SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toughest 3-ring binder?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toughest 3-ring binder? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I have a LOT of recipes I’ve compiled over the years. Anything I make that is worth making again gets scanned or typed up, put into a sleeve, and kept in my binder.

I’m tired of the typical “heavy duty” ones coming apart after a few years.

What is something that can hold up to heavy kitchen use? It needs to be a ring binder.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17593 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google Saunders Aluminum 3 ring binder to see who has the best deal.
I used their stuff for my reports in the squad car. First rate.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16373 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That aluminum binder should get it done. I have an aluminum spring-loaded covered clipboard that is in continuous use; it was thrown out as "no longer servicable" by a nursing home in the mid-1970's. The binder should outlast the kitchen it's in.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2104 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have a few of these and have lasted at least 15 years or so of frequent use..

https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-...a-273750869931&psc=1

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6462 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
iPad.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
iPad.

And dropbox.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5714 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I do not want an electronic storage method. I already have an iPad, but I would much rather use hardcopies in plastic sleeves when cooking. They get splattered with sauce, dropped, shuffled, etc. Plus, I don’t want to deal with batteries, cords, scrolling, and other family members needing that iPad.

I never considered an aluminum 3-ring one. Typically when I thought of metal binders, I thought of the box-like ones I’ve seen LE use. Pricey, but those should last forever. I currently have 3-inch binder with dividers for categories. At this point, I’m starting to need separate binders for them, especially the dessert category.

The Wilson Jones one looks interesting; it appears to have metal hinges, but I cannot tell what the flaps are constructed of.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17593 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Slightly off-topic but related:
I recommend using sheet lifters. They prevent the sheets from sliding under the ring ends, making it easier to move the sheets and reducing wear on the paper holes.

I remember when these were provided with the binder; you have to buy them separately nowadays.

I got these. They are a bit thin; you could double-stack them. (I don't.)

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
^^ I remember those. They worked well so long as you don’t put papers in the side pockets.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Might also want to get tough, waterproof paper to print the recipes on.

Something like these

That way, if something icky gets inside the sheet protectors, you're still good.

Posts: 15140 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Flesheatingvirus

An instant karma if you would like it. I bought this a few years ago and never really ended up using it. It’s yours if you’d like it.

The more I think about it, I could see myself setting up my kitchen doo-dads and accessories in it, but first dibs to you if you are interested.

Just PM me an address and I’ll get it out next week sometime.

Tactical 3-Ring Cover System (Fits 1.5-2" Binders) in Coyote Brown

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F...cp_tai_Jg7.Db3SDT718

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12398 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Ronin! I will definitely put that to use. Email inbound.

The waterproof paper is neat. I’ll have to see if they make it for laser printers, too.

posted Hide Post
awesome Ronin , good on you , great gifting !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post