SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reconnecting with my childhood Atari 2600
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reconnecting with my childhood Atari 2600 Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I recently bought an Atari 2600+. The various emulator games out there for computer, PS1, PS2, the joystick you plug into your TV, etc. just aren't the same as sticking an Atari cartridge in and sliding the power button on. My brother had our childhood Atari 2600 and I have our NES. I borrowed it to try the games out and every one worked but Harbor Escape by Panda. It was their knockoff of River Raid. You were in a submarine instead of an airplane and you blew through submarine nets at each level instead of bridges. That was one of my favorite games so I was determined to get the original 2600 hooked up to something.

He still had the RCA to Antenna switch we used on our console TV as a kid, so I dug up an antenna to coax adapter and had no luck running that through a VCR to get my composite out to a flatscreen TV. No luck there so I picked up on Amazon a RCA to coax adapter and tried it with zero success also. Next step I dug up a 13" CRT prison TV I had for the NES Zapper and had the same black screen. I thought for sure the Atari was just toast but I persisted in all the 1980s art of cartridge blowing, switch sliding and shaking and I started getting game images (like in Crimson Tide when they are trying to get the radio signal). Once it got a good game signal it seemed to work on every single cartridge except for Frogger, Donkey Kong, Skiing, and Harbor Escape. I worked on Harbor Patrol something fierce and finally it came back!

I went back to trying to run it through the VCR to get composite on a flatscreen TV or straight into the coax of a flatscreen with no luck, everything I have seen on Youtube says you need an upconverter for the flatscreen to pick it up because the resolution is too low. I have no problem running a NES or a N64 through a composite adapter straight into the TV, but both have higher resolutions.

What is everyone's favorite/rarest Atari 2600 game?

Posts: 2604 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The two I played the most was Indy 500 and Star Raiders. I think they both had to have an extra controller just to get them to work.

They also had a version of Moon Patrol that melted several hours at a time.

Zelda I and II wasn't enough, so I solved them both and played them again and again...

I still have my 2600 and most every cartridge made.

Posts: 9423 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E.T.

Lol, no, but we had it.
Probably Yars Revenge.

Posts: 235 | Location: Reidville, SC | Registered: October 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I love the old 2600! My favorite games are Demon attack and Pitfall. I wrote a game for the 2600 a few months ago - as soon as I come up with a name for it, I'm going to release it to the community.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I always liked Megamania and Chopper Command.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I didn't have an Atari but my best friend did. I liked downhill skiing.
I bought the cartridge from a classmate for $2.00

I think he might have stolen it out of the toy department display game at SEARS. lol

Posts: 21375 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I love the old 2600! My favorite games are Demon attack and Pitfall. I wrote a game for the 2600 a few months ago - as soon as I come up with a name for it, I'm going to release it to the community.

I vote "Paramania"

Posts: 2604 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

I vote "Paramania"

Not bad!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
River raid and Chopper Command were my favorites

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
River raid and Chopper Command were my favorites

Same here! I remember sending in a picture of the final screen on River Raid and getting a prize. 40 years ago, so I don't remember what it was, LOL!

Posts: 1369 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It was a patch. I had one sewn on my backpack! Cool

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rawny! Thought it was a sticker or patch, but wasn't sure. Never sewed mine on anything. I think it sat on top of the console until I boxed it all up and gave it to a neighbor's kids when we moved.

Posts: 1369 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Adventure

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5938 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I have two Atari consoles from the 1980s somewhere in a box in my house. Need to dig them up sometime and play some games.

My favorite game will always and forever be DEFENDER!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Adventure- I still remember running from that damn bat trying to steal keys…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
I want to get one of those Atari 2600+ things. I have a G.I. Joe footlocker full of carts a few feet away from me right now. I have a few of the Flashback consoles, and a Tiny Atari.

Favorite game : Missile Command

My video on the Tiny Atari:

Posts: 652 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Adventure
Did you find the secret dot that unlocked the easter egg?

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Asteroids, definitely.

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Adventure
Did you find the secret dot that unlocked the easter egg?

Nope. I had no idea what that was at the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5938 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Hooked up my old PS2, the original controller didn't survive the 18 year hibernation though. Got the Atari Anthology disc. Yeah, Gravitar, Lunar Lander and Battlezone. Includes the original 2600 games as well. At least it doesn't cost me my paycheck in quarters now. Big Grin

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post