SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trouble shooting issue with my JD LA145 mower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble shooting issue with my JD LA145 mower Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
So I was trying to get my yard mowed before I leave for a week and had a problem.

There is a RIO latch switch that allows me to back up without the engine cutting out. I use it fairly frequently. Well I hit the switch then proceeded to back up but realized that I would be driving over some large gravel and decided to pull the mower disengage switch and proceeded to drive over the gravel without incident.

When I went to reengage the mower deck it would not engage...I drove back to the shop, shut the motor off and it would not turn over...

Any idea where to look? Is it the RIO switch or perhaps the mower engage switch or something else??

Thanks. I’ll probably have to wait until I get back to tackle it...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
I drove back to the shop, shut the motor off and it would not turn over

Did you still have the blade engage lever 'in gear'? They won't start if 'in gear'.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
What kind of a shooting problem does your mower have?

Sorry--I couldn't resist. My mind works weirdly.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The reverse switch shouldn't affect starting.
You have a seat switch, neutral switch, blade switch and brake switch on some mowers.

If all of these are in the proper position, I would check the seat switch. Pull the plug to the seat switch and jumper a wire across the plug to see if it will start.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Well after M-11’s obvious comment I went back out and checked and yes the button was in the down or non-engaged position BUT it did start... I had put the battery on the battery minder because it’s starting to die.

I did manage to mow another third of the yard but then (like a dumb ass) dis-engaged the mower and like before it would not engage and when I shut it off it would not start..

Could it be the battery?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would use a voltmeter and check the voltage. You could also have corrosion on the battery terminals.

But it does sound like the battery is on its last leg. I use automobile batteries on my lawn tractors.

Sometimes if the automobile battery is getting weak, think winter time, I take and use it on my lawn tractors. If you break down in your yard, no big deal. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
My JD commercial zero turn gets bitchy when the battery is dying. There's something in the control computer that seems to need full voltage. If the battery is giving out, I would have it tested, and replace it if it is dead before screwing with the rest of the electrical harness.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Well after M-11’s obvious comment I went back out and checked and yes the button was in the down or non-engaged position BUT it did start... I had put the battery on the battery minder because it’s starting to die.

I did manage to mow another third of the yard but then (like a dumb ass) dis-engaged the mower and like before it would not engage and when I shut it off it would not start..

Could it be the battery?

Works after AC charge, fails after running for a while. Sounds like the "alternator" to me. Not charging battery while running. Check battery voltage while running should be > 13v.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
I will check it when I get back from my trip.

------------------
Eddie

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Just to add; the issue on mine isn't low voltage supplied by the battery, it's an over voltage condition on the charging side caused by the damaged battery not taking the charge, and that shuts the machine down.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a john Deere 475 and the battery is very inaccessible and covered. After dealing with intermittent cranking problems where it would turn over then it wouldn't, I discovered that the positive battery terminal was very corroded and eaten away and the battery was low on water. I replaced the cable end and filled the battery and it has been fine ever since.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post