SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    General Chuck Yeager, Dead at 97
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General Chuck Yeager, Dead at 97 Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted
Chuck Yeager passed away today, another aviation legend gone.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Gen...150145369444352?s=20

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace General Yeager.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16712 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
He always spoke his mind. HEck of an American and aviator. Rest In Peace

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Last of that kind, maybe. RIP.

He and my father-in-law had similar careers in the Air Corps and Air Force, although Yeager started doing the test pilot gig, while my father-in-law stayed an operational pilot and had some staff jobs. He met Yeager, but didn't really know him. My FIL retired as a Colonel, and Yeager stayed in longer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, shame on me as I did not even know he was alive still. Man, what a life he led, tip of the hat to the General.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to see the General go. Blue skies sir.

Posts: 4022 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bagged an ME-262 and had an impressive amount of citations and medals.
R.I.P.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
RIP General.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9367 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He made it to 97. Wow. That would be quite an accomplishment for anyone, but especially him. It's like he went out of his way to avoid dangerous situations.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Huge brass ones. RIP.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
RIP General. Enjoy your reunion with 'Glamorous Glennis'.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Here's a nickel on the grass. Gunfighter eyes >>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Met him at an Andrews AFB air show long ago. He deplaned and walked up to the rope line. My dad was in tears. All honor to that great man.

Posts: 3543 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I was starting to think he was always gonna be around. God Bless him

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RIP, General Yeager.

Very sorry to hear of his passing. Frown

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
His biography is a terrific read. Truly an American hero. RIP.

Posts: 10759 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Last of that kind, maybe. RIP.

Agreed. RIP. I will try to keep the memory of him in the Right Stuff in my mind as he was hilarious. One of our greatest pilots. RIP sir.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12645 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What a true American hero looked like, and definitely one of a kind. RIP sir, you will be missed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As all of you have said. May he Rip. One great American for sure!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19208 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Fly Even Higher.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post