SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aluminum wheel and leather interior care questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum wheel and leather interior care questions Login/Join 
posted
To start the car is a 2001 Corvette. It has factory polished aluminum wheels that are factory clear coated. Wheels look nice, no corrosion. Is it safe to just polish and wax the wheels like the body would be.
The other question is about cleaning and conditioning the leather seats. I currently just wipe them off with a damp cloth when I wash the car. Would the Lexol products be appropriate, I've never done this in the 20 years I've owned it. Want to keep the low sheen look they have now not make them shiny.
Would appreciate hearing from you guys on the forum who enjoy detailing your cars.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
What part of the country do you live in ?? And is the vehicle parked in garage out of direct sunlight?? Especially if you live where inside car temps can easily reach in excess of 150*F or greater making the interior need major attention so as to protect the interior. As far as what product to use I have no idea but hopefully you will find something that works for you. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wax the wheels. I like Rejex.

Yes Lexol would be a good product to use. The Brown bottle is for dark leather and they make a conditioner for light leather as well as they make a cleaner. I find an old sock on your hand and mix the cleaner with water on a wex sock to make it sudsy instead of using it straight out of the bottle (use the conditioner straight).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kept Bum
posted Hide Post
Go on-line to Meguiar's they will tell everything you will need and how to use it.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth.".....Chief Joseph

https://pbase.com/shellyva/image/171613535

Posts: 88 | Location: Out there, somewhere | Registered: May 05, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
drill sgt

Take a look at Autogeeks site. They have everything you would possibly need to detail your car.

Posts: 27 | Location: Fluid | Registered: January 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Automtive leather interiors use coated leather. Leather conditioners will do nothing. Use a general purpose cleaner to remove any body oils and dirt, then a UV protectant to keep the coating from deteriorating.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
IMO, interior car care depends on frequency of cleaning and how dirty it is when cleaned:
  • Frequently cleaned and just dusty or mildly dirty - This is me. I recently came the conclusion that I was wasting my time using an interior cleaner and then coming back over the same spot with an interior protectant. Now, I just use a all in one product that cleans and protects. Meguiar’s Ultimate Leather Detailer would be a good leather specific example since it cleans, conditions, and protects; but you could go with their Ultimate Interior Detailer for both interior plastics and leather seats.
  • Dirty due to work/kids and/or infrequently cleaned. You're going to want to use separate cleaner and separate protectant. You'll need to use a leather brush to agitate the cleaner and wipe off with a microfiber towel. Once clean, use a separate microfiber towel and apply the leather conditioner.

Wheel care depends on dirtiness and goal:
  • Goal - apply a coating to make it easier to maintain. I use a wheel cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's® Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner) that has iron remover (i.e. turns purple as it dissolves iron particles) and then pressure wash it off before it dries. Then, I use my regular wheel & tire cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner), agitate the barrels, agitate the faces, and pressure wash it off. Once dry, I apply the same ceramic sealant that I apply to my paint. It doesn't last as long on clear coated wheels as it does paint, but it makes it easier to maintain.
  • Goal - maintenance wash. I use my regular wheel & tire cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner), agitate the barrels, agitate the faces, and pressure wash it off.
  • Filthy. Hasn't happened to me since moving Texas (Alaska and Canada were a different story). I use a wheel cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's® Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner) that has iron remover (i.e. turns purple as it dissolves iron particles) and then pressure wash it off before it dries. Then, I use my regular wheel & tire cleaner (e.g. Meguiar's Non-Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner), agitate the barrels, agitate the faces, and pressure wash it off. Any remaining spots, follow-up with a Mother's Powerball on the end of my cordless drill and a little bit of polish.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    Lexol is a good leather product. Keeping bright sunlight off and temperatures down (not left outside) is most important.

Since the wheels have clear-coat and it's in good condition, just wash the wheels before they get too dirty and try to keep brake dust off, especially in wet weather. A coating of regular car wax after cleaning is fine. Don't use harsh cleaners as once the clear-coat is damaged and degrades, the options will be limited.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know how really serious you are about your leather care. If you want the best product (it isn't cheap) you want to get Connolly Leather products. They are the recommended products by Rolls Royce and Bentley. I have used their "hide food" on my leather interiors for the last 35-40 years, and the leather still looks great.....not shiny. You won't find their products in NAPA or AutoZone. You will have to most likely order it. I was able to find it here in So. Az. without ordering any. It takes only a very small amount to treat the leather.

I love leather products, and like to keep them nice. Now you know!!

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Whatever you wash and wax the body with will be good for the wheels.

Lexol is good. But it may not do much good, because of the coating on the leather.

303 Protectant might be useful too. It is probably protecting the coating more than the leather itself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by peter41692:
    quote:
    drill sgt

Take a look at Autogeeks site. They have everything you would possibly need to detail your car.

Second this

AutoGeek Link

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post