SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Using a smartphone as music player, I have a couple of questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a smartphone as music player, I have a couple of questions. Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
My MP3 player hasn’t been working well for a while, the battery barely holds an hour’s worth of charge. So, I decided to take an old smartphone , delete everything I could off of it, upload music files onto it and use it as a music player. After I changed a handful of files from WMA to MP3 I was go to go. Mostly. I have two questions for you kind folk here on the forum. The files are in alphabetical order by title. Is there a way to separate them-perhaps by genre or maybe by artist? My other question is I ripped a song off a CD that was burned for me and instead of it showing up as the song that plays (Don Henley’s “Everything is Different Now”) it displays a song sung by Maria Callas. Confused No matter what I’ve tried I can’t rename the file. Is there something that can be done or am I stuck with it?

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My Daughter uses a 9 year old iPhone 3G for music.

I have no idea if any of this will help but...
The current default iPhone player will list, sort and play by either...
Playlist
Artist
Album
Song Title
Genre
in addition you can search for a song via entering some partial lyrics contained in it.

I would be surprised if an Android phone wouldn't do similar.

Perhaps a 3rd party app would work better? IDK.

iTunes on the computer will allow you to rename a song (or any other of its info) via the "song info" menu item. Just like editing the EXIF info of a photo.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I only have experience with iPhones; is it an iPhone? I have a very old iPhone which I use as a music player for my birds. I have it docked with a music player. I have the music I want to play for them when we are gone in a “Playlist.” You can create a playlist in anyway you want using iTunes; song title, artist, genre, etc. I too have had the problems of a ripped song having the wrong title and have just let it be; I actually haven’t even looked into changing it as I don’t care as long as the music plays.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I only have experience with iPhones; is it an iPhone? I have a very old iPhone which I use as a music player for my birds. I have it docked with a music player. I have the music I want to play for them when we are gone in a “Playlist.” You can create a playlist in anyway you want using iTunes; song title, artist, genre, etc. I too have had the problems of a ripped song having the wrong title and have just let it be; I actually haven’t even looked into changing it as I don’t care as long as the music plays.

I apologize, I left that part out, it is a android phone. I can sort of see your point about not being too worked up about the song title and artist, just so long as it plays.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Android files are organized like Windows files. Plug the phone into a computer, browse in windows explorer to the files on the phone, right click on a file and look at its properties.

You should see artist, title, genre, album, etc. This could be a long and tedious process, FYI.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Maria Callas. That brings back memories of my high school days. Heard her at the Met, in NYC, many times.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Different music playing apps will let you organize by Genre or playlist etc.

I've tried a bunch of file naming apps to try and fix problems with my music files and none of them seem to work. Good luck with that part of the issue.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Android phone is the best on that area, basically you can download any music on YouTube convert it to mp3 and drag and drop to your phone.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of Android phone do you have?

There are certain apps that do a very good job of identifying music files and organizing them for you.

I understand that Samsung's own music app does this quite well. But you need a Samsung phone for that. I would surmize there are other apps available to do this in the Google Play Store.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Maria Callas. That brings back memories of my high school days. Heard her at the Met, in NYC, many times.

I don’t mean to imply anything against Maria Callas, she had a wonderful singing voice, I am just perplexed that the music file that actually is Don Henley shows up as Maria Callas singing “Oh se una volta sola-Ah mon Crediam Miarti”.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
What type of Android phone do you have?

It’s a Alcatel one touch.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Different music playing apps will let you organize by Genre or playlist etc.

I've tried a bunch of file naming apps to try and fix problems with my music files and none of them seem to work. Good luck with that part of the issue.

Yeah, I went into iTunes and changed everything I could, song title, artist, songwriter. It still shows up as Maria Callas. *shrug*

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I use the standard Music app. IMO, much, much better than iTunes. I use E.A.C. in my laptop to rip my CDs into FLAC files organized into folders, including the cover art. I name the folder with the artist, then album title. All of ripped folders are in a master "FLAC" folder, which gets copied onto my Samsung's microSD card. On the music app in my phone, I organize the albums by folder, so whenever I open the music app, it lists all of the albums by artist in alphabetical order, with album title.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Music to my ears!
Picture of synthrob
posted Hide Post
I've used the same music player program for my computers and my phones. It's free, with some advanced features. For a small price, you can remove ads and/or get even more features.

I copy and paste albums from my computer to the phone and it finds music files and sets up the albums. You can also set up playlists.

Just type in jet audio (yes, lower case) in Google Play and install it. Works great, many useful features.

You may want to get the same program for your computer.

Music is mediator between spiritual and sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Posts: 2853 | Location: NE Ohio  | Registered: April 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There are lots of music players that will organize your music in any way you can imagine.

I use one called Neutron. Its interface is a little clunky, but it is optimized for better sound. Some other players have slicker interfaces. Take your pick.

Oddball described how to rip your music to files. I also use EAC and rip to FLAC files, which are CD quality, but bigger than the fairly crappy sounding mp3 files many use. EAC will generate the tags (labels) that let your music player organize the music.

Or you can just buy your music in digital file format from whatever source you like.

I use my regular phone. Storage is cheap now - you can put a lot of music on a phone. My phone has 128 gig of internal storage and a 256 gig SD card in it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use VLC on the phone because I prefer playing FLAC files, but it also does all the sorting you want.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
MP3 files have "Tags" - metadata with things like artist, album, song genre, etc. The tags have nothing to do with file names. But these tags are how your MP3 player knows about the songs.

It sounds to me like you need a tag editor. You can tag files with an editor based on filename and other criteria, and you can manually tag files. I use Tag & Rename, but it's a paid app. There may be freebies out there.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
MP3 files have "Tags" - metadata with things like artist, album, song genre, etc. The tags have nothing to do with file names. But these tags are how your MP3 player knows about the songs.

It sounds to me like you need a tag editor. You can tag files with an editor based on filename and other criteria, and you can manually tag files. I use Tag & Rename, but it's a paid app. There may be freebies out there.

I found a free tag editor and was able to rename it. I uploaded it to the phone and deleted the previous version. SUCCESS! Smile