SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on purchasing a rental vehicle
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on purchasing a rental vehicle Login/Join 
posted
Saw on the news about the potential bankruptcy of Hertz and the potential of selling off their fleet. Decided to take a look at what they currently have, just to see. Looking at the 2018/2019ish 4Runners with about 35-45k miles, are running about $25k. Obvious things like accidents, multi- users, are things to take into consideration, but what else is there that I am missing? Would the low purchase price of this vehicle outweight negatives (excluding accidents and obvious abuse)? Anyone have any knowledge or experience purchasing a former rental vehicle? Thanks.

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Considering how the average person treats rental items (houses, cars, the proverbial mule, etc.), I would have some serious reservations about buying a former rental car.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Former neighbor has bought multiple, no major issues.

I'd recommend a PPI just to be safe.

Edit: Also, when I was working for a local Chevrolet dealer, we bought a lot of off-rental Malibus & Impalas for CPO inventory. In my limited time behind the wheel of those, they all seemed in good shape & had pretty low miles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Rental companies are self insured, and as such do not report damage to CarFax or any services, so you'll never be able to know if the vehicle was totalled, in a fender bender or clean its what they say it is.

Some renters drive them like it's their own vehicle, having some semblance of decency when using other peoples items. Others, drive the crap out of them and don't care what they do to them.

Then again you could say the same for individually owned vehicles/leased. I doubt the risk is any worse than some yahoo that Bo and Luked his charger and didn't report it...

Just be sure to inspect it, theres nothing wrong with it anymore than any other used vehicle.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have bought them before, no problems, just have it looked over by a mechanic for evidence of abuse or accidents that may not be on the reports

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend used to sell 3 year old used rental vehicles. She reports that they were generally in excellent condition mechanically.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2013 I bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna from Enterprise with 32,000 miles on it. 7 years later I am at nearly 80,000 miles and it has been perfect. No issues whatsoever, no matter how small.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What’s the difference between a rental car and a 4x4?

There’s some places a 4x4 just can’t go! Wink

I would inspect the crap out of it and have a mechanic I trust do the same before buying.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple of things:

1. Most fleets will wholesale out damaged cars without fixing them if the damage is more than say $5000. Its just more cost effective to replace it than wait for it to be fixed. That means while the vehicle may have been hit a dozen times, it probably wasn't a severe accident with structural damage.

2. The higher end the vehicle, the better shot you have getting a good one. Going to buy the Nissan Altima that gets rented every weekend and beat on? Bad idea. But that Chevy Tahoe/Suburban or minivan or something that's a lot of money to rent doesn't get used as often and tend to be in better shape.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My Expedition was a rental 3 years of me owning it and no issues (of any fault due to it being a rental).
Would I buy the low end Econobox rentals, not a chance in the world. SUVs or or upgraded vehicles with a good inspection I have no issue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The "problem" with 4Runners is they hold their value so well. Sometimes you can get a new one for just a bit more money than used.

I've known a few people who've bought from rental car companies, no major issues I've heard of.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
My understanding from a few years back is that rental car companies spec their main cars to the manufacture. So do not expect the rental to be the same in every aspect as a dealership car.

Several years ago, my dealer (Land Rover) provided an Enterprise car. When I returned it a week later, I told the service manager that I would like to buy the car.

He looked at me and said: "You love it that much?"

I said "No, I would put that piece of shit in your back lot and set it on fire."

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion but I think the idea rentals have been beaten to hell is overhyped. Every rental I get I treat gingerly for fear they will find a scratch that wasn’t there before. I don’t think most renters are renting just to abuse a vehicle.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
One of the major rental companies had what was essentially a used car dealership in the town I grew up in. IIRC we bought three cars from them over the years. One of them ended up as my first car. They all served us well. Of course this was a long time ago. But if it was a good deal now, I'd consider it again.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
In 2013, I bought a one year old Kia Sorento with 15k miles which was a former rental, from CarMax. There was no indication why it was sold with so few miles.

I drove it an additional 100,000 miles in the next 6 years. I'd still be driving it except some moron on January 19, 2020 changed 2 lanes on the freeyway without looking and clipped me on the front passenger side, turning me sideways and got me broadsided by the car traveling in the next lane.

No issues, though I was pretty scrupulous about regular maintenance.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought several, no problems whatsoever. Two were "Econoboxes."

Enterprise sell them with a 100 percent one year warranty. My friend bought one and complained about the brakes. Enterprise replace them.

As far as the Land Rover goes-dude, it was a Land Rover. For some reason, if you drive them across the desert or thru jungles, they work great. Dick around in town and you're begging for trouble.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
My understanding from a few years back is that rental car companies spec their main cars to the manufacture. So do not expect the rental to be the same in every aspect as a dealership car.

This is true, at least for GM.
A lot of rental units are Fleet-spec, a lot seemed to be equipped somewhere in between a mid-tier & top-tier trims.
In Chevrolet-speak, typical trims are LS LT LTZ (and now Premier). A lot of our rentals were in between LT & LTZ spec.
Impalas had a run of Impala Limited, they were LTZ-spec prior-generation cars, only available off rental or fleet sales.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would not hesitate to buy one after a thorough inspection by my mechanic. I think the talk about them abused is overblown. Does it happen? I’m sure it does. Common issues I could see are quick acceleration and wear on brakes. But the car is made to accelerate unless everyone who rented that car was driving it 1/4 mile at a time. Brakes? Those can be replaced easily and wear anyway.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A question we used to ask in the Navy on detachments.

"What's the fastest car in reverse?????"

"A RENTAL!!!"

With that being said, in the days of Car Facts and that kind of thing, the risk is probably lower. And most people treat rental cars pretty good, regardless of the stereotype.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I spent years as a consultant renting vehicles including insurance on the client's dime. My work included going to remote wilderness areas on jeep trails.

I once got to the rental company and the only vehicle they had left on the lot was a Pontiac Fiero two-seater. Ever been on jeep trails in a sportscar?

I would never buy from a rental company because I drove them like I stole them.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post