SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you do for someone that isn't allowed to accept gifts from clients?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you do for someone that isn't allowed to accept gifts from clients? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Let's just say that one of my son's helpers has been off due to covid 19. This person still gets paid their full salary so they don't have to do anything to still get full pay. However, this person has been doing everything they can for Marky, from including him in activities to just taking him while we work, to keeping his schedule as normal as possible.

I'd really like to thank this person with a gift or money or something but they are forbidden from accepting gifts from clients. I know a friend of the person's spouse so there may be an end-around there. Not sure.

I don't want to do anything to jeopardize anyone's job but I do feel the need to reward the kindness.

Please advise.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You'd have to give everyone a gift. Like $50 gift cards to a local store. For everyone.

Me, I use a $4 ballpoint pen. Buy them by the box for less per. And when I want a services person to remember me or want to 'give' them something, I leave the pen on their desk without a word. Not much help, but that is the extent of my 'giving' when it is forbidden.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
It won't be a direct financial benefit to the person, but you could always write a letter to their boss/CEO and tell them the employee has gone above and beyond to help your son.

You could make a donation to a charity in the employee's name and let their employer know.

Would something like homemade cookies or some other edible get them in trouble?

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
- Restaurant gift card (thru friend) to the spouse?

- Lunch (take-out) gift card that covers Marky, AND the helper, during their time together?

- Black Rifle Coffee sampler sent to the spouse?

- Hand Written personal 'Thank You' note?

- 'Above & Beyond' Recognition Letter to the helpers Boss/Director/CEO?

Just spit-ballin' here.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8917 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
They have a charity they feel strongly about? Maybe you could make a donation in their name.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you can get the persons home address I would pick up a gift card and put it in the mail with just a thanks. No name included. They will be able to figure it out.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the problem. I would express your sentiments to them.

I would then cut and groom their yard when no one is home. It has happened to me when I got laid up for three months. The neighbor lady cut my lawn. He cannot refuse that unless he sees you doing it and calls the cops. LOL

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you decide.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
It won't be a direct financial benefit to the person, but you could always write a letter to their boss/CEO and tell them the employee has gone above and beyond to help your son.

This is no small thing. This can help out at performance evaluation time. Employers are looking for someone who is willing to go "above and beyond." Promotions etc are affected by these things. Long term this may be the most valuable thing you can do.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
In similar cases I have bought a gift card at the local cafe, enough for two average meals usually. No name of giver or receiver on it. Drop it in an envelop and simply put "Thanks from "xxxxxxx"

In a lot of cases there is a minimum they can take without breaking the rules. I know of one instance where that can accept up to $25 bucks...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Either a round of golf or going clay shooting usually works for me for about 90% of the men. The rest I send food, usually lunches, to where they work.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What if he just got a gift?
Don't know who it was from, or how it got there, it just kinda "showed up".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A six-pack of Charmin?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
You'd have to give everyone a gift. Like $50 gift cards to a local store. For everyone. ...
Not everyone deserves a reward though.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to write the letter and maybe send an anonymous gift card.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark,

We did similar several times for a particular care giver helping my mother.

Everything was anonymous (gift cards, cash...).

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was in the CG, we were unable to accept gifts...just pulled a drowning guy outta the water and he wants to take the crew out to dinner....boat just caught fire and we doused it and saved your dogs.....ship sinking and we pumped it dry and fixed the hole...just had a great time with us while we did our CG thing and counting your life jackets

All those things happened to me.

On several occasions I loudly proclaimed that due to policy we could not accept a few cases of beer dropped off in the driveway of the station at the end of our shift.....

One guy dropped off 20 pounds of shrimp in coolers and beer at 0700 on a Monday morning as we all left the station....

There are ways around policy.

Get creative. Drop a gift card in his mailbox, drop off a case of beer or bottle of good bourbon....slip it into his car while it’s in your driveway and don’t say anything...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would write a three paragraph letter to his company, attention: boss. Make it appreciative and complimentary . But leave out specific's. Before you mail it , show it to this person . For his approval. If he says it's ok, then git'er done. Include all of your contact information.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Crisp C-Note!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My first thought was to hand-write a personal thank-you note. Such a note carries a strong personal relationship and should be well received. If you know who, a nice statement to the person's boss expressing how helpful he has been would not be inappropriate--some bosses like to know how much community support their employees are involved in.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only issue I can see with writing to the helper's boss is that he MIGHT get in trouble for providing assistance anything like what he normally while off, even if he is being paid. I'm not sure of the way that company is structured, so I can't say definitively.

If the helper is not formally working right now, then the direct approach to giving a gift would not be covered by the company policy. Just give it directly to him and express the appreciation you have for including Marky in activities.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post