SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If there is a grease zirk (fitting) There is a reason.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If there is a grease zirk (fitting) There is a reason. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
First let me say I am no mechanic. I actually love machinery. But don't like to work on it a lot or fully understand a lot of it.

I can do oil and lube and some basic mechanicing. That is most of my skill level and more over desire.

Having said all of that. One of the main issue's in keeping stuff going that is all but ignored and is a good reason for good equipment thrown in the junk pile permaturely is lack of lubrication. I know we know that since this is a firearm site. We know that.

But when pulling stuff out for spring work look for the fittings. If they have been ignored the fitting may have dried out and wont take grease. Take a tiny drill bit and drill it out.

Btw, most cars and trucks that go in for a lube a filter don't get any lube or almost no lube. If you have a 4wd and dont do your own I can almost guarantee your drive line is dry as a bone.

Look for grease zirks and give them some love.

Wink Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure it's a zirk fitting and not the brake bleed fitting you're greasing.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13490 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
...If they have been ignored the fitting may have dried out and wont take grease. Take a tiny drill bit and drill it out.

Look for grease zirks and give them some love.

Wink Cool

Don't drill them, there is a small ball bearing that holds in the grease. Fix or replace them instead.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who I completely trust his skill. Made a good living fixing peoples stuff. Told me that. Hence the "tiny" bit. So you decide.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I am aware of two types zerks and alamite,zerks shaped like arrowhead and alamites have ball with spring under ball.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Massey Ferguson 850 combine has a whole lot of grease fittings, all over it.
Most all of them you pump grease in until you start seeing some come out at some point. There happens to be one that is on a circular housing that happens to be for the clutch release bearing that I now know only gets two pumps of grease maximum, not pumping until grease comes out bottom of said housing. Just fortunate I could outrun my Grandfather lest he had killed me with the wrench that was in his hand whilst he was chasing me when he realized why combine was smoking and would not move.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had an old truck (1964 Chevy C-10) that had a zerk on every steering/suspension part that moved, plus three universal joints, plus the clutch linkage. Big Grin If you're using a hand gun, this can get very tiring.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I have a buddy who I completely trust his skill. Made a good living fixing peoples stuff. Told me that. Hence the "tiny" bit. So you decide.

Maybe the drill frees up a stuck bearing. Sometimes replacement isn't possible. A lot of times a grease needle will also free up a troublesome zerk. Smile

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
[a grease needle will also free up a troublesome zerk. Smile[/QUOTE]

Also required when doing the drive line.

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
If you love it lube it. Applies to all situations in life!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I had an old truck (1964 Chevy C-10) that had a zerk on every steering/suspension part that moved, plus three universal joints, plus the clutch linkage. Big Grin If you're using a hand gun, this can get very tiring.

The F-4 Phantom had a 7 day cal inspection required greasing everything, piano hinges on panels and flight control surfaces, wing folds, a ton of high and low pressure fittings, on all the gear components, pullys, bellcranks with multiple lubes and greases, anti-sieze, etc., and a whole bunch of other things in the cards.

Always wore the worst set of fatigues for the 7 day.

Took nearly half a day (but it seemed like seven...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
As pointed out, a bleed fitting looks REALLY similar to a grease fitting. Also, it is common to remove grease fittings and plug the hold in places where the fitting may interfere with moving parts. You need to remove the plug and insert a grease fitting, grease, then remove and plug again.

Another point about grease....they don't like being mixed. Also, use the proper grease. They have different temperature levels and water resistance properties depending on the intended application. When in doubt (and as a good policy) clean and remove all old grease prior to inserting new grease.

Be careful of closed systems where over pressurizing grease can actually cause more harm than good. A constant speed propeller is a good example. Pilot's see a grease fitting, and pump some grease in...but proper procedure is to remove the opposite fitting to not over-pressurize the prop hub. Blowing out a seal in a constant speed propeller hub is going to cost some money to fix.

All of that can be summed up in the following advice: Find the service manual appropriate for the equipment, and follow the instructions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My Machine Shop instructor told me nearly 50 years ago...
"Everything works best and last longer with the correct... and correct amount of... lubrication"
I never forgot that.

This can help with a clogged fitting... if you have the room to use it.

http://www.northerntool.com/sh..._200430913_200430913

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This airplane crashed because a jackscrew used to raise and lower the elevator wasn't greased and stripped out, causing it to lose control. Eek https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Airlines_Flight_261

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Unless it's a sterndrive with a new sealed gimbal bearing and someone didn't remove the zerk!

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

My 2002 Chevy pickup had 11 zerks on the front end. My 2010 Chevy pickup only has 4.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grease fittings are cheap. Take it out and throw it away. Then clean out the gunk in the hole where the fitting was. Use penetrating oil and then dig it out with a sharp tool (or maybe a tiny drill bit). Make sure the bearing or shafts turns freely. Then put in a new fitting. The grease fitting cleaner and that cparktd mentioned sometimes work, but often do not because the dried up grease and dirt is just too hard.

Posts: 617 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post