SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do different ratchet wrench toggles differ between brands for tighten and loosen?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do different ratchet wrench toggles differ between brands for tighten and loosen? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My son came to do his brakes today. He brought some tools he bought. I forget the brand (probably a cheap Chinese brand). He had a ratchet and a torque wrench. They were not the same brand.

Every ratchet I’ve ever owned, including a newer craftsman set, you move the toggle right to set it for loosening and left for tightening. The ones my kid had were opposite. It was driving me nuts (see what I did there).

Anyhow I’m curious. I mean everything is strange these days. But I’m still in the northern hemisphere so ratchets shouldn’t change. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12452 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting observation. I've never paid any attention to them. I'll have to take a gander at mine tomorrow

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes they can differ, I always check them before use. Good luck with your project!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
On my Snap-On ratchets the lever goes to the left for tightening, and right for loosening.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
On my Snap-On ratchets the lever goes to the left for tightening, and right for loosening.

That’s so strange to me. I e had some snap on ratchets for years that are opposite. It I’ve had them since 1988.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12452 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Yes, two common examples would be the older 72T Tekton (Taiwan) and 72T Pittsburgh Pro (Taiwan). Maybe some of the Kobalt also. Flip the switch right to tighten on those.

I can stand it either, which is why all my pear head ratchets have the standard switch, left to tighten.

Or you could pick up a Wright round head 41T dual pawl and you will always have to check it before using since you can't tell from looking at it. Still one of my favorites though.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every ratchet I’ve ever owned, including a newer craftsman set, you move the toggle right to set it for loosening and left for tightening

I must have 20 plus ratchets spanning decades and price ranges. I can tell you there is no standard. The ones that have righty tighty lefty loosey switch always made more sense to me as a retired machinist. Ironically many of the cheaper ratchets got it right as far as following basic machinist and mechanic rules.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I've done quite a bit of wrenching and have never noticed a trend or standard in a ratchet direction lever, and if you asked me I would assume they are the same. It may be because my habit whenever I install a socket is I test direction by spinning the socket to see if it is going the direction I want. If it isn't, I flip the lever. I'm sure with using at least ten brands of ratchets over the years, I've seen the lever direction vary, but because of how I check, it isn't an issue.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

That’s so strange to me. I e had some snap on ratchets for years that are opposite. It I’ve had them since 1988.

You're right. I had it backwards in my head. Most of my other ratchets with the dial selector are the opposite though. Turn clockwise to loosen amd counter-clockwise to tighten.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I never paid attention, even on those that have the direction marked. I always just check the ratchet for rotation before I use it.

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Wow, so weird to find this out. You know, like you've known something all your life and then find out it's not true. I'm really most surprised I've never run into this before. I've used mostly Snap on and Craftsman throughout my life. But I've run into my share of cheap Chinese stuff and others and they have always been the same.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I never paid attention, even on those that have the direction marked. I always just check the ratchet for rotation before I use it.

Exactly.

Same for anything that ratchets.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post