SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder: Right About Now Is The Time For Grub Control
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminder: Right About Now Is The Time For Grub Control Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
If you've had trouble with grubs in your lawn: For most of us right about now, through the end of the month, is the time to put down grub control.

I mention this because a couple members in the last year or two have asked about grub control--usually too late in the season to address it.

Btw: Even if you don't see them or experience the irregular patches of yellowed or brown grass that signals an infestation: If you have a problem with moles, or with skunks digging up your lawn, you probably have a grub problem.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Damn. I was thinking about dinner - and my waist.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
What would you suggest for treatment? I've got moles and I asked a local landscaper and he said hard to get rid of them. He recommended deep aeration but I think he was kidding.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
What would you suggest for treatment? I've got moles and I asked a local landscaper and he said hard to get rid of them. He recommended deep aeration but I think he was kidding.

Apply chemical grub death, and you kill what the moles eat, therefore end the mole problem in your yard.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think I need grub control.

Something is coming out at night and digging dozens and dozens of 1 inch holes in my lawn, some shallow, others 3-4 inches deep Confused

My neighbor says it’s got to be skunks out digging for grubs, all this time I thought it was squirrels but the holes seem to appear overnight.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I think I need grub control.

Something is coming out at night and digging dozens and dozens of 1 inch holes in my lawn, some shallow, others 3-4 inches deep Confused

My neighbor says it’s got to be skunks out digging for grubs, all this time I thought it was squirrels but the holes seem to appear overnight.

I've got both skunks and squirrels they are different holes if you pay attention. No grubs though, skunks still look for them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you suggest for treatment?

There are several products. I'll be using Scotts GrubEx1.

Be prepared for sticker shock. Grub control is expensive.

quote:
I've got moles and I asked a local landscaper and he said hard to get rid of them.

It is hard to get rid of them. So what you want to do is give them no reason to be there in the first place, by removing what attracts them.

quote:
He recommended deep aeration but I think he was kidding.

LOL! Yeah, I think so. It'd have to be damn deep to get to the moles.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My neighbor says it’s got to be skunks out digging for grubs,

That's what it sounds like to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
No grubs though, skunks still look for them.

I respectfully disagree. The skunks wouldn't be digging for them if they weren't there. Skunks don't randomly dig all over the place hoping to find grubs. They dig where they sense grubs.
quote:

Lawn Damage from Raccoons and Skunks: Get Rid of the Grubs!

Just like a dog, raccoons or skunks will walk across a lawn with their nose to the ground. Their sense of smell is very acute and they are able to detect smells that humans cannot. Once they locate some grubs, they will tear up the lawn, pulling back chunks of turf in search of more food.

Full article: Lawn Damage from Raccoons and Skunks: Get Rid of the Grubs!

(I didn't realize raccoons did it, too.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I respectfully disagree. The skunks wouldn't be digging for them if they weren't there. Skunks don't randomly dig all over the place hoping to find grubs. They dig where they sense grubs.

I'm quite certain I don't have them. I disturbed a LOT of dirt in my yard to relevel portions. Centipedes, cicadas, weird looking worms, and crawly things of all types, but no grubs. The skunks specifically dug in the disturbed areas last year, this year nothing. They were hunting something in the disturbed areas, but grubs it was not. Plus I rototill my garden every year, again same mix of weird underground stuff, but no grubs. I think they just liked the easy digging.

They shred my neighbors yard who's never applied anything as well as close to the fence line, so he *may* have some.

I spread grubex every few years JIC though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I read mouthwash was a common mixture that golf courses used to kill them.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post