SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey JALLEN and other market guys...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey JALLEN and other market guys... Login/Join 
posted
Any reason to steer clear of Realty Income currently?

Looks like it's near a 52 wk low.

Any reason not to jump in at that price?

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Hard to pick bottoms and tops. Would suggest purchases in chunks at various prices until you get to your desired number of shares. i.e. a quarter of your position at X, next quarter at Y, etc.

Full Disclosure - I have open orders at a price just slightly lower than it is today to add shares and I am long "O".

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3796 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I know of no adverse developments that would prompt a sell off.

Realty Income sells on a yield basis, so as interest rates rise, the O's will be under price pressure. I've been expecting an interest rate rise for ~10 years now, wrong all that time!

It's only fair. Low interest rates are responsible for a good portion of the remarkable rise in price.

My next dividend arrives next week. Smile

Based on current price, it's a 4.6% yield.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the rise of on-line shopping and the closing of stores by Sears, Penneys, even "hot" mall stores like Bebe have a negative effect on Realty Income's long-term prospects?

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Doesn't the rise of on-line shopping and the closing of stores by Sears, Penneys, even "hot" mall stores like Bebe have a negative effect on Realty Income's long-term prospects?

I don't have the latest breakdown on the properties, but most are single tenant commercial properties long term triple net leased. That was what they started with exclusively, but I believe they have widened their criteria to other situations. Sears/Kmart/Penneys have no impact.

From their website:

quote:
Realty Income maintains a diversified real estate portfolio of over 4,900 commercial properties subject to long-term, net lease agreements. The properties are leased to 250 commercial tenants, operating across 47 industries, and located in 49 states and Puerto Rico.

The majority of our properties are leased to retail tenants that have a service, non-discretional, and/or low price point component to their business. Maintaining a diversified portfolio helps ensure the stability of our revenue that supports the payment of monthly dividends.

The top twenty tenants are listed here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Think I will pull the trigger on some.

For long-term. Not a 'make a quick buck' thing.

----------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, Jim, for that information.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

In the past, it has always come down and touched the 200 day moving average.

Zacks has it rated as a 4 or sell.

https://www.zacks.com/stock/quote/O

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of 'O' and have held it for several years now. Bought in at just under $20 a share and have sold off half of my shares twice as its gone up.

Very happy with that stock. Thank you Jim. And for the advice on the book as well. Its more than a one-time reader.

Not so happy with an ETF picked up - XLE - has been a huge disappointment

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Thanks guys. Think I will pull the trigger on some.

For long-term. Not a 'make a quick buck' thing.

----------------------------------------

I guess your buying drove the price up today!

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if thats all it takes, can you buy some XLE as well?

thanks, I owe ya Smile

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53852 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
if thats all it takes, can you buy some XLE as well?

thanks, I owe ya Smile

Yes market was up nicely - Dow at an all-time high.

Usually a stock price will fall dramatically after I buy some! Big Grin

----------------------------------