SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portable Generators; Grounding and Surge Protectors?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable Generators; Grounding and Surge Protectors? Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same Predator for long power outages and for our small camper. I’ve been using the drop cord similar and because it’s an inverter/generator, it’s generally safe even for sensitive electronics, actually preferred. If you have the money to drop on the switch panel and plan to use it I’d say do it and have piece of mind it’s done right. Otherwise, the cord heating up due to faulty connectors or damaged wire are probably your biggest concern. If it’s just for a very rare occasion, I wouldn’t worry much but I also wouldn’t leave it running without being at the house, mainly due to theft risk but also for that odd chance Mr Murphy makes an appearance.

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

...Am I misunderstanding something here?...

I don't believe you are and I believe everything else you said is correct. If the generator isn't grounded to earth, the voltage between the generator's hot and earth should be 0.

A house electrical panel has to be grounded to Earth because the Earth is the second leg of the circuit between the power plant and the house.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

The grounding rod I have is only for use in conjunction with the transfer panel. I don't use it for plugging directly to the generator outlets.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^

The grounding rod I have is only for use in conjunction with the transfer panel. I don't use it for plugging directly to the generator outlets.

Yes, but the OP stated that he was going to use a cord directly from the generator, not a transfer panel. You told him you earth grounded your generator, without any clarification of your setup. If he were to drive a ground rod, it will create a dangerous configuration.

Also, it’s likely that your generator’s ground is bound to the generator head anyway, so your ground is bound.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8278 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Soooo, no grounding rod to earth then? I'm not going to fry myself trying to get a beer from the fridge after an earthquake?

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A freestanding portable generator that is not connected to your house wiring will not benefit from an earth ground . The generator frame is it's own " earth " .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you have an SDS Plus rotary hammer or hammer drill, they make a ground rod adapter which makes driving a ground rod very easy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I don't see any construction guys, oilfield, or any other ppl "grounding their gens.
Just fur a fridge running a couple of days ?

Way over kill being talked about here..
Sheesh ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Per OSHA:
Grounding Requirements for Portable and Vehicle-mounted Generators

Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):

The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cordand plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and
The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal combustion engine, and the generator’s housing) are bonded to the generator frame, and the equipment grounding conductor terminals (of the power receptacles that are a part of [mounted on] the generator) are bonded to the generator frame, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).

Thus, rather than connect to a grounding electrode system, such as a driven ground rod, the generator’s frame replaces the grounding electrode.

If these conditions do not exist, then a grounding electrode, such as a ground rod, is required.

Hope this helps clarify.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

A house electrical panel has to be grounded to Earth because the Earth is the second leg of the circuit between the power plant and the house.

No, that's not how it works.

There have been some limited Single Wire Ground Return systems installed elsewhere in the world, not for commercial power distribution in the USA.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11107 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Generally the shorter and fatter the conductors, the less resistance. If you could get away with a 25’ 12awg extension cord, that would theoretically be better than a 50’ 12awg cord, as would a 50’ 10awg cord and a 25’ 10awg cord better yet.

Leaving theory aside, in the real world the max continuous output of your generator at 120v is 13 1/3amps, well within the 15amp rating of 12awg wire. Sure, the peak output is 16 2/3amp, but what are the chances you can pull that for any length of time without tripping the generator offline?

If you’re only ever going to plug the fridge in, you certainly don’t need more than the cord you’re looking for. If you want the capacity to max out the generator, you still don’t really need more. You can always go with the “bigger is better” argument, but you certainly don’t need to.

When I plumbed a simple mechanical transfer switch between the propane powered backup generator and the solar system and added a weather tight box and cable so I could plug into my arc welder and use it instead of the propane powered Kohler unit, I think all the parts were less than your generator. However in your application the transfer switch would go between the mains supply and your breaker panel. If you have a separate disconnect before the panel and you can put the transfer switch between the disconnect (off and tested dead with a meter) and the panel, no problem. If the disconnect is built into your panel, it probably requires a utility shutoff and a licensed electrician, permit, and sign off of the work before the utility will re-energize. In CA, the permit alone is probably more expensive than the generator, not to mention the electrician. There are disadvantages to being your own power company back in a canyon behind a locked gate, but there are advantages too. Wink

Posts: 7098 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

There have been some limited Single Wire Ground Return systems installed elsewhere in the world, not for commercial power distribution in the USA.

Was it ever used in the US? I swear my grandfather, a lineman for Detroit Edison for 40 years, told me this. He retired in 1972.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^Not that I know of. Look on every power pole you see, you'll see the ground wire for each pole. If that ground loses connection then you can have your house grounding electrode conductor serve as a pathway to ground, but it usually results in 240v things acting weird and one leg getting over 120v and the other below 120v. Also for the transformer to make single phase 240v you need a ground.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Was it ever used in the US? I swear my grandfather, a lineman for Detroit Edison for 40 years, told me this. He retired in 1972.
Yes , it has been done in the U.S.

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post