SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can someone explain to me how Amazon makes any money
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone explain to me how Amazon makes any money Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I ordered a new belt through Amazon for $29.95 on prime.

It shipped from from the seller in Ohio to the nearest by Amazon facility in Ohio.

From there it left Ohio and landed in the Lakeland Florida Amazon facility,then went to another Amazon facility in Lakeland.

From there it went to a Amazon facility 5 miles away from my home, then left to go back down to Lakeland that is over an hour drive away.

From there "Lakeland" it went back out for delivery to my home over an hour away.

At one point during the trip they could have just left it at the distribution center 5 miles from my home.
This is a huge facility they do delivery's out of.

This happens all the time. It also usually adds at least a day to the delivery time.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen that issue. I suspect it’s based on what trucks are going where. No sense sending truck to your house if they already have trucks going a different route.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volume Smile

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They also have an insane return policy which I'm certain people are abusing the everloving shit out of.

I don't think they are making any *actual* money...

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
mostly through advertising and their web service (AWS)

Link

Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS) is a subsidiary of Amazon providing on-demand cloud computing platforms and APIs to individuals, companies, and governments, on a metered pay-as-you-go basis. These cloud computing web services provide a variety of basic abstract technical infrastructure and distributed computing building blocks and tools. One of these services is Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), which allows users to have at their disposal a virtual cluster of computers, available all the time, through the Internet. AWS's virtual computers emulate most of the attributes of a real computer, including hardware central processing units (CPUs) and graphics processing units (GPUs) for processing; local/RAM memory; hard-disk/SSD storage; a choice of operating systems; networking; and pre-loaded application software such as web servers, databases, and customer relationship management (CRM).

The AWS technology is implemented at server farms throughout the world, and maintained by the Amazon subsidiary. Fees are based on a combination of usage (known as a "Pay-as-you-go" model), hardware, operating system, software, or networking features chosen by the subscriber required availability, redundancy, security, and service options. Subscribers can pay for a single virtual AWS computer, a dedicated physical computer, or clusters of either. As part of the subscription agreement,[8] Amazon provides security for subscribers' systems. AWS operates from many global geographical regions including 6 in North America.[9]

Amazon markets AWS to subscribers as a way of obtaining large scale computing capacity more quickly and cheaply than building an actual physical server farm.[10] All services are billed based on usage, but each service measures usage in varying ways. As of 2017, AWS owns 33% of all cloud (IaaS, PaaS) while the next two competitors Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud have 18%, and 9% respectively, according to Synergy Group

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5753 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
Volume Smile

^^^

In my cul-de-sac of 15 houses, I see an Amazon truck at least fours times a day. Then toss in the UPS, FedEx, and USPS trucks (one each per day) plus any private/unmarked vehicles each day - there are A LOT of products being delivered.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Unless you know the whole picture logistics can be confusing. There is a reason they are doing it that way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that the vendors on there have to pay Amazon a cut, that by itself would be a shit ton of money

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the planes and trucks were already going to travel those routes. putting your package on board didn't cost them anything.

like skins said, there is a really big picture. it doesn't make sense for one package but it makes sense for millions looked at as a whole.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ads… Just like everybody else

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
All your data belongs to us..."

We sell your viewing, purchase, return, address, etc. to others along with whatever margin is made on the actual goods purchased. Did we mention that since we host a ton of sites, we have hooks in a lot of places and opportunities to target buyers with their desired data points?

It isn't just Amazon.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Logistics is an odd duck when you only see a little piece of it.

Way back in 2002, I picked up seven brand-new New Holland skid steers from the factory in New Holland, PA (about an hour from Baltimore, give or take). Now Case had just purchased New Holland, and had decided to consolidate all equipment distribution out of their main disti in Wichita, KS. I drove those skid steers 1200 miles and two days, delivered them to the warehouse, and parked outside the gate. There I made a few calls and found a load, from Case, of a load of skid steers bound for Italy, shipping out of the...

...Drum roll...

Port of Baltimore!

So I backed into the dock, loaded up those very same skid steers, chained them down and headed right back to within an hour from whence I came. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things the consolidation made sense, but when viewed from that one instance, it was as dumb as a box of hammers. Drop-shipping the skid steers from the factory directly to the port would have saved thousands in shipping.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
As said, Amazon makes its money from it's delivery service by sheer volume of transactions that do make a profit. But it's Amazon web site isn't the biggest profit center.

For it's North America Amazon operations, it made $8.7 billion dollars in 2020. For the international operation, it made $700 million; in contrast, international lost $1.7 billion in 2019.

The biggest piece of income comes from its Web Services operation from which it earned $13.5 billion in 2020. Amazon's Web Services income is 59% of Amazon's total income.

As a Supply Chain Manager, I know logistics is about minimizing overall costs. While your order may have been not cost effective, the cost of that inefficiency is very small since it didn't take up a lot of space in storage and fuel costs in transporting it as part of the loads it was contained in. The cost savings comes from the efficiency of moving the bulk orders and using standardized processes instead of creating specific processes for specific orders.

It's based on the same way that Fed Ex moves its parcels and the airlines design their hub and spokes legs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they? For a longtime they lost money in the online retail sales and subsidized it from the profits made in their cloud storage or another division of the company.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
the planes and trucks were already going to travel those routes. putting your package on board didn't cost them anything.

like skins said, there is a really big picture. it doesn't make sense for one package but it makes sense for millions looked at as a whole.

You can be sure Amazon makes money on the sales of all that stuff. And I am sure that while the logistics look funny sometimes, they make sense as a whole.

Of course they also make a ton of money on the servers they rent, and from other sources, but the sales operation is profitable. If it wasn't they would shut it down. You don't have to like Bezos, but he isn't a dope.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Do they? For a longtime they lost money in the online retail sales and subsidized it from the profits made in their cloud storage or another division of the company.

I got my numbers from their 2020 Annual report, page 26.

Amazon 2020 Annual Report

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
They make money in a number of ways. Sure, pure sales is one but your data is another. prime carries a yearly fee although in the scheme of things it's peanuts for the consumer with the free shipping and movies et al they provide. You can argue their streaming selections are not top drawer, but they do have original content plus live sports. I personally find it a good value. YMMV.

Now Netflix is on my hit list.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
mostly through advertising and their web service (AWS)

^^^This. AWS is about 12% of revenue but over 60% of profit. And that number is growing.

Amazon is a hugely profitable web services company with a mediocre low margin retail business attached.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime? Think of the millions of subscribers at $100+ a pop. I'm sure it cost next to nothing to stream movies and TV shows. Plus I'm sure there is a large population of people that pay additional money to either buy or rent non-Prime shows for the convenience of not getting off the sofa.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Amazon Prime? Think of the millions of subscribers at $100+ a pop. I'm sure it cost next to nothing to stream movies and TV shows.

Ummm...what about all the Amazon series and movies they produce now? Those actors and producers ain't doing it for free.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post