SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who Has a Good Red Eye Gravy Recipe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Has a Good Red Eye Gravy Recipe? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Been watching the Beverly Hillbillies. Do you have a good recipe for Red Eye Gravy? Lots of variations on the 'net. Recipes range from as simple as coffee/ham fat reduction to complexities of chicory, coffee, sugar, butter, onions, flour, yadda yadda.

Is Red Eye Gravy preferred for breakfast or dinner?

Maybe your recipes will be published in Sig Monkeys collection. Lets see 'em!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Eye is ham drippings and black coffee. My hillbilly relatives made it from ham fried for breakfast. Then you dipped a cat head biscuit in it. Sometimes you made a ham / biscuit sandwich with it. Damn, could they cook! Ruined me for non southern cooking. Nothing has been the same since I enjoyed it as a kid.
Sorry I don't have the exact recipe.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
YooperSigs has got it. You sauté your country ham in a cast iron skillet and then deglaze with black coffee and maybe a little water. A wad of butter at the end doesn't hurt. My granny would add some brown sugar but I don't. It goes good with biscuits and doesn't suck with grits.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15486 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can close the thread. Everything you need to know has been covered.

Coffee, and maybe a little water. Serve over grits. I consider it a breakfast food, good anytime.

Posts: 588 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
YooperSigs has got it. You sauté your country ham in a cast iron skillet and then deglaze with black coffee and maybe a little water. A wad of butter at the end doesn't hurt. My granny would add some brown sugar but I don't. It goes good with biscuits and doesn't suck with grits.

That is a pretty powerful image, Jim. From your kitchen?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! also goes nice with a couple of over easy eggs along with those grits.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
According to my copy of White Trash Cooking:

"After cooking the breakfast meat (bacon, ham, or sausage), remove it from the iron skillet and put it aside. To the drippins, pour 1/3 cup of strong coffee and stir while on the fire. Pour over hot grits or sop up with hot biscuits."

I highly recommend this cookbook/backroads travelogue. It's a blast to read and the photos capture a rural South that is rapidly being lost.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Damn, that looks good! Haven't had red eye gravy in years!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38695 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cured ham, biscuits, and red eye gravy is the food of the gods. Ambrosia is for chumps.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

That is a pretty powerful image, Jim. From your kitchen?
Nope, Google Images. I've got some grits on the stove right now though. (We've got snow here and it's as cold as a brass bra.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15486 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"It's so good, you'll wanna lay down and scream"

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post