SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on golf equiptment
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on golf equiptment Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
I’ve been playing for almost a year, and my instructor mentioned I’ll outgrow my cast irons by the middle of the season. How durable are forged clubs? I mostly practice indoors, so if I don’t special order an extra 7 iron will it end up worn out compared to the rest of my set? Will there be any downsides to staying with a game improvement set for a few years?

They fit me for the D9 Forged and Hot Metals. Are there any other player distance irons I should try? I'd like to keep the distance aspect of game improvement sets and have something more forgiving than most forged sets.

Title changed because of how many things we've gotten into. Thank you all for the help!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ackks,

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
You didn’t mention what you are scoring now. Or what you are using now.
This is a subject that can take you down a HUGE rabbit hole.
“Outgrowing cast clubs” is a bit curious to me. I haven’t done it in 30+ years. I still play game improvement irons even when I was scoring in low 80s-mid/high 70s.

If you “wear out” a 7 iron, why are you hitting it so much? Golf isn’t played indoors and the only reason to keep hitting a 7 is because you put the ball in the water or OB. Even then you’d only hit it twice. If you live in snow country, I get the indoor part…for now anyway.

The distance aspect of the game will NEVER not be a part of the game no matter what irons you play.
They all give distance! A 7 iron with the loft of a 5 iron can still give 7 iron height because manufacturers can manipulate CGs with high density materials like tungsten placed low in the club head. Strong loft with high trajectory…it ain’t going away.
As far as how durable forged/cast irons are, there isn’t a difference IMO. Both will last until you get the urge to buy new ones.
Getting fit at a brand agnostic fitter I think is a good thing. My bag has Taylormade driver and irons, Callaway fairway wood, Cobra hybrids, Cleveland wedges and a Ping putter. I don’t care about who makes it, does it do what I want it to do? If it doesn’t, it ain’t in the bag.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus one on the brand agnostic fittings.
Check out YouTube fittings by Club Champion for example.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Srixon ZX5.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1135 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
+1 on a fitting… you will end up getting a set of clubs that will give you the most confidence. A good fitter will give you a shaft/head combination that gets the ball in the air better and helps curb your tendency to hook/slice. Well worth the time and money. You may be surprised at what brand of club head works best for you.

I’ve been playing for 50 years now… played one set of forged irons for 22 of those years…other than the grooves getting a little smoothed out… and the occasional stress fractured shaft break… you can’t really wear out a club. Grooves can be re-sharpened and shafts replaced.

The fitting will be very personalized but I like my Taylormade P790s. I went into the fitting really wanting some Titleist irons… but I couldn’t hit them as well the Taylormades. YMMV.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1588 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend a neutral club fitter. I’m a 10 hdcp. Been using Club Champion for ten years. The difference between the combinations of heads and shafts was obvious when you see the data after hitting a ton of balls. A good fitting should take several hours.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. Brand-agnostic fitters have helped me find Callaway, Ping, Cleveland, Taylormade, and Wilson clubs for my bag. I’m currently using D9 irons and being relatively new to the game; I’m not sure what they meant by me outgrowing them. They said I’d start striking them differently as my swing improves.

As far as why I’d wear out a 7 iron, that’s because it’s the iron I tend to use the most indoors, which is where I practice during the winter months. I tend to warm up with the 7, move to a hybrid, and finish with my driver. Doing some research between cast and forged, a few sites mentioned grooves wearing out after 4-5 years, along with the lie and angles having to be checked after each season. It sounds like durability won’t be an issue from the replies here so I can cross that off the list of decisions.

I plan on trying a few more this week and prefer playing with one set for the entire year, along with being finished with the decision for a few years. I'm currently a 10-15 hdcp depending on the course. The biggest question is if staying with my current D9 irons would hinder my growth or if I could continue to grow with them for years.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Iv'e been a Mizuno irons fan and user for many years.
You cannot beat the 'feel' of a Mizuno iron.
Plenty of options within the line all the way up to blades.
I cannot do blades but currently using a 'muscle-back' ~ sort of a power cavity back.
Currently using an older set of MP-25's and still very satisfied.
Look at the current JPX-923 ~ available in different flavors.
For me ~ the JPX-923 Hot Metal Pro would be high on my list.
I just replaced one of my wedges that was wearing out with the S-23 and it is fantastic and if there is anywhere you need feel it is with wedges.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf...eries/jpx923-forged/

Go find a demo-day or hit them with a fitter first, and note a proper shaft and grip makes a difference.

