SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Panic Time? Oscar-Bait Movies Keep Tanking at Box Office
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic Time? Oscar-Bait Movies Keep Tanking at Box Office Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
If you ask me, the time for the whole concept of an Oscars has come and gone.

The entire paradigm of movie watching has shifted and isn't coming back to what it was; streaming is taking over and movie theaters are dinosaurs. All the big theaters around me which used to be pretty packed on a Friday or Saturday night look dead and with the exception of Top Gun Maverick, I haven't even felt the urge to go out to a theater in several years now. I was at a movie for my kids this past summer and for a Saturday I was shocked at how little staff they had running the place, it seemed like they had like two people in the entire place.

What do you all think? Seems like Hollywood isn't putting out good movies anymore anyway and they really don't have any real Oscar worthy movies this year EXCEPT for Top Gun. Seems to me like the Academy Awards are going to turn into some sort of art-house thing that no one pays any attention to:

Panic Time? Oscar-Bait Movies Keep Tanking at Box Office

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I think the entertainment landscape is too fragmented to support the old Hollywood distribution model.

If the studios got together and pushed the streaming window out to where it used to be for home video (rental/VHS) they might have a chance, but I don't see that happening.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bring back the movie drive-in's, although I can't remember a single movie I ever went to when I was dating. Wink

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You have streaming services like Netflix, Apple, and even Prime Video coming out with their own movies now.

The indoor tv and sound systems have evolved on the same level as when computing power moved from mainframes to servers over the internet.

You do need big picture movies on the same level as Top Gun Maverick to bring people to the theaters. I think the competition has lowered theater tickets to lower than what used to be matinee prices. At the same time, theaters are having to upgrade their seats to offer the same, if not better, seats than in one's home. The only way they make money now is food sales.

The last time we went to a theater was for Maverick. The tickets were self-serve and, frankly, security was nonexistent that one could just walk into any showing. The only things that were manned was the food counter.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that part of the problem is streaming services - that and the quality and size of screens in the home. But, it seems to me unless you're somewhat of a pervert, not very many movies will attract you. IOW, Hollywood seems to be catering to the LGBTQHFZIR... crowd and no one else. ESPECIALLY at the Oscars.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t watch TV so I don’t see ads for new movies. I stream everything and most content is ad free. I stream sports and I ignore the ads. I generally have little idea about new releases. I might stream something new. Going to a movie theater means driving somewhere, dealing with parking, and then having to deal with the jackasses inside who are multitasking the movie with their social media shit. No thanks. As far as the Oscars go I just don’t care. It’s the industry patting itself on the back.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Its damn near $75 to take a family to a movie , get some drinks, some popcorn, box of candy. And most of them suck anyway.

Ridiculous.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
When you have sh*t, woke, LGBTQ-themed movies like “Bros” (GMAFB Roll Eyes) that pander to less than 1% of the woke, gay population, you have to wonder why the studio is perplexed that it bombs at the theater. Just watching the adverts for it on TV, my exact thought was, “Who the phuck is gonna go watch THAT?!?!?” I’d have to believe there are those in the Conservative LGBTQ community that thought the same thing.

I can buy Milk Duds for a buck a box at Kroger or Walmart and watch a great movie on my 60” TV with Bose sound system in the comfort of my own home.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
When you have sh*t, woke, LGBTQ-themed movies like “Bros” (GMAFB Roll Eyes) that pander to less than 1% of the woke, gay population, you have to wonder why the studio is perplexed that it bombs at the theater.

I'm convinced it is the "woke" agenda being pushed in modern entertainment that is causing much of the failures in film, TV, and music. The Top Gun Mavericks movie proved that a film that people will pay and watch, will attract crowds to expensive movie theaters. Woke is killing business everywhere in entertainment; Netflix is losing money hand over fist. Same with all of the major film studios, including Disney, once a powerhouse. Viewership for The Oscars, The Emmys, and The Grammys are dismal. Woke news TV shows are getting cancelled because of dismal ratings in the low hundreds of thousands in a time slot, while conservative ones are getting millions of viewers.

"Everthing Woke turns to shit"- Donald J. Trump

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I've seen three movies since 2018, Jungle Cruise (grand daughters loved it) Dune and Maverick. I haven't had the slightest tingle to see any other of the industry's wretched offerings.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... Christmas 2021, all in the office were provided with Village Gold Class + food evouchers.

The excitement was the latest Bond movie, which I still have not seen.

I used two to see the Elvis movie. Enjoyed that.
12 peeps in the gold class cinema, total space for 50.

The glitz and glamor of the golden years, the moguls, the stars, Paramount, MGM ... gone.

Remakes and woke.

I barely watch any free to air tv, let alone streaming services.

Just not interested in sitting and staring.

</chris>

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I went out to the movies. Not that I was a huge theater goer, but I'm sure not now.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Bring back the movie drive-in's, although I can't remember a single movie I ever went to when I was dating. Wink

I sure do. Late Feb. 1980. A night of several firsts. And it was the not ironically named 'Jaws II'.

Whew.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Liberal Oscar Bait movies are old news. Limbaugh joked, but was right, when deciding "Best.." that isn't the big five awards, pick the most bleeding heart liberal cause for the win.

Back when Rogue One was out, WMAL had a segment discussing the state of movies then. Studios only release one of three types of movies: Superhero; kids animated; and reboots/remakes/sequels. And the few that don't fit that mold are either the leftwing Oscar-baits or something that makes the studio know they will make money. Movies are not getting made, and studios are about making money as fast as possible and having the faith in their product.

Plus a lot of big names have moved to streaming services. Why limit yourself to cramming everything into a 90-120 minute movie when you can get 8-10 60 minute episodes/season to tell your tale. Star Wars: Andor is good because it is has the time for a slower pace and sell this is a world falling deeper into the Empire's authoritarian regime, not having to have it spoon fed in a narrative.

I really want to see The Mauritanian. A guy I used to work with is 'in' the movie. Well, an actor portrays him. And I am curious to see how they portrayed him, especially since IRL he is a bit of a character himself. But I do not want to give one cent to see it.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Top Gun Maverick sure deserves a few Oscars. I hope it gets a bunch.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Oscars shouldn't, and typically don't, have anything to do with box office draw. At least not in the big categories (best actors, picture, director, etc.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love going to the theater but other than Top Gun there simply isn’t anything in theaters that I want to see bad enough to pay the money for. Anymore a lot of movies in theaters either get released on streaming platforms on the same day or within a short period.

Every current or upcoming movie that I can think of that I am interested in is by a streaming service anyway.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Oscars shouldn't, and typically don't, have anything to do with box office draw. At least not in the big categories (best actors, picture, director, etc.)

That seems to be the point of the article and OP.

With the award shows promoting and rewarding only the wokest of the woke, movies that are being made to win Oscar’s are losing money.

I remember when movies won tons of awards and set box office records because they were great movies that had mass appeal instead of being art house films made for 2% of the population.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I devote as much time to the Oscars as I do to NBA basketball. None. Been to the theater only once in the last 10 years to see Ford vs Ferrari on IMAX screen. Wouldn't mind seeing Maverick on IMAX.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in a theater was when Open Range came out.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post