SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hybrid Vehicle Owners lend me your thoughts.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hybrid Vehicle Owners lend me your thoughts. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking to replace the wife’s Suburban with the new Toyota Grand Highlander as Toyota finally got a clue they needed an SUV that has usable space behind the 3rd row.
Lexus is coming along with the TX that will be a plug in hybrid. Would love a plug in hybrid for our needs but the plug in will only be available in the top of the line F Sport model and won’t have the coin for that.
Toyota got rid of their tried and true V6 for a 4 cylinder turbo. Which I don’t want.
The hybrid model is only $1600 more and with my calculations compared to our Suburban we’ll recoup that is gas savings in just under a year. Presuming gas prices stay where they are. Either way we will likely reduce our gas usage by half.
They hybrid going in the Grand Highlander is their hybrid that has been around for a long time. All hybrid components are backed by a 10 year/150,000 miles so not terribly worried about replace my costs.
What else is there to consider on buying the hybrid?? I understand brakes last much longer, it is a slight learning curve driving the transmission.
So far by all accounts the hybrid in the Grand Highlander won’t be any races but has plenty of power to accelerate on to the high and handle and highway passing that may need to be done.

Just looking for your accounts and observations of actually owning a hybrid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know who has a Prius LOVES it. Toyota certainly seems to have nailed the hybrid concept, as they are committed to it, and and they are not committed to all electric.

I've never driven one of the Lexus or Toyota hybrids, but I see a ton of them on Orlando roads.

I'd be very happy with a hybrid, as it seems to me to be the best of both worlds. Economy, torque, range, easy fueling, boosted performance, etc.

I do have a client with the Porsche hybrid SUV. He loves that car, and tells me it is faster than the Maserati he traded for it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The reason I went with a 2021 Highlander was the normally aspirated V6. So far very satisfied but only had it a short while. Pretty darn good economy but we are not driving 20k miles a year either. I am pretty amazed how much room the rig has.
I never gave a hybrid any consideration. But I understand why some do.
A Toyota will save you $ over just about anything else you could drive. Have been doing for generations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Do hybrid batteries need to be replaced? If so, when and how much does that cost? If you are looking at keeping a vehicle, long-term, that is definitely a cost of ownership to be considered.

Posts: 33813 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Watch your fuel gauges, both of them. My old boss had a Prius and managed one day to run it out of both gas and battery. He put more gas in but it wouldn't start. He finally had to get the dealer to send a technician out to reboot the car. Of course that was about 15 years ago, maybe it's different now.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The reason I went with a 2021 Highlander was the non aspirated V6.

'Non-Aspirated'...Does it run at all? Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife has a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and she absolutely loves it.

I have never driven it, as the driver seat will not accommodate my extra-long legs. Not a slam at this vehicle, there are very few vehicles that I can drive due to driver seat legroom (or lack thereof).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Yeah, but it doesn't breathe. He probably meant "normally aspirated" as opposed to turbo (or super) charged.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have a '21 Highlander Platinum Hybrid AWD. It's a great rig for 2 people with occasional grandkids. 35 MPG and plenty of horses.

Today is it's second birthday and it's traveled 40,000 miles. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason I went with a 2021 Highlander was the non aspirated V6. So far very satisfied but only had it a short while. Pretty darn good economy but we are not driving 20k miles a year either. I am pretty amazed how much room the rig has.
I never gave a hybrid any consideration. But I understand why some do.
A Toyota will save you $ over just about anything else you could drive. Have been doing for generations.

We miss our Highlander something terrible. But they are just too small. We without a doubt would still have our 2012 Limited we traded for our 2015 Suburban.
The Grand Highlander adds lots of passenger and cargo space. On our summer trips we’ll need a larger rooftop cargo carrier but no big deal.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Do hybrid batteries need to be replaced? If so, when and how much does that cost? If you are looking at keeping a vehicle, long-term, that is definitely a cost of ownership to be considered.

We keep our main vehicle 5-7 years and do about 15k a year so I am not terrible concerned about it but if they go looks like it’s about $6k including labor. Going to see if this is something I can do myself.
Our oldest just turned 10 so there is a possibility this vehicle becomes his to cart our younger boys around.

