SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cougar/Mt. Lion/ Florida panther confirmation? Update click link Bob cat
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cougar/Mt. Lion/ Florida panther confirmation? Update click link Bob cat Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted

https://imgur.com/a/KUNCz88

Game camera Pic from our hunting lease in SW GA. Only Pic we got with no tail in the Pic. What you guys think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hray,

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
looks like big’n to me...cougar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VonFatman,

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote cougar, would check with a wildlife biologist. If a Florida panther, they'd be very interested.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Cougar. I've seen a few.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5545 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Looks like a cougar to me. Does Florida have many?

Funny cougar story. When we first moved back to Missouri 20 years ago, I asked one of my BIL's if Missouri had any cougars. He said no, he's never heard of any. Just one week later I was reading our local newspaper and they had a picture of a HUGE cougar that was killed by a truck in the next town over. I cut out the article for him to read.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That’s a Cougar

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Big kitty

Posts: 1319 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Catamount

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Looks like a cougar to me. Does Florida have many?

Funny cougar story. When we first moved back to Missouri 20 years ago, I asked one of my BIL's if Missouri had any cougars. He said no, he's never heard of any. Just one week later I was reading our local newspaper and they had a picture of a HUGE cougar that was killed by a truck in the next town over. I cut out the article for him to read.

Funny you should say that In 1999 we were building our log home north of Springfield we were traveling from Springfield north on 13 (one of hundreds trips to Lowe’s) saw a dead Cougar on the shoulder of the road. Thought at first Yellow Lab....second look cat head. We did not stop because of traffic and dangerous location.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cougar seem to be thriving in places they haven't been seen in many years. About 3months ago, I spotted one crossing a nearby road on the western edge of Prince William County, Virginia. I reported it to local police and animal control. My report was forwarded to the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and the US Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Conflict Bureau (or something like that).

Since I didn't have video, photos or bite/claw marks, the report was considered "unconfirmed". There apparently hasn't been a confirmed sighting of a cougar in Virginia in over 130 years. No question I saw what I saw. Seen them in captivity. Saw one in the wild in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Thats a Bobcat.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Thats a Bobcat.

Have to disagree. I grew up in N. Idaho and saw several of them at one time or another. My step dad shot one near a cabin he and my mom had on Winchester Lake. Also saw a couple when I was out small game hunting.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Florida panther.

There are no other populations of Puma concolor (Puma/Cougar/Mountain lion) on the east coast, especially Georgia.

Contact https://www.fws.gov/ when you can.

Posts: 2348 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
In1995 some Texas cougars were released and mated
With Fla panthers successfully in Florida to bring the panther back from near extinction.

Posts: 4450 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
is there any way to determine how far away from the camera the cat is?

Posts: 3534 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
You cannot generally distinguish the Florida Panther from a Cougar from a photograph.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I saw a large dead male Cougar out near the local Airport in 2007. I phoned it in to animal control. They said there were no cougars in NC. So, I phoned the local news about it. The news called me back and said the carcass was gone from the location. When I called back animal control, they claimed they had picked up the remains and it had been a large yellow Lab.

I told them they were full of shit. The yellow lab doesn't have a 4 foot tail with a black tip and the head of a Cougar.

In 2012, horses and cows were being killed and eaten in Stokes County. My friend, a local Veterinarian examined some of the dead animals carcasses. He found Cougar bite marks on them as well as claw marks. Again, NC Wildlife said there are no Cougars in NC.

So, in 2013 on a frosty morning I am driving to work in Rockingham County NC. As I crest a hill and am cruising downhill to where a small bridge crosses a stream I see a large cat jump up onto and over the guard rail and cross the road. He was large enough that his head appeared to cross the shoulder of the road, on the other side, while his tail was still in the other lane. I know a Cougar when I see one. This was no Bobcat. I didn't even bother to call it in. No sense in it.

Cougars arepresent in many East Coast states. And NC is one of them. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
is there any way to determine how far away from the camera the cat is?

I'm going up Sunday for a week long hunt. I'll go by and take a picture with me in it to reference. I checked Ga. DNR and they state that in the last 25 years there has only been 3 reliable sightings. In 2008 a hunter shot onein Troup county and it didn't work out to well for the hunter.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:

I'm going up Sunday for a week long hunt. I'll go by and take a picture with me in it to reference. I checked Ga. DNR and they state that in the last 25 years there has only been 3 reliable sightings. In 2008 a hunter shot onein Troup county and it didn't work out to well for the hunter.

That will help to give us a reference point. Here is a picture of a bobcat one of my game cams picked up a couple of years ago in my back property. I measured the height of that tree to the right and it was a little over two feet. This is a damn big bobcat. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand:
Cougar seem to be thriving in places they haven't been seen in many years. About 3months ago, I spotted one crossing a nearby road on the western edge of Prince William County, Virginia. I reported it to local police and animal control. My report was forwarded to the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries and the US Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Conflict Bureau (or something like that).

Since I didn't have video, photos or bite/claw marks, the report was considered "unconfirmed". There apparently hasn't been a confirmed sighting of a cougar in Virginia in over 130 years. No question I saw what I saw. Seen them in captivity. Saw one in the wild in Michigan's western Upper Peninsula.

Probably because of the spread of these

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP