SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Raise taxes on the 1%ers...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raise taxes on the 1%ers... Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
... they don't seem to mind.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/25/...nt-to-be-taxed-more/

America’s richest billionaires say they want to be taxed more

By Mark Moore June 25, 2019 | 2:43pm | Updated

The richest of the 1 percent have a message for the 2020 presidential candidates: Tax us.

​Financier George Soros and heiress Abigail Disney are among the 19 billionaires who published an open letter Monday ​to Republican and Democratic hopefuls saying that they “support a moderate wealth tax on the fortunes of the richest 1/10 of the richest 1% of Americans — on us.​”​

​”​The next dollar of new tax revenue should come from the most financially fortunate, not from middle-income and lower-income Americans​,” they wrote.

Along with Soros and Disney, signers include Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes, Molly Munger, daughter of Berkshire Hathaway vice chairman Charlie Munger, and members of the Pritzker family — along with one anonymous signer.

​”America has a moral, ethical and economic responsibility to tax our wealth more​,” they wrote in the letter.

​A wealth tax could ​raise funds to address the climate change crisis, bolster health care measures, curb income inequality and provide relief for those with student loans.

​”​The concept of a wealth tax isn’t new: Millions of middle-income Americans already pay a wealth tax each year in the form of property taxes on their primary form of wealth — their home​,” the letter says. “​The kind of moderate tax on the richest 1/10 of 1% that we support just asks us to pay a small wealth tax on the primary source of our wealth as well.​”​

​The letter noted that a number of Democratic candidates — Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, former Rep. Beto O’Rourke and Rep. Tim Ryan — support the idea.

​Warren has already proposed a plan to tax 75,000 of the wealthiest families in the country.

It would put a 2-cent tax on the dollar on assets over $50 million and an additional levy of 1 percent on assets over $1 billion.

The tax would raise nearly $3 trillion over 10 years.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why don't they just send it in? Nothing stopping them.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the bikers will be really upset. Link explains it all.

LINK: https://guestofaguest.com/new-...iginal-one-percenter

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
As long as it's voluntary, I'd have no problem with it. It's the liberals 'You make it and we'll take it' that bothers me.

What will really be done with that influx of cash? Hopefully not to typical special interests. Our veterans need to be high on the list of recipients.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
America has a moral, ethical and economic responsibility to

Spend Less!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the definition of "wealth" is a very loose and ambiguous one. Anybody who, for example, owns a home, has a substantial savings account, a 401(k) or other retirement plan will eventually be targeted.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
Yes, send it in now. There is nothing stopping those virtue-signaling liberals from writing a check for half their net worth and sending it in to the gov't. Do it now. You don't need a law passed to force you to do it. Put your money where your mouth is....

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Spend Less!

Amen!! Of course political types of any persuasion don't use that word!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Assholes are free to write checks in whatever amount and however often they want. They can instruct their accountants and lawyers to stop with the deductions and asset shifts. But no, they demand a law. It's cover for themselves so when the demand that they pay more rings out from the money grabbing leftists they can plead that they'd pay if only there were a law.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The problem is that the definition of "wealth" is a very loose and ambiguous one. Anybody who, for example, owns a home, has a substantial savings account, a 401(k) or other retirement plan will eventually be targeted.

The problem with our tax code is NOT that the wealthy don't pay enough. They do. The problem is that the poor don't pay enough.
I'm totally serious. We have exempted almost 50% of the people from paying a dime in Federal Income Taxes.
The tax burden should be spread out farther. Wide and shallow rather than narrow and deep.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24054 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with our tax code is NOT that the wealthy don't pay enough. They do. The problem is that the poor don't pay enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I could go for that. The problem is that there are not enough wealthy people. Middle class people will always pay the bulk of the taxes since there are more of them.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Assuming that's accurate, giving politicians $3T additional dollars would mean $5T of additional spending. The problem isn't now, nor has it ever been, revenue, isn't spending.

And chellim1 is spot on. In my way of thinking income at any level should not be taxed at all. That's immoral. Taxes should come from spending where everyone across the board pays the same rate for every dollar spent with no carve outs. That would even insure illegals in the country pay something. And it would be progressive given the rich spend a whole lot more than the poor and as such, would pay a whole lot more in taxes. Best of all, April 15th would just become another day on the calendar. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's it? Roll Eyes Less than one-tenth of the "Medicare for all" wet dream. And forget a drop in a bucket, it's not even a whiz in the ocean for all the other shit like reparations, student loan forgiveness, free college and lots more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Assuming that's accurate, giving politicians $3T additional dollars would mean $5T of additional spending. The problem isn't now, nor has it ever been, revenue, isn't spending.

And chellim1 is spot on. In my way of thinking income at any level should not be taxed at all. That's immoral. Taxes should come from spending where everyone across the board pays the same rate for every dollar spent with no carve outs. That would even insure illegals in the country pay something. And it would be progressive given the rich spend a whole lot more than the poor and as such, would pay a whole lot more in taxes. Best of all, April 15th would just become another day on the calendar. Smile

I'm fine with some people not paying taxes, just as long as they don't get to vote how to spend my taxes. No representation, without taxation.

With no skin in the game, there is no reason one wouldn't want free education, abortions, Medicare for all, debt forgiveness, and an iPad for everyone over six. Once you are paying for these pie in the sky ideas, support goes way down.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I could go for that. The problem is that there are not enough wealthy people. Middle class people will always pay the bulk of the taxes since there are more of them.

This statement above is false. -- Middle class people will always pay the bulk of the taxes since there are more of them. --

According to the IRS for 2016,

Top 1% paid 37% of taxes
Top 5% paid 58% of taxes
Top 10% paid 69.5% of tax

For the 140,000,000 returns, 14,100,000 returns/families paid about 70% of the tax burden. I am pretty sure no one would classify folks in this demographic as middle class.

https://taxfoundation.org/summ...ax-data-2018-update/

--k

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
‘Poor’ people don’t pay any net taxes

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top 1% paid 37% of taxes
Top 5% paid 58% of taxes

What percentage did the bottom 30% pay? How about bottom 10%?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20807 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the 140,000,000 returns, 14,100,000 returns/families paid about 70% of the tax burden. I am pretty sure no one would classify folks in this demographic as middle class.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would. Define middle class. There are lies and there are damn statistics. Your figures are confusing. Whatever. I am not a CPA. Show me a simple BAR GRAPH. The term middle class can be defined sociologically as well.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kranky:

This statement above is false. -- Middle class people will always pay the bulk of the taxes since there are more of them. --

According to the IRS for 2016,

Top 1% paid 37% of taxes
Top 5% paid 58% of taxes

https://taxfoundation.org/summ...ax-data-2018-update/

--k

Wouldn't the top 5% be considered wealthy rather than middle class?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7071 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is all a political game. I would go for an across the board ten percent of income or a use tax. Simple enough.