SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joined Costco yesterday
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined Costco yesterday Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
After having been a member of Sam’s Club for nearly 16 years, decided it was time to give it up for Costco. Wanted to years ago but Sam’s was so much closer and more convenient.

Last year, V-Tail brought me to Costco to have a look around and saw their products are probably more along with what we look for now. They seem to have more organic products than Sam’s. Plus the Walmart stance on ammo irked me and those are the same company.

First impressions as a member is that the place is cleaner, people working there are friendlier and we hear more English spoken than Spanish LoL One thing of note was how fast we managed to check out. They had the cashier plus someone helping out the items on the belt trying to get you checked out faster. Stopped at the snack bar and they had some of the automated kiosks. There was even a nice young lady there to help with those and they had 4-5 people getting orders ready. Huge contrast to Sam’s where the cashier is usually also the person getting the food.

I did the $120 membership. I enjoyed my visit yesterday and am glad with the decision so far

Question for you more experienced shoppers with Sam’s and Costco: are their house brands pretty similar?

Posts: 13127 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam’s and Costco: are their house brands pretty similar?
I think that you will find that the Kirkland Signature (Costco's house brand) is premium quality stuff!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Now that you are a member be sure to take advantage of their online "2-day groceries" which has everything from peanut butter to toilet paper. All non-perishables and if you order $75.00 or more the shipping is free to your door.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samsclub lets you check yourself out by scanning items as you place them in your cart. You then bypass all checkout lines and head directly to the exit. Not sure Costco has that feature yet.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Sam's is trash compared to Costco.
The only Kirkland product I didn't care for is the beer, everything else is top notch. Check out the Citi Bank card too, pretty good cash back amounts.

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Start with the Kirkland bacon. Great bang for the buck. Their choice beef and pork is the equivalent of other places premium cuts. Get the $5 roasted chicken. Yum!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kirkland columbian coffee is my choice.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Member of both (for now). Kirkland branded products seem to be a cut above Members' Mark when you compare like products. That Kirkland thick sliced bacon is excellent. Also, Costco' gasoline is Top Tier whereas Sam's is not. Similar price per gallon.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
"Joined Costco yesterday"

Holy synchronicity, Batman! So did I. Eek Big Grin ($60 membership)

I have been following the Costco threads on SIGforum.
My brother purchased hearing aids from them last week and I am probably due.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It’s the difference between turd and a tootsie roll. They might look the same but you’ll know when you have it in your hand.

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely like to check it out as an alternative to Sam's or BP's, but our closest one is nearly 75 miles away.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pizza at the Costco. front counter by the slice is great. Frozen whole pizzas in the back not as good. Not the same pizza.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only bad "Kirkland" item I have found are their flashlight batteries. I have a number of them leak.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
We switched from BJ's (4 miles away) to Costco (20 miles away) at the end of July. We went to check it out and ended up joining with the exec membership and the Citi card.

We tried the Kirkland brand paper towels that while they aren't Bounty I'm still good with them. We just picked up a pack of Kirkland brand toilet paper but haven't used it yet, been using the Cottenelle Ultra so we'll see. Unfortunately the Costcos by us don't carry the Cottenelle.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

that will put space in your massive wallet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
For us, Costco is (unfortunately) not an option. None are in this state (Arkansas)

Sam's Club: 12 Miles
Costco: 150 Miles

When we lived in Arizona, all of our shopping for the Resort was at Costco. I had a Business account and used their AMEX CARD for cash back.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Selecting Costco because of Wal Marts stance on guns is silly since Costco is worse on guns.

That said, we're members of both and prefer Costco due to the product selections.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
Selecting Costco because of Wal Marts stance on guns is silly since Costco is worse on guns.

That said, we're members of both and prefer Costco due to the product selections.

True, Costco doesn't have gun ban signs up here since they carry no weight in FL, however their membership terms explicitly state no carry of firearms and you lose membership. That being said, nobody is checking, and it shouldn't be a deal breaker since we all agree property rights are important as well..

Been an executive member for years, so we still get a little money back from that as well as the card discount. Kirkland stuff is generally as good or better than name brand.

Link

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the 200 dollar store!
The only way to get out under $200 is to not get a cart. Sometimes that doesn't even work. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We've been Sam's Club members for over a decade and one year I didn't know what to get the wife for her birthday so I got a Costco membership and have renewed the last couple years. With 3 kids we are at Sam's Club weekly and Costco maybe monthly. I like how Costco rotates items more but Sam's is cheaper for name brand items. After Sam's renovated to look more like Costco and put in the self service aisles, the experience there vastly improved.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post