SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AITA for Pointing Out to the Insurance Company That I'm the Expert on My Patient?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AITA for Pointing Out to the Insurance Company That I'm the Expert on My Patient? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
How horrible. I can't even imagine how you feel. The denial of needed care happens nearly every day. There are REAL consequences to these denials as you well know. Some physicians have gotten the names of these doctors and reported them to their medical boards. Of course that sort of thing brings retaliation.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Jb, I am so sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking and worse, preventable.
Zs is completely correct here; it’s all about denials and keeping the $. I remember filing paper claims where if the “x” was not completely and perfectly in the square to be checked, the entire claim would be denied. Mind you, the paper claims were being sent to people, not computers- we’d already started shifting to eclaims and electronic submissions- these paper claim folks were the holdouts. Each LINE on the claim cost money… so we’d have to resubmit, and someone would double their take. Small and petty, but yet another way to delay payment on a claim- to both the provider AND patient. High schoolers are going off scripts as “reps”, and they just aren’t qualified. It’s incredibly sad, and again, it’s all about the $.
NTA.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I remember filing paper claims where if the “x” was not completely and perfectly in the square to be checked, the entire claim would be denied. Mind you, the paper claims were being sent to people, not computers- we’d already started shifting to eclaims and electronic submissions- these paper claim folks were the holdouts. Each LINE on the claim cost money… so we’d have to resubmit, and someone would double their take. Small and petty, but yet another way to delay payment on a claim- to both the provider AND patient.

My ex is a psychologist, billing medicare, medicaid, and private insurance. She has said for many years now it is standard to get the first submission denied as if the claim isn't even looked at, just rejected. So then they have to resubmit once or twice more before getting approved.

All of this costs money for the provider, which raises their prices to patients, and costs money for the insurance racket which is passed on to patients as higher premiums or onto taxpayers as higher taxes.

Posts: 9459 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until you turn 65 and have to go on Medicare. First off, Copay assistance is forbidden once you are on Medicare. So if you have to take an expensive drug for cancer or something else you'll pay 25% of the full price until your Deductable is met and 5% IIRC the rest of the year. Basically if your on a high dollar script that costs something in the range of 4000 dollar per 30 you'll be spending 5 to 6 K per year for that drug.

Then there is the yearly Physical, something that was supposed to be free for everyone under Obamacare. Except for those over 65, once you are on Medicare you'll have to pay full price for a yearly physical. IMO that is actual evidence that Medicare does want their "clients" to die, as quickly as possible.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not just Medicare. Under the high-deductible plans offered by most employers that 'free' physical for people over 40 isn't free. Instead, there are a bunch of required labs and the cost last time I got a quote was $1900.

No more physicals after you're 40, better for pharma and others if they way for something serious to have developed before you get help.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I always told people the thing I liked best about my 20+ year practice with a group model HMO was that I NEVER had to call an insurance company to get authorization for anything up to and including a cardiac transplant.

Physicians set the guidelines, there was some feedback if they thought you were overdoing testing or whatever, but in my case I was on the national guidelines committee with other physicians.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I hate stupid little acronyms. Jeez, use proper English.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Because the company hasn't updated its guidelines, I'll have to talk to an oncologist at the insurance company to get an override.

No shit, Sherlock. Sorry, I meant to say No shit, Dr. Sherlock.

You would think they would triage the calls from the information they have as to who needs to talk to whom. That first call certainly was a waste of time.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would think they would triage the calls from the information they have as to who needs to talk to whom. That first call certainly was a waste of time.

^^^^^^^^^^^
That was purposeful to waste the physician's time. It is not unusual to be directed to a urologist when your specialty is cardiology.

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I have sat in a official capacity monitoring CS agents whose whole duty is to talk to insurance companies. This was a while ago, however it’s amazing to see these people who have memorized the phone menus and know the exact words to say in order to get through the bullshit.

It’s a remarkable process to watch. I think it was some religious hospital group as my client.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’ve never done it myself, but know of folks who immediately started swearing to get them escalated immediately. Probably these days the phone just disconnects.
Anyway, the key I’ve used is repeating “representative” until I get an actual person, then immediately requesting a supervisor.. who typically isn’t immediately available, and requires a callback to me. If I’m in a really bad mood, I can get through relatively quickly by chewing that “representative” someone out, but it’s truly disheartening for us both. I shouldn’t have to bitch someone out to get a logical answer from someone who actually knows what’s going on instead of a simpleminded screener, and I’m sure they don’t enjoy me doing it. It’s awful.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post