a blade from tying them out at GolfSmith a million times.

If I every lost or didn't have this putter I would be totally lost. Frown

Confidence is everything especially on putting.
Putt for dough. Razz

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

As for putting IMO, it is the only area where pretty much anything goes.

That is whatever you do, however you do is fine as long as you are consistent and effective.

Now before you say that is true for other swings and it can be but the physics of a full swing is more complicated and more violent.
Many more moving parts.

A putt is face orientation on the ball, estimating line and speed.

All are easier physically and needs experience - lots of it to hone.
My opinion is once you fine a putter you are totally comfortable with then practice, practice, practice.

It took me many years to find that putter and I have went through a lot of them.
Yes it is a Scotty Cameron and others (Ping, Odyssey, Taylormade, others) that I have had were all decent but this one I finally through tinkering (I build clubs) came to fruition.

The only thing that is different is that all my prior were face-balanced and this SC is not, requiring more arc and follow though.
This was a radical change in the swing and required a lot of work to change.

I also struggled with length and weight which I have a slightly longer for me @ 35.5 ", and use a thinner SuperStroke grip and use grip weights.
But use whatever feels right to use and the Scotty Cameron are well made and why they reign high on everyone's list (also expensive- I bought my base model off eBay) - wanted a small mallet type as oppose to a blade from tying them out at GolfSmith a million times.

If I every lost or didn't have this putter I would be totally lost. Frown

Confidence is everything especially on putting.
Putt for dough. Razz

It really is everything. My instructor said I was good, so he proceeded to change my grip, and now I'm trying to get confident again because it screwed everything up. I'm on my third putter in two months with another arriving today. I used a FB, but he said I had an arc and would be better long-term with a slight toe hang. Honestly, after all the grip and putter changes, I'll probably end up with my old putter and grip. The reverse overlap grip isn't bad, though. It just took a while to get comfortable.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm on my third putter in two months with another arriving today.

My putter is a 20-something year old Odyssey Tri-Hot blade. It definitely doesn't look new. Over the past handful of months I've tried dozens of Odyssey and other brands putters at PGA store while waiting for my turn at the practice bays. I still like Odyssey. A couple of the new Tri-Hot 5k models are nice. But I really like a couple of the Toulon Design models.

The new putters feel great. The grips are better than my old model. The heads are more forgiving for off-center strikes. The sound on impact is improved. However, I'm uncertain I putt noticeably better with a new model.

A week ago we had some decent weather and courses opened for play. I didn't get on a course, but I hit at the range and practiced at the putting greens. The green surface is bumpy, furry, and definitely slow. After adjusting to the slow green speeds, I began putting quite well with my old Odyssey. As with many things, the Indian still has to shoot the arrow.

I finally got to hit Ping's new G430 irons. But only a 7 iron, with TT Elevate 95 shaft. Ping has done well with this design, for the target buyer. It sounds much better than older Ping irons -- a nice solid whack. Definitely a GI club sound, not a blade. The feel is muted, and I had some challenges determine exact strike location. This club will feel forgiving for those tending to low heel & toe strikes.

The ball flight soars. Of course this 7i has 29 degree loft. My 6 iron has a 30 degree loft, my 7i has a 34 degree loft. The G430 loft is juiced by 5 degrees. If club manufacturers continue on this trend, Joe Average golfer's bag will have a fleet of wedges, a couple of numbered irons, and a few high-lofted fairway woods.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm on my third putter in two months with another arriving today.
I went through three putters in my first year or two, then decided I didn't really want a putter collection. So, before I buy another putter, I'm going for a putter fitting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I went through three putters in my first year or two, then decided I didn't really want a putter collection.
So, before I buy another putter, I'm going for a putter fitting.

Putter fitting is nothing more than trying different putters you feel comfortable with.
Something you can do with trips to the Golf Store.
Not the same as other club fitting, IMO.
All my previous putters were always close but do to experimenting - I found the grail-to-me.
No club fitter could have fitted this in advance, IMO.
Once you find the one you like then practice until you are fully confident in it.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I bought a Newport 2 after trying multiple putters at a few stores today. A Cleveland blade with the UST ALL-IN was close, but my pace was very consistent with the Scotty. Another question is whether I want to roll it on the course or keep it safe in my house and hold it like Gollum.

Odyssey makes some great putters that will stay in my bag for a change occasionally. The OG Rossi is fantastic, but the Tri-Hot feels even better. If that comes down in price in the fall, I may also pick one up.

I'd trust how a club feels vs what a computer algorithm says.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Putter fitting is nothing more than trying different putters you feel comfortable with.
Not a real putter fitting. A real putter fitting involves tech similar to fittings for other clubs. In the case of putters they most often use the SAM PuttLab system.

quote:
Odyssey makes some great putters that will stay in my bag for a change occasionally. The OG Rossi is fantastic, but the Tri-Hot feels even better. If that comes down in price in the fall, I may also pick one up.
Callaway Certified Pre-Owned FTW Smile

quote:
"Feels ain't reals" Wink

It's like any other club fitting: It's helped some and others not so much.

I've already spent around $800 in putters. I figure a $100 fitting, before spending another $250 to $450 for a putter, might be a wise investment.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Odyssey makes some great putters that will stay in my bag for a change occasionally.

I suspect very few swing coaches, instructors, or PGA/LPGA players recommend an occasional change among putters. Everything I've heard is getting confident with one putter, then sticking with it until something isn't working.

Better players will switch other clubs when courses or conditions dictate...
- Using a low-bounce wedge on dry courses, or with expectations of tight lies.
- Switching from fairway woods to driving irons in windy and dry conditions. A classic example is American pros at the British Open during some years.
- Leaving the driver at home on shorter course. And teeing off with fairway woods, hybrids, or driving irons. I've done this quite a few times at an executive-length that is close to the office.

A few days ago I felt cocky and figured it was time to try a sim round of Torrey Pines from the 7,036 yard tees. It didn't go well. I was spraying the driver, which didn't work well with the OB and water. I re-hit instead of stroke and distance, so the 5 bad shots cost me 10 strokes. Ended up with a tuck-tail score of 19 over. The real course is rated at 75.0 and 139. I would have really sucked in real life on the course. I was swinging for the fences and it showed. Using a "bag" of only 7 clubs didn't help.

Needed an ego boost, and with time available I picked the Linfield National course at 5909 yards, rated at 68.1 and 118. Much better. Teeing off with smooth 5W and 4H on most holes. Easy short irons into the greens. 4 under felt way better.

Sim golf isn't real. Not even close. However, the sim difficulty seems to track close to the challenges. With my messed up schedule, it's a way to keep the cobwebs at bay.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Not a real putter fitting. A real putter fitting involves tech similar to fittings for other clubs. In the case of putters they most often use the SAM PuttLab system.

quote:
"Feels ain't reals" Wink

It's like any other club fitting: It's helped some and others not so much.

I've already spent around $800 in putters. I figure a $100 fitting, before spending another $250 to $450 for a putter, might be a wise investment.

I’d disagree with the "feels ain't reals" since I paid for a computer fitting, and my consistency numbers were in the upper 80s, but it suggested a different club style. After struggling, I asked to be refit last week, and it still suggested the changes even though my consistency numbers dropped to 54%. Algorithms don’t know everything. I'm sure it's great for some people, though.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to decide if I need a hybrid in my bag if I'm hitting my 4i and 5/7 woods well. I feel much more confident in my woods, which I'm sure is weird. I'm wondering if I'll regret not having at least one hybrid.