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I’m not sure what they meant by me outgrowing them. They said I’d start striking them differently as my swing improves.

That question made me ponder as well, but no doubt that as you get better the tool aka the club will yield different results.
In fact except for fitting for body type and swing speed ~ just about any club will do in the beginning.
As you get better you want consistency and to properly match your physical attributes.
THEN the better clubs kick in.
Nice in a year you are improving so much.
Good for you - something that many of us struggle with for a lifetime. Eek

This Mizuno site is a way to configure a mixed set.
On mine I used a higher launch 4 and 5 iron in my set.
Interesting.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/irons-comparison-table/

Posts: 22843 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

That question made me ponder as well, but no doubt that as you get better the tool aka the club will yield different results.
In fact except for fitting for body type and swing speed ~ just about any club will do in the beginning.
As you get better you want consistency and to properly match your physical attributes.
THEN the better clubs kick in.
Nice in a year you are improving so much.
Good for you - something that many of us struggle with for a lifetime. Eek

I think it's beginner's luck from playing other sports, and I'll plateau shortly. My shaft type should stay the same after being upgraded, but how often does the lie angle change after a fitting? If I'm a 1 degree flat, for example, how often does that go up or down?

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
When I used to play, I could never afford name branded equipment. I used generic heads and shafts that were put together. They mimicked name branded equipment.

IME, the brands didn't make a difference. The heads are influential but secondary. The primary influence, for me, was in selecting the right shaft (material, stiffness, length).

I wasn't pro level or anything - I shot in the 80's. But practice and the right shaft was more important than the brand or the head I think. That was enough to consistently keep up with the groups and have fun.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12678 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My shaft type should stay the same after being upgraded, but how often does the lie angle change after a fitting?

If I'm a 1 degree flat, for example, how often does that go up or down?

Generally, trying different shafts is not uncommon at all.
This is done for a variety of reasons from swing speed to just plain feel.

On whether your lie/loft is correct.
1. You would hit off a lie board with a scuff tape on the sole.
2. Note the direction.
3. If not centered then a fitter would 'bend' the club to make the adjustment centered.
4. Then re-hit until centered otherwise your shot would tend to go the wrong direction.

You do not have to buy new clubs for this but you can if you know what you need.
A proper lie will not change unless you change your swing.
Unless you make dramatic changes in your swing it is something that is not done a lot.
Adjusting a loft is more rare except in fine tuning a set for a really, really good golfer.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
You've been playing golf for less than a year and you're a 10-15 handicap?

I hate you.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6842 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Generally, trying different shafts is not uncommon at all.
This is done for a variety of reasons from swing speed to just plain feel.

On whether your lie/loft is correct.
1. You would hit off a lie board with a scuff tape on the sole.
2. Note the direction.
3. If not centered then a fitter would 'bend' the club to make the adjustment centered.
4. Then rehit until centered otherwise your shot would tend to go the wrong direction.

You do not have to buy new clubs for this but you can if you know what you need.
Unless you make dramatic changes in your swing it is something that is not done a lot.
Adjusting a loft is more rare except in fine tuning a set for a really, really good golfer.

Thank you. The data from the stickers on the club face told them I was hitting it flat, so it sounds like either ordering new clubs to that adjustment or having mine bent would be beneficial. It’s nice knowing that it shouldn’t change for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
You've been playing golf for less than a year and you're a 10-15 handicap?

I hate you.

Hahaha beginner's luck and a good instructor who had me focused on pitching and putting.

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Honestly, what you should be doing is finding yourself a PGA superstore. Go in there and start swinging clubs. You'll find that 1 brand of clubs will suit you more than the others.

Don't be in a rush to get new clubs. Get consistent with what you have and figure out what you don't like about them.

You'll soon be pissed that you're a 10 and start blaming your clubs soon enough. It'll be at that point that you'll really know what you're looking for in a club.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6842 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm currently a 10-15 hdcp depending on the course.
After only one year? That's astonishing.

I've no idea where my handicap is. (Long story.) Were I to get fitted this season, and assuming that, when I do, my HCP will be somewhere in the mid-to-high teens, here's what I've seen I think might suit me:

Srixon ZX5 Mk. II
Mizuno JPX923 HL
Cobra Forged Tec X
Cobra AEROJET

Possibly Cobra King CBs, but, I strongly suspect those are too much a player's iron for my skill level.

