SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An example of why FTF drills help in an emergency
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An example of why FTF drills help in an emergency Login/Join 
posted
This female LEO may have missed a few shots, but despite extreme pressure, she quickly racked and tapped when it counted.
Some persons would have panicked in this situation, I suspect her training saved her life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...8cE&feature=emb_logo

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Failure to feed, not face to face.

Holy cow! That went south fast. Good for the officer.

Posts: 10952 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
if you slow the video down, it looks like the assailant caused the jam.

His left hand hit the officer's gun, and then at least two casings fell to the ground. others noted what I thought were shell casings were actually the screwdriver and knife originally in his right hand

After he is initially shot, he drops the knife (knives ?). Then bends over and picks the knife up and stands up.

totally justified to keep shooting

This is a bizarre story.

https://www.policeone.com/offi...te-nlVyglqmY9evlM3j/

Michigan State Police have released video of a man being shot and fatally injured by an Eaton County Sheriff’s deputy after he approached her with a knife.

The incident occurred in a neighborhood area on Jerryson Drive in Delta Township around 7:15 a.m. on Tuesday. Police have identified the man shot by police as Sean Ernest Ruis, 43, of Grand Ledge. He later died in surgery.

The deputy had been pursuing Ruis after he allegedly stabbed a 77-year-old man from Lansing inside a Dimondale Quality Dairy store earlier Tuesday morning.

MSP say an argument began inside the store shortly before 6:45 a.m. over Ruis, who was a customer there, not wearing a mask. Ruis was refused service by the store. Ruis is accused of stabbing an older man in the store before he fled in a vehicle.

The graphic police video shows Ruis exiting the vehicle and walking toward the deputy with a knife in his hand. The female deputy, a 22-year veteran officer, can be seen yelling at the man to drop the weapon while backing away from Ruis.

The video then shows the deputy firing several rounds at Ruis when he fails to comply and makes an aggressive motion toward her. He then drops to the ground.

The stabbing victim was treated for his injuries, police said. The incident remains under investigation by the Michigan State Police.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
She did well with the jam.

I would like to know how many hits she got.

And lets show this video to the "why shoot him more than once" and the "shoot him in the leg" idiots. That guy kept attacking for up to four or five seconds after being hit, assuming he was hit by one of the first one or two shots.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Saw that one on Police Activity. What the hell? Looks like he had 2 knives, and she likely caught a slash or stick. Crazy she gets him multiple times and he's still up. Sounded like 5, jam, then 6 more. She had to have landed minimum 2 outta the first five doesn't even phase the guy.

11 rounds fired and he's still talking, probably got a body full of lead. Crazy how that works in real life.

He was playing the ultimate version of the copycat game there. Maybe he never grew up.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Saw that on Liveleak first, but YouTube is better because it can be slowed to frame by frame.

The attacker was carrying a large screwdriver in addition to the knife, and he hit her wrist and maybe the gun with it. That may have been the cause of the malfunction.

It’s lucky the wrist strike didn’t cause the officer to drop her gun. A hit on the inside of the wrist like that is taught as a disarming technique because it can cause the grip to open involuntarily.

A definite demonstration of “shoot until the threat is neutralized.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
After he is initially shot, he drops the knife (knives ?). Then bends over and picks the knife up and stands up.

totally justified to keep shooting

Absolutely.
When I first saw the video I didn’t notice that the man attempted to pick up his knife after being shot and dropping it earlier. I thought that the deputy might be criticized for continuing to shoot him after he started to fold down, but his picking up the knife definitely justified the additional shots.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Very good job officer.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Great job. Should be required viewing for anyone dumb enough to defund/disarm the police.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but after watching the video several times in slo-mo and freeze frame, I’m not sure any of her shots hit the suspect at all until after she cleared the stoppage.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the officer is ok, the BG not so much!

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
just my guess, but I think she shot him in the front right hip area before the jam.

It looks like bullets hitting the road behind him.

Which would mean if he had stopped then, he might have lived.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just empty the mag until the target is no longer a threat

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great example of how good training and proficiency with her weapon enabled this officer to survive. Of course there will be idiots out there demanding to know why this incident wasn't "de-escalated", even after viewing the efforts she took to get this crazy guy to stop and comply. Another example of how much good, the video age can do for law enforcement.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I love a story with a happy ending.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
She did a great job giving him numerous chances to survive the encounter, keeping as much distance as she could between them, clearing the jamb when as the threat was highest, and taking him down when he continued to be a threat. Great job and glad she's okay.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Good work!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize you could slow down youtube video, neat. Looking at it in slow motion, he had a long screwdriver in his left hand and a shorter one in his right along with what appears to be a knife. He drops both objects from his right hand. There's a couple frames where both are in the air then hitting the ground. In a couple of these frames the knife like object reminds me of a masonry trowel. Yeah, I know. Deck chairs on the Titanic.

Posts: 10952 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Over wearing a mask no less!

He had a screwdriver in his left hand and another screwdriver in his right hand along with a knife.

After he dropped the knife and screwdriver in his left hand he then transferred the screwdriver in his left hand to his right hand... because he is right handed I would guess. He then decides to pick the knife back up, so he bends over, reaches down for the knife with his right hand but he has a screwdriver in that hand... so when about 6 inches above the ground he drops the remaining screwdriver in favor of the knife. That action was the last he will ever make. DRT.

In my opinion he was never completely disarmed, good job officer.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
oh dang. Only question I have is why did she wait so long to shoot? He had a knife advancing on her, she's lucky to still be alive. Once she started shooting though, she was cool as a cumber. Handled her malfunction like a champ!

As was mentioned, I'd be curious to know how many connected. He didn't seem to flinch at all except when he took one in the leg?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post