SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boston - Federal Judge: Assault Weapons ban doesn't violate 2nd Amendment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boston - Federal Judge: Assault Weapons ban doesn't violate 2nd Amendment Login/Join 
posted
https://www.boston.com/news/lo...iolate-2nd-amendment

BOSTON (AP) — Assault weapons and large-capacity magazines are not protected by the Second Amendment, a federal judge said in a ruling Friday upholding Massachusetts’ ban on the weapons.

U.S. District Judge William Young dismissed a lawsuit challenging the 20-year-old ban, saying assault weapons are military firearms that fall beyond the reach of the constitutional right to “bear arms.”

Regulation of the weapons is a matter of policy, not for the courts, he said.

“Other states are equally free to leave them unregulated and available to their law-abiding citizens,” Young said. “These policy matters are simply not of constitutional moment. Americans are not afraid of bumptious, raucous and robust debate about these matters. We call it democracy.”

State Attorney General Maura Healey said the ruling “vindicates the right of the people of Massachusetts to protect themselves from these weapons of war.”

“Strong gun laws save lives, and we will not be intimidated by the gun lobby in our efforts to end the sale of assault weapons and protect our communities and schools,” Healey, a Democrat, said in a statement. “Families across the country should take heart in this victory.”

AR-15 assault-style rifles are under increased scrutiny because of their use in several recent mass shootings, including the February massacre at a Florida high school that left 17 people dead.

The Gun Owners Gun Owners’ Action League of Massachusetts and other groups that filed the lawsuit argued that the AR-15 cannot be considered a “military weapon” because it cannot fire in fully automatic mode.

But Young dismissed that argument, noting that the semi-automatic AR-15’s design is based on guns “that were first manufactured for military purposes” and that the AR-15 is “common and well-known in the military.”

“The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to ‘bear arms,'” Young wrote.

Young also upheld Healey’s 2016 enforcement notice to gun sellers and manufacturers clarifying what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon under the state’s 1998 assault weapon ban, including copies of the Colt AR-15 and the Kalashnikov AK-47.

Healey’s stepped-up enforcement followed the shooting rampage at a nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that killed 49 patrons. She said at the time that gun manufacturers were circumventing Massachusetts’ ban by selling copycat versions of the weapons they claimed complied with the law.

The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban that expired in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific and name-brand weapons and explicitly bans copies or duplicates of those weapons.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Massachusetts gun owners group, said Young’s upholding of Healey’s crackdown on copycat assault weapons gives the attorney general “unbridled authority” to interpret laws as she pleases.

“Everyone in the state should be really concerned about that,” Wallace said. “What if the next attorney general isn’t a friend on one of your issues?”

Wallace said he couldn’t yet say whether the group will appeal the ruling.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution allows Americans to have guns in their homes for self-defense, blocking local governments from banning handguns.

But the court last year turned away an appeal from Maryland gun owners who challenged the state’s ban on assault weapons.

Posts: 2812 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
“The AR-15 and its analogs, along with large capacity magazines, are simply not weapons within the original meaning of the individual constitutional right to ‘bear arms,'” Young wrote.
I guess the judge has never read Heller.

Posts: 109011 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
What the hell does he think "in common use" means? I guess 15 million of them aren't "common" enough?

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Judicial over reach. This should be appealed

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ugh. I read that and it's all I can do not to bash my head repeatedly into a brick wall.

I really wish the Supreme Court would squash this nonsense once and for all.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30880 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
And can we talk about how the first Supreme Court case regarding the Second Amendment, US v Miller, turned on the (erroneous) argument that the banned weapon was NOT a military weapon, and thus not protected by the 2A? Thus if this idiot judge is arguing that the AR-15 IS for military use, then it should be specifically protected by the 2A!

quote:
In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a "shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length" at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument. Certainly it is not within judicial notice that this weapon is any part of the ordinary military equipment, or that its use could contribute to the common defense.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really wish the Supreme Court would squash this nonsense once and for all.

They did. The spike simply needs to be driven home. The banners are trying to make that an exercise in whack-a-mole in the hopes that some litigant, some where, simply won't have the money and the stamina to fight the decision up the appeals tree.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That liar is substituting his opnion for the law.

Good logic, BTE!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5995 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
He needs to read Heller and Joyce Mconald’s books. As I read it the 2nd amendment doesn’t grant any right, it affirms the right and states that the government will not infringe on that right.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Fuck you, your “honor”...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15788 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I would say that "judge" needs to eat these while reading Heller:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Appeal

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38195 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
So why didnt the 2nd Amendment prohibit people from owning “military weapons” in the 18th-20th centuries? Werent smoothbore muskets considered “military” weapons back in the day. Pretty sure the 2nd amendment covers our right to carry a standard issue infantry firearm.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
checking on the difference of militia and military

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55166 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
checking on the difference of militia and military

Military: the standing army of the country under the command of the federal government.

Militia: all other citizens "the people", with the affirmed right to bear arms.

Even the Federalist Papers clearly imply that the arms of the standing army and the militia are the same and that the standing army should always be well outnumbered by the armed citizens to prevent oppression and tyranny. A semi-auto firearms and magazines of any capacity are NOT in any way an unreasonable arm and equipment for the citizenry to possess and own. They have been in common use for over a century!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
But Young dismissed that argument, noting that the semi-automatic AR-15’s design is based on guns “that were first manufactured for military purposes” and that the AR-15 is “common and well-known in the military.”

I guess I gotta toss my Uberti Cattleman SA pistols out since they are a design based on a gun that was first manufactured for military purposes.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15276 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Considering the number of automatic M4 style rifles the US military have vs. how many semi-auto AR-15 rifles are owned by regular citizens, the AR is far more common by a ratio of about 30 to 1 which by some strange coincidence falls right in the range mentioned in Federalist 46 for an ideal ratio of armed citizens vs standing army to keep oppression and overreach at bay.

The appeal should make it clear to all these activist and personal opinion judges that their time is done as far as the 2A is concerned.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4414 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
He needs to read Heller and Joyce Mconald’s books. As I read it the 2nd amendment doesn’t grant any right, it affirms the right and states that the government will not infringe on that right.

This.

Posts: 3972 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
this 'judge' needs to be taught a lesson

one that hurts

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53775 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
I guess the judge has never read Heller.

It's worse than that....He read Heller and cited it in support of his opinion even though it said pretty much the opposite of what he cited it for. He distorted Scalia's words beyond recognition.

This will likely have to wait for a circuit split to get consideration at SCOTUS - and even then, they have shown no great desire to wade back into 2A issues. Hopefully, they will recognize the importance of defending their precedents against blatant misinterpretation and grant cert (and hopefully after Kennedy retires and is replaced by another Gorsuch style justice).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChicagoSigMan,

Posts: 6080 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post