SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ship hijack thwarted. Four men charged with affray.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ship hijack thwarted. Four men charged with affray. Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I guess I’ve been living under a rock. Didn’t know of the word “affray”. Nor “abseiled”.

“Four men accused of trying to take over a cargo ship in the English Channel have been arrested.

The men have been charged with affray after police boarded the ship on Friday in the Thames Estuary amid reports of stowaways threatening crew.

Samuel Jolumi, 26, Ishola Sunday, 27, Toheeb Popoola, 26, and Joberto McGee, 20, all of no fixed address are all due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday.

A dozen heavily armed Special Boat Service commandos abseiled from a helicopter on to a cargo ship on a daring mission to end a hostage drama.

Under cover of darkness, the crack troops swung on to the deck of the 770ft Grande Tema to tackle a gang of iron- bar-wielding stowaways who had forced the terrified crew to lock themselves in the bridge.

https://mol.im/a/6524815

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Abseil is Brit speak for rapell. It's from the German for "slide down a rope."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I guess I’ve been living under a rock. Didn’t know of the word “affray”. Nor “abseiled”.

Well, they aren't terms commonly used in the US. As noted already, they are British terms.

I only knew what "abseil" meant because I was introduced to it while on Table Mountain in South Africa. My wife though in some irony did know the word prior to that. But she learned english living in Ireland, Scotland, and Austrailia so it's not surprising that she would be familiar with common English words that I had never seen before.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So a bunch of club weilding thugs took over a ship of grizzled sea hardened merchant marines. I don't beleive it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of choads for “thinking” they could hijack a vessel in the English Channel. The Royal Navy without a doubt has had the English Channel pirate free for many, many generations.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Abseiled is pretty common in my line of work, for some reason rappelled is no longer used.

But in the tower industry we prefer "controlled decent", it sounds safer Roll Eyes

I always liked "dope on a rope" Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Honest sir, all 4 of them suddenly jumped overboard and sank like rocks before we could stop them...

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

You might be more familiar with one of the derivative words "Fray"...as in, to enter the fray = get into the fight

Affray means a fight in a public place

Abseil is from the German, while Rappel is from the French

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
So a bunch of club weilding thugs took over a ship of grizzled sea hardened merchant marines. I don't beleive it.

More like scrawny East Indian/African sailors.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned something new. Been Abseiling all this time and didn’t know it. Last one was 500’ vertical face in NH...

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only the Royal Navy, but the SBS, Special Boat Service, the seagoing version of the SAS (except, of course, they belong to the RN). Every bit as tough, capable and well trained as the SAS, but much less publicised and romanticised. Somehow I don't think a bunch of club wielding Nigerian stowaways (I think that's where I read the came on board) posed much of a challenge for the British answer to our Seals!

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post