SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Much Fun Would a Chem-Lite Stuffed into a Helium Filled Balloon Be?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Much Fun Would a Chem-Lite Stuffed into a Helium Filled Balloon Be? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
And released on a Friday night?

Asking for a friend. Cool

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna have to be a pretty big balloon to lift off

Posts: 3392 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Have searched YouTube to see if it's been done before? I'm sure someone has tried it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It would have to be fairly large and tough enough to expand without bursting. That way you could get some real altitude.

It might be better to put a cheap battery powered flashing led array in the balloon bright flashing lights would be more eye catching and be indicative of intelligence.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If your friend buys this balloon, he/she would be able to launch up to 50 grams of light sticks/ flashy LEDs with 20 cubic feet of squeaky air.

https://www.amazon.com/Profess...0Grams/dp/B004I45LX0

And be as much fun as a balloon full of monkeys.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please take video when you do it and show us !!! I think that would be FUN !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3094 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a Chem-Lite tied to a kite and flown at night behind a ship doing classified research?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
add this Parachute so when the balloon pops the light can float down slowly after,

el linko

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Can one still buy helium? Nobody is selling it around here any more. They say there’s a shortage.

Posts: 27181 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had a high-school chum who made a series of candle powdered dry cleaning sacks. He'd build a circular wire frame from a clothes hanger with the hook twisted into the center and squished down to hold candlestick. Tape the mouth of the bag around the wire & there's a limp balloon.

After lighting it took surprisingly few minutes for the canopy to become filled & then buoyant. ..."so I'm told"..... His neighborhood was full of sightings in those cold winter days circa 1964ish. Hard to ID something resembling a glowing invertebrate sack floating in the depths of the night.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Howzabout some Instant Light Powder fluid partially filled in a helium balloon?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I had a high-school chum who made a series of candle powdered dry cleaning sacks. He'd build a circular wire frame from a clothes hanger with the hook twisted into the center and squished down to hold candlestick. Tape the mouth of the bag around the wire & there's a limp balloon.

After lighting it took surprisingly few minutes for the canopy to become filled & then buoyant. ..."so I'm told"..... His neighborhood was full of sightings in those cold winter days circa 1964ish. Hard to ID something resembling a glowing invertebrate sack floating in the depths of the night.

Add some colorful flashing lights and maybe you have a UFO powered by a balloon full of monkeys. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
They say there’s a shortage.

When serious users for important purposes like scientific laboratories have trouble getting it, then yes, that’s a shortage. The U.S. used to be the primary producer of helium in the world, but as I understand it that has slowed and therefore it’s not so readily available for other critical uses like children’s balloons.

But just as some people are convinced that we’ll all have “Mr. Fusion” units to power our cars long before oil reserves run out, no doubt some bright fella will figure out how to transmute nitrogen or some other element into helium, and we’ll be able to go back to having all the celebratory balloons filled with it we want. Or perhaps we’ll harvest it from the Sun where it was first discovered.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kkina:
Howzabout some Instant Light Powder fluid partially filled in a helium balloon?

>20% Potassium Ferricyanide. Be sure and keep away from heat and acid, kiddies. Just a safety precaution. Hence the glove. Fun with cyanide! Yay!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can one still buy helium? Nobody is selling it around here any more. They say there’s a shortage.

Just go olde school! Hydrogen is Where It's At!

Posts: 4842 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DetonicsMk6:
quote:

Just go olde school! Hydrogen is Where It's At!

Lots of it, and hey, worked for the Hindenberg!

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

They are full of hot air.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If you've got someplace where you can shoot outside at night, shooting Tannerite with glowsticks taped to it is like shooting aliens....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Back in the '70s I crewed on a hot air balloon. A friend was having a big 4th of July party and asked if the balloon could be tethered for up/down rides, we did it. The balloon had a battery powered strobe that would light it up at night, pretty cool. After a few rides the police showed up, there were reports of alien space craft in the area. The officer got a kick out of it, seemed he'd worked with balloons in the military.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post