SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First time shooting for my daughter, proud dad...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time shooting for my daughter, proud dad... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I'll second all the comments here but ask that the next time you go you wear ear protection as well. Children learn by watching others..

Not if I'm shooting with a can, without it obviously would wear it. She wanted to keep them on because "they're so pretty..." so I let her.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dad!!!

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Well Done Dad

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Many moons ago I took darthfuster jr #1 shooting for his first time. There have been 3 others since him for a total of 4 jr darthfusters. They all have become excellent and capable shooters over the years. Three of them were home for the holidays and we went shooting together. It has been a long time since those three were able to go shooting with the old man.

When I see the pic you posted of your daughter, it reminds me of those formative years in the jr DFs' lives. I watched them competently manage the firing line and run their weapons last week. They didn't need me anymore to remind them of safety, function, technique etc. Watching them perform and compete in fun made me so proud of them. It all starts with the first time shooting.

Frankly, I envy you for the years ahead you have with your child to train and teach. That time is over for me now and I miss it. Take time, if you remember, to enjoy the moment while shooting with her in her youth. It goes by irretrievably fast. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29716 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome. Glad you guys had a blast.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! those moments are the best aren’t they ?

I have a ziplock baggie at home in my keepsake box with the first few 22lr cases my son ever shot and his first target. Now he asks me almost every weekend if we can go shooting. He’s a few months shy of 11.

Daughter turned 9 on Monday she has casually asked when she can go shooting but never in a serious tone maybe I’ll surprise her soon.

I was going to take my son shooting on some BLM land but their website is down due to the shutdown and I didn’t want to drive 2 hours to find out the gates are locked.

Posts: 4778 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well done, Dad. Great picture!

Our daughter was taught to shoot when she was big enough to hold the .22 single shot. She was, and is, a good shot altho she does not do much anymore. It never attracted her. I taught her 2 boys to shoot starting with BB guns and moving up to more substantial stuff as they matured. Both are still into shooting and hunting.

The oldest (Nate) shoots competitions held by his SF command at Bragg. I saw him do a 300 yard head shot on a deer not long ago. Said he didn't want to waste meat.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting if she asks Mom to take her to the range. Might get Mom more involved in that area.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post