SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you ride or wear your toboggan?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you ride or wear your toboggan? Login/Join 
Picture of JSW
posted
I have a friend, born and raised in the northeast, and it is an unending source of amusement to him that to me a “toboggan” is a knit-type winter cap you wear on your head when it’s cold outside. To him it is a kind of sled for riding down snow covered hills. I was brought up in Kentucky and honestly can’t recall ever hearing the sled definition until I was an adult and did some traveling.

So the question is this – what was the first meaning of the word toboggan you knew and what part of the country were you brought up in?

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
a type of sled for riding down snow covered hills

Iowa

Posts: 22930 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’m with you, JSW. When I was a kid we wore toboggans when it was cold. My ex in-laws thought it amusing also.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Togue eh.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13405 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I’m with you, JSW. When I was a kid we wore toboggans when it was cold. My ex in-laws thought it amusing also.

This is strange because as a life long Texan I’ve never heard it called a toboggan until recently in life. We always wore “winter hats” or more recently beanies.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Alabama a toboggan was for your noggin, a sled was for riding downhill on the rare snow days we got.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I wear mine regularly (actually a "watch cap" from a KARMA that Brecadria made and offered...it's my favorite winter head wear)...when I hear toboggan I think of a "sock hat" being from the south and all Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the upper midwest. Toboggans were sleds not hats.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23299 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Sled.

Brooklyn, NY.

The first time I heard about wearing a toboggan was after I moved to South Carolina.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
NW here and toboggans were (are) sleds without rails and knitted hats were (are) watch caps.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The first time I ever heard “toboggan” described as a hat is about a minute ago when I opened this thread. Of course, a “toboggan” isn’t just a sled, it’s a very specific type of sled of all wood construction with a steam bent bow in the front.

Posts: 13289 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sort of like a sled, but not exactly. A sled has runners, a toboggan slides on a flat wooden bottom.

The thing on your head? I was issued a watch cap in boot camp (Navy).

The Urban Dictionary has another definition for toboggan, referring to sex on the stairs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30709 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Central Lower Peninsula Michigan.

A toboggan was a wooden, flat-bottomed sledding device, usually held 4 or more people.

That thing on yer noggin was a stocking cap until I joined the Navy, at which time it became a watch cap.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15258 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I want to say, here in the south, it was probably a “tobogganing hat” then was shortened to just toboggan.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a toboggan

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm from the Northeast, and a toboggan was always a type of sled.
This is actually the first time I've heard of a hat type called that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16527 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I'm from the Northeast, and a toboggan was always a type of sled.
This is actually the first time I've heard of a hat type called that.

Ditto.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A toboggan was a winter hat that kept your ears from freezing!! Perhaps a Southern thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6628 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Sled has 2 runners. Toboggans have wooden slats.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Colorado a long time ago. A Toboggan was a sled. The knit cap was a “ski hat”, some neighbor kids called it a toque.

Posts: 26932 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post