The Forged Tec X is very high on my list, but, I think I'd like to go OL, thus the AEROJET.

(Probably won't get fitted this season. I've another ±$2k in home gym equipment to acquire. That'll have to come first.)
quote:
My shaft type should stay the same after being upgraded, ...
Not necessarily. A good fitter will find the head or heads that appear to produce the best results for you, then try a variety of shafts. Shaft choice can make a huge difference in ball flight characteristics.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25990 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Go find a club fitter. PGA Superstores have them, as do many golf course pro-shops.

There are so many options, and so many factors to consider, that getting some help with narrowing down your options, and then getting the right lie angle, shaft length, and the right shaft itself is worth doing.

The fitting is kind of fun, anyway, and if you buy a set of clubs may be free or significantly discounted.

Unless your handicap is low - like less than 5, you probably still want some game improvement features.

As to wearing out a particular club, simply use all your clubs in practice. Wear them out evenly.

My last set was Ping irons. I don't play much now. I need them very upright, and 3/4" over standard. A pro helped me figer that out, and the improvement over a generic set was striking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I'm currently a 10-15 hdcp depending on the course.
After only one year? That's astonishing.

I've no idea where my handicap is. (Long story.) Were I to get fitted this season, and assuming that, when I do, my HCP will be somewhere in the mid-to-high teens, here's what I've seen I think might suit me:

Srixon ZX5 Mk. II
Mizuno JPX923 HL
Cobra Forged Tec X
Cobra AEROJET

Possibly Cobra King CBs, but, I strongly suspect those are too much a player's iron for my skill level.

The Forged Tec X is very high on my list, but, I think I'd like to go OL, thus the AEROJET.

(Probably won't get fitted this season. I've another ±$2k in home gym equipment to acquire. That'll have to come first.)
quote:
My shaft type should stay the same after being upgraded, ...
Not necessarily. A good fitter will find the head or heads that appear to produce the best results for you, then try a variety of shafts. Shaft choice can make a huge difference in ball flight characteristics.

It helps it's a small sample size and easier community courses. I could be at 25+ on some of the ones most of you play. I'm also throwing out my first outing when I lost probably 8 balls trying to get it across a hazard off the tee that was lined by trees.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Big Grin

Honestly, what you should be doing is finding yourself a PGA superstore. Go in there and start swinging clubs. You'll find that 1 brand of clubs will suit you more than the others.

Don't be in a rush to get new clubs. Get consistent with what you have and figure out what you don't like about them.

You'll soon be pissed that you're a 10 and start blaming your clubs soon enough. It'll be at that point that you'll really know what you're looking for in a club.

The other rush for me is being able to trade in the ones I have now at the full purchase price for a more expensive set. That's much easier than shelling out $1k-1.2k next year on a new set.

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying this will lower your handicap, but irons of the traditional "tour blade" design are great fun. This is before the offset weighting, so most so the weight is right behind the ball. I don't know if pro's still use them, but I wouldn't doubt it due to their incredible athletic ability, and consistency that brings.

I bought Powerbilt Citations back in high school, still have them, but haven't golfed in a few years. The unique thing about them is when you hit the sweet spot felt good enough to make you forget sex...LOL

I got hot a few times, shot in the 70's on occasion, but mostly just hoped for a few good shots to keep me coming back. For someone who works and was married with small kids, I was never able to practice enough to score very low.

The best success came during three or four day trips playing 36 holes per day. The last few rounds were at a whole different level.

Posts: 2711 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
I'm not saying this will lower your handicap, but irons of the traditional "tour blade" design are great fun. This is before the offset weighting, so most so the weight is right behind the ball. I don't know if pro's still use them, but I wouldn't doubt it due to their incredible athletic ability, and consistency that brings.
Yeah, they're called "blades" Smile

Pros use them because they can shape their shots with them. But, the same thing that permits that also makes them very unforgiving of less-than-ideal strikes. Whereas GI and SGI irons are more forgiving, but, greatly limit--if not all-but-eliminate, the ability to shape your shots.

AI design, first applied to drivers, then woods and hybrids, is now being applied to irons. This is resulting in "distance player's irons" that also have some forgiveness.

It's been a while since I've looked at them, but, I believe one or two I listed, above, fall into that category.

ETA: 2022 Cobra Golf KING Forged Tec and Forged TEC X Irons

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25990 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post