SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for a wall stud finder?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for a wall stud finder? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I’m putting up some wall shelving in a pantry and don’t like the yellow Zircon one I got a few years ago, it’s not very good in my opinion.

I’ve tried the tap on the wall and listen method and it just doesn’t work for me, so please don’t suggest that.

I searched, no luck, I think this question was asked a couple years ago.

Thanks!

Posts: 11866 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is the one I have and use, and it works pretty well. Not 100%, but pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-...%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-10

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Bosch, works well.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was using the battery powered ones until one died and the replacement couldn't find a stud in the wall for anything. I went the old reliable el cheapo way and got one of these. Works well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-...nder-03040/202563186

Posts: 191 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been able to find a useful one, they all go crazy as soon as I pick it up.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I built some walls in my basement I bought a cheap stud finder at Lowes. I don't recall the exact price but it was around 25 or 30 bucks. Not an expensive tool and works well.

Posts: 1631 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve found they suck on textured drywall. I now use a tiny finish nail and a tape measure. Look at outlets, take off the cover and see which side the stud is on and go from there.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11309 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
I was using the battery powered ones until one died and the replacement couldn't find a stud in the wall for anything. I went the old reliable el cheapo way and got one of these. Works well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/C-...nder-03040/202563186

Those are good. Another thing that works good is a flashlight, I know most of you guys have a few. Lay it flat against the drywall, turn on highest setting, then look for imperfections or nail pops. Very effective for telling which way flooring joists go.

I do, do the tapping method, I have yet to find a machine that is better than me. Find me one that works with plaster and you might get me interested because none of my methods work on that crap.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a strong rare earth magnet to find the drywall screws/nails and go from there. Works on heavy texture/knockdown finishes as well.

Posts: 290 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like my neighbor, Dan. He’s always able to find ‘em.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9014 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’ve found they suck on textured drywall. I now use a tiny finish nail and a tape measure. Look at outlets, take off the cover and see which side the stud is on and go from there.

You are a clever devil. I use a T pin and a measuring tape then close the little holes by rubbing them with a thumbnail.

If all else fails, use a really attractive woman. They have no trouble finding a stud. Ducking and dodging and slinking off. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
quote:

This plus Neodymium thumb tacks.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
This one actually works
https://www.amazon.com/Frankli...55-84f3-eea4fa35082d

+1 these work really well

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^ This right here.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Electronic stud finders are a waste of time and money.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Hans...Finder/dp/B000IKK0OI

This is what I use for work.

Sometimes, I will use a nail. Pro tip, blunt the tip of the nail.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Turn on the AC and all of your electronics for about half an hour. Run the hot and cold water for five minutes or so.

Fire up your thermal imager. Everything will show up. Pipes, wires, studs, all of it. Even from outside through siding.

Also helps when checking HVAC ducts as well as water leaks around the house.

Kinda of a spendy way to go, but you can't hunt wild hogs with a stud finder, so... Wink

Posts: 9173 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
We like neodymium magnets to find nails or screws in the studs.

We like it because once you find a nail in a stud, it’s dead center.

We also like it because magnets are cheap and we really like it because we are cheap and don’t want to buy an expensive stud finder.

We also like it because magnets don’t take batteries.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ Big Grin Big Grin LIKE Big Grin Big Grin ^^^^^^^^

Posts: 11866 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Electronic stud finders are a waste of time and money.

Why?

God bless America.

Posts: 13526 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post