SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HOA threatens homeowner after car leaves an unusual shape in snow
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOA threatens homeowner after car leaves an unusual shape in snow Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I realize that sometimes we have little choice about where and how we live, but every time I learn of something like this, I can only wonder at the number of people who not only submit to such regimentation, but actually seek it out.

I cannot imagine the amenity that would have to be offered for me to put up with the kind of ridiculous crap that goes with HOAs.

I would sooner pitch a tent and live in the woods before I would ever voluntarily submit to a list of rules outlining what I can do on MY PROPERTY. I cannot believe how many people choose to live under these conditions. More power to you if you choose to do so, I'm not saying they should be banned, they are just not something I would ever even consider.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I realize that sometimes we have little choice about where and how we live, but every time I learn of something like this, I can only wonder at the number of people who not only submit to such regimentation, but actually seek it out.

I cannot imagine the amenity that would have to be offered for me to put up with the kind of ridiculous crap that goes with HOAs.

I would sooner pitch a tent and live in the woods before I would ever voluntarily submit to a list of rules outlining what I can do on MY PROPERTY. I cannot believe how many people choose to live under these conditions. More power to you if you choose to do so, I'm not saying they should be banned, they are just not something I would ever even consider.

It's a necessary evil in some cases, mine included. I will say I appreciate the fact that they completely clear the snow from my sidewalk, and my porch/steps. Yes I pay for that, but it's nice.

The fact is that we do live in a community, and there are services that need to be had. There are common areas, security concerns, etc.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
It looks more like a Chess Pawn or a cartoon dog bone.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

It's a necessary evil in some cases, mine included. I will say I appreciate the fact that they completely clear the snow from my sidewalk, and my porch/steps. Yes I pay for that, but it's nice.

The fact is that we do live in a community, and there are services that need to be had. There are common areas, security concerns, etc.

As far as I can see, that is only a necessary evil when you live in a condominium.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:

As far as I can see, that is only a necessary evil when you live in a condominium.

I live in a single family home in a community in which we share an alley and a common grassy area we call mews. This is where kids play, and as a neighborhood we assemble for get togethers. The HOA is necessary to keep the area landscaped, free of snow, and safe. It's not city property, so the home owners have to do it. Sure in a perfect world this would be voluntary, and everyone would contribute. Reality dictates it needs to be administered correctly, and funded properly. And I'm a libertarian.

When we first created the community, I was part of the Design Review Committee. Homeowners were required to submit and gain approval on things like new fencing, shrubs/trees, landscape improvements etc. Some members of this committee thought it was important to require some sort of uniformity from a design perspective in the community.

My first and only comment in our first meeting was that if the homeowner wants to do something that passes city rules/code, it's not our place as neighbors to tell them otherwise.

This committee no longer exists.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
This is a fine example of the head trip power does to simple minded people with inability to use common sense. I was a president of an HOA after being approached by the majority of the home owners. The current president at the time was ripping off the HOA, and harassing land owners. Spending down the balance every year, and not building an emergency fund. I know what a pain in the ass HOAs can be. We were not, but we also were not going to allow a pig farm to operate. They have their place in maintaining the common areas and roads but when they start screwing with people it’s a shame. In all the cases where we had to approach someone on a violation of the covenants it was because of a complaint from another resident. Never did we go out and look for violations. When people live in close proximity of others there will come a time of differences and or busy bodies that have nothing to do but complain about the most pissy things. I saw the same thing as a LEO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm currently on my HOA board.

Trying to be the voice of reason against a few busybodies on power trips is utterly exhausting.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often thought - if you tell the HOA board to go fuck themselves, can they fine you?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I have often thought - if you tell the HOA board to go fuck themselves, can they fine you?

You mean for saying go fuck yourself or they approach you with a violation then you tell them to go fuck themselves.

If you are in violation of somemthing in the covenants and it allows you to be fined yes. It is all how they were written that matters. Other options are you could be put in a member not in good standing, lose your voting rights, if it was very flagrant you could be brought into court on a civil action, and if you lost would have a judges order, and have to pay court costs. If you refused to pay it would be put in as a lien against the property, building interest, fees. It is all about what is in the by laws and covenants. Each HOA is different. This is why it is sooooo important to understand what you are getting into when purchasing a property within an HOA.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Big snow tits. Why aren't there any big snow tits?

Covered...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I'm currently on my HOA board.

Trying to be the voice of reason against a few busybodies on power trips is utterly exhausting.

I understand that! You look at how unreasonable and lack of common sense people have. More then not the people who have all the time in the world and want the power over others tend to be attracted to HOA boards. There has to be active people in the community with common sense willing to be a balance or better yet stay in control of the board to assure tranquility with in the HOA.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Covered...

Yes, The Grand Tetons

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I can say that one highlight was when it was revealed that one of the biggest busybodies on the board wasn't even a homeowner. She was residing in the home, but her father was the homeowner. Therefore, she not only couldn't be on the board, but she had no standing to file complaints either.

In the several years she had been trying to boss folks around, nobody had bothered to check the property records to see if she was, in fact, a homeowner.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17007 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:

I Googled snow tits.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
This is the reason that the HOA board for our really exclusive mobile home park (one triple-wide) only has two members. The only problem is that for some reason Mrs. slosig’s vote seems to count a lot more than mine does. Oh well, if Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy...

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Covered...

Is it wrong if I'm getting a woody?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post