SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can someone explain to me how Amazon makes any money
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone explain to me how Amazon makes any money Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well they succeeded In closing all their competition- brick and mortar stores

Amazon makes money because the suppliers pay for shipping

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Amazon Prime? Think of the millions of subscribers at $100+ a pop. I'm sure it cost next to nothing to stream movies and TV shows. Plus I'm sure there is a large population of people that pay additional money to either buy or rent non-Prime shows for the convenience of not getting off the sofa.

Well everything any company does is for a buck. You just need to decide if what they are offering for that buck is worth it to you.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sounds like USPS to me.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

with a mediocre low margin retail business attached.

Most retail is low margin. You have to be selling Gucci or Rolex to earn high margins in retail.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Sounds like USPS to me.

Only more efficient because they're non-union and politicians don't sow fear (through the media) if revenue requires cut-backs in service days or lay-offs. Wink

Amazon not making enough profit to warrant four trucks on my street per day, they'll cut back to once a day or every other day.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:

Volume Smile
My uncle had a store. He lost thirty-eight cents on every sale, but he made it up with volume. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post