SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Best and Worst Invention of the 20th Century
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Best and Worst Invention of the 20th Century Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
In my opinion it’s the computer

I believe that the promises made haven’t materialized for most people

They were supposed to make work easier, do the mundane tasks. Instead workloads have increased.

Computers allow us to communicate more easily than writing letters and cards. But now we have been blessed with spam emails, identity theft, government snooping and surveillance. Scammers, crooks, miscellaneous thieves, censorship and polarization of society are all the benefits we have reaped from computers.

A simpler life was a better life.

Posts: 53237 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Cell phone combo unit: portable phone; camera; computer; internet connection.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2707 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
24hr News Cycle.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The computer is bad, but not as bad as the cell phone, which has effectively become a pocket sized computer.

Posts: 26948 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plastic.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Best -- Ford's Model T.

The Model T was the first car that average Americans—farmers and workers alike—could afford. Over the next two decades, Ford produced over 15 million Model Ts. To make and sell these millions of Model Ts, Ford revolutionized production by developing the moving assembly line. Few other inventions demonstrated the ingenuity of Americans in terms of both production and engineering, and even fewer were inventions that so thoroughly changed American life and captured the imagination of people. Recognizing that more than half of all Americans still lived in the country in 1907, Ford decided that the Model T would have to be rugged and easy to repair if it was going to be useful to farmers. To give the car strength but keep it light, Ford made key parts out of vanadium steel, which was three times stronger than ordinary steel. Ford realized that to make cheap cars, he would have to make a lot of them, and this led him to experiment extensively with production methods. Borrowing existing practices from other metalworking industries, Ford and his team created a line production system, in which they placed machines and workers in a carefully planned sequence of operations.

-- From The Great Courses lesson "Understanding the Inventions that Changed the World'.

Best -- Computers. Look what powerful mainframes have done to solve extremely complex scientific, mathematical, engineering and medical problems. And wait until quantum computing evolves.

Take a macro view of computers and not just today's problems. I was in grad school in the mid-80s working toward an engineering degree when I bought an IBM PC. It saved me; both in writing a thesis (word processor vs. paper & typewriter) but also solving mundane, iterative mathematical problems. What would have taken several days and a mountain of paper turned into a couple of hours.

Best -- Aviation.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Disagree with computer being bad, no computer- no Sigforum. Thanks to computers I have not been in a bank in years, post office- pre printed labels no getting in line. Able to research topics in seconds used to have to go to library. Not to mention all the things I have learned from Youtube and the hours saved finding parts on line instead of calling around town and going to get them.

Yea there are some bad things but I remember the days before them and would not want to go back.

Posts: 3576 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Atomic power.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1907 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Toss-up between the internet and cell phones.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The best: nuclear power/a-bomb, h-bomb (although its full promise has yet to be realized)

The worst: the welfare state (and the kind of thinking that led to it)

Posts: 6511 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best (tie): Manned jet flight & antibiotic revolution (1920s-1930s & prior to today's potential for overprescribing).

The worst: Biological weapons. Maybe New Coke. Cool

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Yoga pants. They are the best or the worst depending on who wears them.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Worst: Thermonuclear weapons
Best: Jennifer Connelly

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The worst part about this is the utter loss of privacy and anonymity

We’re now nothing more than a revenue stream to be accessed by an identity number

You can’t even trust a photograph now to be real, you can manipulate images and audio files to make anyone say anything you want - you can’t even really trust what you see or hear

Posts: 53237 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Computers are a pro and a con,

when I was in the Grocery Biz, it helped tremendously,

registers and scanners,
ordering systems, granted most were based on obsolete programs and did not always talk to each ohter like they should, but if you trusted and monitored, it worked great (CAO, if you were in the biz)

and yet, with all the data generated, that meant that someone could generate reports, and then some pencil neck geek that never set foot on the sales floor or worked in a store would send you ideas, processes, and new methods of doing things that sometimes worked, sometimes did not and were always a pita to impliment,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Air conditioning/refrigeration should be in the top 10.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
The computer is bad, but not as bad as the cell phone, which has effectively become IS a pocket sized computer.

As the saying goes, FIFY

How quickly something that we didn’t even think about a relatively short time ago, has become an integral part of our lives.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
best - hard roads
worst - the pill (a double edged sword)

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8367 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best: Air conditioning. It made the south tolerable.

Worst: The 19th Amendment. Shhh, don't tell Mrs. xd45man. I'm afraid of her.

Posts: 680 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
remote control everything.

I think that in 2072
They will find out that they will confirm without a doubt ,
That ninty percent of of these signals are the cause of chromosome and d.n.a. destruction, over eight decades.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54708 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post