SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with Verizon, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Verizon, please Login/Join 
posted
Verizon is my cell service provider and I'm having difficulty resolving an issue with them. Somewhere along the line my account was suspended (as in I can't log in and work with account details). People in the local Verizon store keep referring me to the corporate customer service line. On the customer service line, I can't find any way to get to a human to help resolve the account access issue.

The last straw was this week when I went to Canada and couldn't find a way to turn on their international roaming feature (Travel Pass, they call it). I'm fed up with paying the freight and not being able to use the features. My inclination is to close the account, open a new one, and try to go on from there. I'm guessing, though, that I'm going to end up in a loop: close the current account, quit paying, but get referred to the old account when I try to open another.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't recall the exact menu sequence, cuz it's been nearly a year, but call, go thru the menus until offered an "other" option, then say, clearly "representative," and you'll get a live person.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Also, most phone menus will connect you with a human if you keep pressing the zero key like you're trying to call an operator.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
dial "611" from your phone and say "cancel service", then tell them that you want to cancel your service unless you can regain access to your account.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Cancel the account.

Get your service from Total Wireless. They are an MVNO that resells air time on the Verizon network.

You can use your Verizon-compatible phone, you use the same network, the monthly cost for Total Wireless is much less than what you would pay Verizon for the same service, and there is no contract -- it is a month-to-month service.

Right now my wife and I use this service, paying sixty dollars / month plus sales tax and 911 fee for a total of $64.30 / month. This gives us two phones, both with unlimited talk / text, and a 15 GB pool of shared data, all using the Verizon network, without the need to deal with Verizon's customer NO-service.

On the rare occasions that I need to communicate with a Total Wireless rep, I use the "chat" facility on their website and I always get connected to a human quickly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31384 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
If you have a Twitter account, I would suggest contacting them by tweeting your issue at Verizon and/or Verizon Wireless customer support. I have had a fair amount of success (and quick response) when I resort to social media to get the attention of actual humans at large corporations.

Posts: 967 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Cancel the account.

Get your service from Total Wireless. They are an MVNO that resells air time on the Verizon network.

How are the data speeds and GPS on this MVNO network?

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: "Anyone got any ideas?"

Some years ago unresolveable billing issue with their in-house process was finally concluded by my contacting our State.gov agency for such utilities. I forget the exact name of the agency, but it was some omsbudsman charged with skillful oversight of managing what would otherwise be shameful abuse of the customer by a public utility.

Since then, no issues with Verizon & intend to keep them as long as they serve my needs.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Also, most phone menus will connect you with a human if you keep pressing the zero key like you're trying to call an operator.

This method works, and I use it often. Usually you have to wait until it gets to the "press 1 for ..." sequence. Then just lean on the zero key.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Cancel the account.

How are the data speeds and GPS on this MVNO network?
I can't compare them to buying direct from Verizon, as opposed to the reseller (Total Wireless), since I have never had Verizon service directly from Verizon. I do know that it beats the heck out of the service I had from AT&T on the same phone.

Of course, we don't use much data on the cellular network, we mostly use data over WiFi. Maybe 1 GB per month cellular data, for my wife and me, combined.

My suggestion: try them for a month. Worst case, if it doesn't work out for you, you're out ten bucks for a Total Wireless SIM, plus one month of service. It's no contract, so you can walk away at any time with no penalty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31384 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I may just do that.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Thanks. I may just do that.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Total Wireless is cheap enough, but I just found a way to lower my cost with them even further.

Their single phone plan, unlimited talk / text, with 5 GB data is $35 / month, the two-phone plan that wife and I use is $60 / month with 15 GB shared data.

Most of our data use is on WiFi; our cellular data is usually less than 1 GB / month, so I'm paying for data that we are not using.

They have a single phone plan, unlimited talk / text for $25 / month.

NOTE: They will reduce by 5% if you let them auto-suck from your checking account. Nope, I'm not going to do that. Add local sales tax (6.5% for me in Orange County FL), plus twenty cents per phone for 911 fee.

If you run out of data on any plan, you can buy add-on data in 5 GB increments at $10 / 5 GB. The basic service is good for 30 days. The add-on data does not expire as long as it is connected to a basic plan. So, I could -- belay that, I will buy our future service using the $25 / phone plan for talk and text, and add the $10 add-on data. The $10 data should be good for six months or more, per phone, so we'll be money ahead of the game by paying for only the data that we actually use.

"Thrifty," that's what we are!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I've found that when the phone tree asks me to describe what I want, continuing to respond "Representative." in a more and more pissed off tone seems to get me to a representative the quickest. Once they come on line I reset to a normal and polite tone, explain the problem, and ask politely for their help and I am usually quite please with the response.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents - problem solved. I was at the Verizon store when they opened this morning, one of the peddlers got me to a human on the phone, and the phone rep got me through a password change. Seemed a lot more painful than it should have been, but I can access my account and services.

If that hadn't happened, cancelling the account was the next step as a couple of you suggested. Thanks again.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post