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Watch your fuel gauges, both of them. My old boss had a Prius and managed one day to run it out of both gas and battery. He put more gas in but it wouldn't start. He finally had to get the dealer to send a technician out to reboot the car. Of course that was about 15 years ago, maybe it's different now.

User error or are the gauges just not accurate because of the duel duel usage?

————————————————

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

User error or are the gauges just not accurate because of the duel duel usage?

Not sure, but knowing him (and his wife) I suspect he/they just weren't paying attention. So, user error.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

sorry, it does appear to have a good set of lungs. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking it'll be heavier, but with a lower center of gravity.

Something to think about when going off road and/or towing.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would be the most cost-effective gas-to-electricity ratio, and what would be the estimated total annual cost to maintain that ratio?

Are the savings on ‘fuel’ still favorable over that of the V6 Highlander?

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Thinking it'll be heavier, but with a lower center of gravity.

Something to think about when going off road and/or towing.

No concern for this vehicle as I’ll have the Tundra still.

quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
What would be the most cost-effective gas-to-electricity ratio, and what would be the estimated total annual cost to maintain that ratio?

Are the savings on ‘fuel’ still favorable over that of the V6 Highlander?

They switched to a new 4 cylinder motor. I have no interest in a small displacement turbo motor as a daily driver. Especially a brand new engine, it’s Toyota so should be pretty solid but would much prefer the very proven motor.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
My local dealer has a Grand Highlander on the lot and I gave it a quick exterior glace. Seems pretty decent. I was curious about the hybrid too and the GH offers two hybrid choices. I would be concerned with with the base hybrid engine. I can only find it has 245 hp, no mention of torque. With the family and luggage I am questioning the power. The hybrid max has 362 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque which im sure will be nice but it cuts the MPG down pretty good.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
My local dealer has a Grand Highlander on the lot and I gave it a quick exterior glace. Seems pretty decent. I was curious about the hybrid too and the GH offers two hybrid choices. I would be concerned with with the base hybrid engine. I can only find it has 245 hp, no mention of torque. With the family and luggage I am questioning the power. The hybrid max has 362 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque which im sure will be nice but it cuts the MPG down pretty good.

The standard hybrid is 310 ft/lbs of torque. This motor has moved the standard Highlander just fine for years and the Grand Highlander is only 450 pounds heavier.
I am in a couple Grand Highlander groups and folks are happy with the hybrid abilities.

————————————————

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Hybrid - electric motor and gas motor. 2 engines, typically in city driving- the electric motor delivers the power at starting and low speeds. At higher speeds- gas engine kicks in to power the vehicle. Battery for electric motor is recharged during braking - thermal energy —> converted to electrical energy back to recharge battery.
1) City driving- gas engine turns off, you need to get used to electrical engine. At full stop- gas engine turns off. In driveway, slow speed- all electric- very quiet. You need to be aware of “stealth “ mode. The electric engine is quiet- sometimes you need to let a pedestrian or bicycle know a vehicle is present.
State specific tax incentives may be available- check State regs. Tax incentives at Federal level have been exhausted for hybrids.
Battery takes up lot of room and needs unobstructed air flow.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Grand Highlander adds lots of passenger and cargo space. On our summer trips we’ll need a larger rooftop cargo carrier but no big deal.

Have you considered adding a hitch rack instead of putting stuff on top?

It's the method I used to great success for cargo.

Makes for you accessing easier (also makes theft easier, though) and won't affect your aerodynamics like something on the roof does.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Have you considered adding a hitch rack instead of putting stuff on top?

It's the method I used to great success for cargo.

Makes for you accessing easier (also makes theft easier, though) and won't affect your aerodynamics like something on the roof does.

Yes, in the end I will likely need both. We currently fill the entire Suburban cargo area, two seats in the 3rd row, and the rooftop cargo carrier on our trips.

Looking to add the Yakima Exo Gear locker if the larger rooftop box does not suffice.

————————————————