SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Online social media, and the value of community.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online social media, and the value of community. Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It may be foreign to you, but that's how certain groups display endearment. With good-hearted insults and funny names and well-timed curse words, but always from a place of love.

The people I respect, I insult and put them down. But that's because I know they can take it. I had a blind friend who I was always making a joke about his blindness in front of him. Anyone hearing us would think I was being abusive. But he liked it because everybody else would tip toe around the fact he was blind.

One time I was leading him with his hand on my shoulder. I go around a partially open door then I hear a thud behind me. Without missing a beat, I say, "Oh, yeah, watch out for that open door." The look on the woman in front of me as aghast.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. I'm glad to see you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13945 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

It may be foreign to you, but that's how certain groups display endearment. With good-hearted insults and funny names and well-timed curse words, but always from a place of love.

The people I respect, I insult and put them down. But that's because I know they can take it. I had a blind friend who I was always making a joke about his blindness in front of him. Anyone hearing us would think I was being abusive. But he liked it because everybody else would tip toe around the fact he was blind.

One time I was leading him with his hand on my shoulder. I go around a partially open door then I hear a thud behind me. Without missing a beat, I say, "Oh, yeah, watch out for that open door." The look on the woman in front of me as aghast.

--
The point of my reply was in reference to the OP's post about how you can get away with saying anything on the internet.
The reference to certain groups, well, that's no difference to me, It's like being the only sober person in a room full of drunks, I'm used to it, no biggie.

As far as treating people I respect, I would never try to beat them down, especially not on the internet alone, without meeting them first, even then I never have or will likely do.

This is a privately owned Forum, I think it's very well run, I try to contribute when I can, I learn a lot here. The knowledge base is incredible.
The shit stirrers can sometimes be hard to figure out, Have to decide if it's a joke or what.
Intentionally stirring up stuff on a Forum like this is a fine art, one that I'm not skilled at, but it makes it interesting and I'm sure the posters thrive on the attention.
You can be anything on the internet, would you act the same way in person?

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Feces occur ... and remember the saying that goes something like : "this is not an airport ... ".

Just sayin' from one shit head to another. (think that was kinda a quote from the movie Patton ).

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
It’s good to see people come rather than go that’s for sure.

I’ve learned over the years that personalities really don’t mean shit, everybody has one and most wouldn’t like mine so who am I to judge.

It’s been my experience that people I thought were real dicks initially wound up being good friends while those I thought were decent turned into shitbags. It’s not an endearing term in the Navy, but I see what you were going for Smile.

As much as I can get irritated with this place, and I’m sure do my fair share of irritating, Sigforum has gotten eased my path through some crappy times for sure. Community is being able to count on folks when you need it and I think I could count on a pretty decent group of people here. Doesn’t have to be in person.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6294 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you back, arc.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:

Yes, and precisely to my point in posting this thread. I assure you that I will absolutely say everything in person that I've ever said online. The discussion board format, at scale, is the best online approximation of a well mannered public. It's been a few years, some folks don't know me or perhaps they've forgotten. I'm not the same as who I was, but there are pieces of ourselves we may not change if even by choice. I'm not easy to get along with in any media.

How many people are really themselves on the internet, and how many people would take responsibility for being themselves? How many people take responsibility for being themselves in meatspace? I'm my own fault, but I also take credit for self improvement, nobody does that to me like I do.

It wasn't intentional to take as long of a powder as I did, and few people know the awkwardness of being staff and coming back busted to Private. But I also don't hold any grudges for that or any number of things that have happened over a lot of years. I know the names of too many members who chose pride and the wind. When you're staring at a horse's ass, hindsight is 20/20.

I'm me, I can make poor choices in the moment. But I ain't playing checkers. There's the old saying about judging a man before walking a mile in his shoes. Good luck taking my shoes from me, but also who would really want them at this point? They are hardly new. Just not as gross as the flipflops of that weird old guy who's always naked in the gym locker room.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

--
The point of my reply was in reference to the OP's post about how you can get away with saying anything on the internet.
The reference to certain groups, well, that's no difference to me, It's like being the only sober person in a room full of drunks, I'm used to it, no biggie.

As far as treating people I respect, I would never try to beat them down, especially not on the internet alone, without meeting them first, even then I never have or will likely do.

This is a privately owned Forum, I think it's very well run, I try to contribute when I can, I learn a lot here. The knowledge base is incredible.
The shit stirrers can sometimes be hard to figure out, Have to decide if it's a joke or what.
Intentionally stirring up stuff on a Forum like this is a fine art, one that I'm not skilled at, but it makes it interesting and I'm sure the posters thrive on the attention.

I was only replying directly to RogueJSK as my response was only tangential to him. I have no opinion on your original post. If you read my response to the OP, it really wasn't a kumbaya response. I was responding to parts of it same as you obviously responded to parts of his OP.

To answer your question and as I said in my response: yes, I act the way I said I act. Except I don't go low brow with profanity; profanity is the crutch of illiterate motherfuckers. My insults are much more refined and sideways. Like when someone says they have trouble sleeping, I wait my turn and say I used to have trouble sleeping until, just before I go to bed, I make sure I have a clear conscience. Or if they say they're always cold or always hot, I say I used to have whatever they have until I started taking a shower every day.

But I do wait at least two minutes after meeting you before I start. It's a quick way to see who can take a joke.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19632 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Arc, good to see ya.

Posts: 4010 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you, Arc. I, too enjoy your candor and your ability to really analyze a situation/conversation. Typically, I either think, “that’s an excellent point, I never thought of it that way” or.. “damn straight, that’s exactly it”.

And Dave, no joke..everyone wants to be in charge, and wants to tell me how I’m doing it wrong. I’ve come so close to saying “pony up both your balls, more than everything you own, have zero backing from any institution, and let’s see how you get on”.

Arrogant. Even those who did ultimately become “bosses/supervisors” - and don’t get me wrong, I’m proud of them for that- none actually went into business for themselves independently. All tucked themselves into some major corp to protect them if they took a dump.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5292 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post