SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frontier Airlines question - Cannot check bags more than 2 hours before a flight
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frontier Airlines question - Cannot check bags more than 2 hours before a flight Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My family and I flew Frontier Airlines this past week. Yes, I know their reputation, but they got my family of four from Orlando to Cincinnati and back, with a checked bag, for less than $500 total.

But one of their policies stuck me as very odd, and I wonder if anyone can offer a reason. With Frontier you have to visit a kiosk, you print your baggage tag, then take the bag to the counter to drop it off. When I visited the kiosk to do this, I was kicked out of the process because it was 12:30pm and my flight was at 2:34pm and I was therefore outside of the allowed 2 hour window within which baggage tags could be printed. I had no idea this was a thing until the kiosk informed me. So I waited 4 minutes, tagged my bag and then waited in line to drop it off.

The line to drop the bag was not long, but there was only one person working. That line took 35 minutes. And then we breezed through security with plenty of time to spare. But I have waited in security lines before that were 45+ minutes. I have also waiting in check in / bag drop lines that were 45+ minutes. With Frontier's policy, if those two were to converge, the person would miss their flight.

What reason could they possibly have for not allowing bags to be tagged and checked more than two hours before the flight?

Posts: 2359 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Probably poor business practice…

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Can’t help but think, at some airports, you may well want to be in the security line more than the 2 hours prior to your flight.

Posts: 6422 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
I went through this same BS over the weekend flying on Allegiant into Sanford. The only person working the counter said it was so the bags got on the correct flight...

Posts: 675 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day it most likely boils down to saving a penny and nothing to do with anything else that's good for the passenger. I looked at flying one of those budget airlines and after I totaled up all the different fees I ended up flying one of the major carriers because the price difference was marginal. For me I'd rather pay a bit more money for better service than save a few bucks on a cheaper ticket.

Posts: 1724 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
With Frontier you have to visit a kiosk, you print your baggage tag, then take the bag to the counter to drop it off.

Some airlines allow you to print the bag tag at home and then place it in a special plastic holder that you buy at one of the airport stores or from Amazon.

Sounds like this airline won't allow this, but saves a step.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Because Frontier.

Or as Pistoria said, because Allegiant.

Their baggage handlers are not programmed to actually match the tag with the correct flight.
The day that I got the call telling me that my mother had died, my wife and I got to O'Hare in plenty of time for United's last flight to Laguardia. Last flight of the day, there were just a handful of passengers and they moved us all into first class. Got to Laguardia and discovered that on a non-stop flight from Chicago to New York, with fewer than a dozen passengers, they had managed to lose my luggage.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31444 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve had this on American and Delta IIRC. Not sure it’s just the airline.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Gonna take a SWAG, and believe me...it's a SWAG, as that's all "below the wing" stuff I'm not privy to...

It might be that Frontier/MCO doesn't have the infrastructure to handle a sudden onslaught of bags dropped off en masse for flights 3, 4, or more hours in the future. They also may not have the staffing/manpower to do all that sorting for flights that far in advance. So the 2-hour timing might be a workable envelope for them to keep things from getting stacked up and possibly not getting bags to the plane on time for final loading.

United is spending Gazillion$ to update the baggage handling system at IAH. When it's finished, it is SUPPOSED to increase passenger efficiency by XX percent...don't recall the stat. I'm probably going to be retired by the time they finish it, unless the FAA raises the mandatory, age-discriminating retirement age to 68.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Delta make you print the tags at a kiosk too (at MSP), I don't know if there's a time limit or not, but my son printed his at least 3 hours before the flight and dropped them off without a problem last Tuesday.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It might be that Frontier/MCO doesn't have the infrastructure to handle a sudden onslaught of bags dropped off en masse for flights 3, 4, or more hours in the future. They also may not have the staffing/manpower to do all that sorting for flights that far in advance.

This would be my guess as well. Many years ago I worked part-time for a tour outfit that brought bags back to the airport for junkets. There were specific time limits for loading the bags into the airport system. It was explained that this was to avoid putting a bulge in the pipeline of capacity. We'd sometimes sit in the trucks, in a holding yard for an hour or two. It sucked.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:....but there was only one person working.

quote:
What reason could they possibly have for not allowing bags to be tagged and checked more than two hours before the flight?

You answered your own question. Frontier is a budget carrier. Everything is measured thru cost-cutting and savings.

If an airline accepts your baggage, then they're liable for it, the less time they have to hold onto it, the less chance they can be liable for something happening to it. Space is also an issue, if they take your bag, somebody in back/below, has to separate them and make sure they go to the right ramp/gate. Frontier is so cheap, they probably have a limited number of baggage carts so, again, cost cutting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 15083 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Frontier is so cheap, they probably have a limited number of baggage carts so, again, cost cutting.

Yes, and their fares are cheap, if you want top tier service then you have to buy a ticket on a top tier airline, Delta, American, United (yes I know that's subjective) vs a discount budget carrier Frontier, Allegiant....

So for the OP that's the Airline rule, likely because of space for storage, reduction in potential for lost luggage and limited staffing, again, you pay $80 each way you get $80 benefits and features, and should expect nothing more.

We flew Allegiant from Sanlando to Clarksburg, lots of luggage, check in was easy, including a child seat, same on return, but we didn't have Kiosks. Don't remember there being a "cut time" on checking in.

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post