SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    High end dog kennels.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end dog kennels. Login/Join 
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted
Does anyone have any experience with high end dog kennels? I have a 70lb German wirehaired pointer and he needs a new kennel. This will mostly be used for transportation in the bed of my truck to and from hunting locations. Depending on the trip this might also be where he sleeps during the night. I mostly drive to hunting spots but if the kennel is airlines approved flying is not out of the realm of possibility.

I'm considering gunner kennels the primos kennel and orion kennels by Jackson kayak. Unfortunately I can't find a local retailer for any of them to inspect them ahead of purchase. I do vet a small LEO discount through gunner kennels but that wont be the determining factor.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a dog, GUN DOG has been one of my favorite magazines for a long time. I do have friends that have dogs and I take them for walks and give them treats when they do good when I try to train them.

Here are articles on kennels by GUN DOG and WILDFOWL:

https://www.gundogmag.com/edit...s-and-kennels/175506

https://www.wildfowlmag.com/ed...-dog-kennels-/357841

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Check out gundogsupply.com

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2430 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Orion Kennels. Not cheap but very well made

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Impact Case & Container, maker of high end gun cases, also makes high end dog crates. I saw them at a hunting show a few years ago and they are impressive. And REALLY expensive.

https://www.impactdogcrates.com/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Impact Case & Container, maker of high end gun cases, also makes high end dog crates. I saw them at a hunting show a few years ago and they are impressive. And REALLY expensive.

https://www.impactdogcrates.com/

I have one of their folding cases. It's awesome.

Posts: 167 | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Gunner kennels for our GSP's. They are very well made. Kinda pricey, but then again so are our dogs.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
I have a couple Gunner kennels for our GSP's. They are very well made. Kinda pricey, but then again so are our dogs.

Have you looked into flying with your gunner? My GWP is expensive too.

Posts: 919 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I've never flown with dogs before, and likely never will.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1223 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
In my opinion (worth what you paid for it Smile ), a box for the truck bed and a box for flying would likely be teo different things in my world. I would want a box for the truck bed that could be bolted in or secured to prevent sliding around and I wouldn't be afraid of it being heavy or overbuilt to offer protection from wind, elements, and possible crash (unless the dog rides in the cab to get to the camp. Even if the dog is in the cab, I would desire previously mentioned traits as travel from field to field load ups would be better to the kennel instead of cab (avoiding mud etc. in cab).

For flying, I would want light and small to avoid excessively increaaed fares. Honestly, I probably wouldn't fly with a dog. Even cramming one the seat as carry on seems extreme and unpleasant for the dog.

I have seen truck boxes that allowed for ventilation to be adjusted. Some even offer up gun storage at the top. I probably haven't helped based on your request. If nothing else, my goal was to offer things to consider. Also, my answer is based on hunting upland game in the midwest. Pickup beds in KS during pheasant season can be brutally cold....

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post