SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I found some guns!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I found some guns! Login/Join 
posted
Wife and I went in for round 3 at her parents house. I had mentioned before that her dad passed a few years ago and we are just now starting to go through his things.

Today, cleaning out a closet a came across 3 guns that my MIL told me to take and do with what I wanted...

!) Remington 870 Wingmaster 12GA in decent shape - this one I will keep as I have always wanted one.

2) US Model 1917 Eddystone that I assume is/was an old military rifle. My FIL served and trained as a paratrooper in Japan so I am not sure on this story behind this. It is also missing the bolt.

3) Mystery gun - bolt action rifle in an old horse scabbard which I assume was from his days on the farm in mid 1900's. It has a scope on it and when I tried to remove to get info (under it) I found the screw was stripped.

If anyone could lend an eye on the deer rifle and has any input on the 1917 I would appreciate it.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictured is a Remington model 30. A rifle based on the P1917.

You might be able to find a bolt for the P 1917 and have a gunsmith headspace it to the rifle.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington model 30

Thank you

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, a number of Eddystone rifles had faulty receiver hardening (heat treating) and they should be checked for that. If not properly hardened, they are unsafe to fire.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
If I remember correctly, a number of Eddystone rifles had faulty receiver hardening (heat treating) and they should be checked for that. If not properly hardened, they are unsafe to fire.

Interesting, I am doing some reading on both models now and will prob ably seek out a gunsmith to have them looked at.

posted Hide Post
Early Rock Island and Springfield M1903's had receiver hardening/brittleness issues. M1917 rifles have a reputation (real or imagined) for the receiver ring cracking when they are or were rebarreled.

BTW, while your mystery rifle could be a Remington Model 30, it could also be a sporterized M1917. I see a ton of M1917 sporters for every Model 30 I find. Can you post some more pics of your mystery rifle and your M1917?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Interesting, I am doing some reading on both models now and will prob ably seek out a gunsmith to have them looked at.

nope,

no heat treat issues on P14's or M1917's,

and if it is a Rem 30, no worries (pic won't load on the work computer)

some Eddystones were known to crack if rebarreled,
apparently the machine torqued them in too hard, but that is not exactly common,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eddystone was the largest manufacturer of M1917s. They made aprox 1.3 million of the 2.5 million M1917 produced. Uncle Sam paid about $25 per Eddystone as of August 1918. M1917s are a beast. They are my second favorite milsurp (M-1 carbine takes first place, such a fun little rifle).

A good book for info on the 1917 is United States Rifle Model of 1917 by C.S. Ferris. You can find it on Amazon for about $30.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is marked Eddystone, it has to be a sporterized M1917. All the Rem model 30s are marked Remington Model 30.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Can you email or post images of the Eddystone?

I have a customer who might be interested even if it's not in the best condition.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

They have an issue when the barrel is replaced. Small chance of receiver ring cracking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
The bolt will probably turn up. Likely took out for safety. Now you just have to think like him and determine where he’d hide it. Best to consult MIL. My guess, sock drawer! Wink

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
The bolt will probably turn up. Likely took out for safety. Now you just have to think like him and determine where he’d hide it. Best to consult MIL. My guess, sock drawer! Wink

MIL had no idea these were even in the house, she thought the .22 and single shot 12ga we pulled out of garage were the only guns he had.

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I love a Remington Wingmaster. My opinion is that it's a shotgun that if, it is your only shotgun, it may be all you need.

I gave my Dad's 16 GA Wingmaster to my son on his recent birthday. I liked having it but I think it's now where he would have wanted it.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
. . .some Eddystones were known to crack if rebarreled, apparently the machine torqued them in too hard, but that is not exactly common,

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. Is the cracking limited to Eddystone receivers or has it been observed with Winchesters as well?

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
. . .some Eddystones were known to crack if rebarreled, apparently the machine torqued them in too hard, but that is not exactly common,

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift. Is the cracking limited to Eddystone receivers or has it been observed with Winchesters as well?

Rebarreled Eddystones only, not a known problem with Winchesters or Remingtons.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post